Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 8:54:58 PM EDT
Anyone here into buying silver bullion? I have gotten into it lately for several reasons. First is its a easy way to save money. By that I mean if I buy a couple 10oz bars or a 100oz ingot I have made it harder for me to have a moment of weakness and blow money on shit I dont really need. Especially if I have it in a safety deposit box. Next reason is even if the price stays in the $8.50 range I wont loose money. Lastly I have been talking with a few other guys I work with and there is some serious talk that with china becoming a huge user of silver for electronics(which cant readily be recycled from electronics) the price has the potential to hit $50 or more an oz in the next couple years. If not, its still an easy way to stash some $$ back other than the usuall ways in addition to a 401.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
you could be like Charlie Englehart (the real goldfinger) and corner the silver market
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Load up on silver, it should pay off bigtime somewhere between March of 06 and new year's day 2009.

Find a place to sell.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Where do you sell a 100 ounce ingot?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
you could be like Charlie Englehart (the real goldfinger) and corner the silver market

I wish, my goal is to have 1000 to 1500 ounces in the next year or so. Im hoping the price will stay under $10 an ounce untill I have that much. I know some who are still buying all they can and will continue up to the $20 an ounce point.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#5]
any reports on your speculation of $50 oz?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Load up on silver, it should pay off bigtime somewhere between March of 06 and new year's day 2009.

Find a place to sell.

Coin dealers, Ebay and I suppose if the price gets really high some of the online precious metal houses like Bullion Direct will buy at a little under the spot price. Im getting mine from a guy I know at a tad over spot paying cash.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:09:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Find a place to sell.

Coin dealers, Ebay and I suppose if the price gets really high some of the online precious metal houses like Bullion Direct will buy at a little under the spot price. Im getting mine from a guy I know at a tad over spot paying cash.

I bought 200oz today, and I'm expecting to get another 300oz by Friday.  100oz bars, name brand, stamped .999fine.

Salud.

Watch the dollar plummet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
any reports on your speculation of $50 oz?

Nothing Id bet the farm on but thats the nice part of this. Im in it mainly to park some savings that I can still liquidate in a few days or maybe a week but not be tempted to piss it away. Use Google and you can find some info. The $50 an ounce crowd isnt the majority but they make some good points.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
i was looking into buying some gold and silver futures back in october, i'm still kicking myself because i didn't
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Find a place to sell.

I bought 200oz today, and I'm expecting to get another 300oz by Friday.  100oz bars, name brand, stamped .999fine.

Salud.

Watch the dollar plummet.

WOAH,, Id like to get that much but Im probably going to get another 2 100 ouncers in January. Looking at the historical trends it seems to drop a bit after the new year. Im not a rich bastard but Im pretty intent on getting to my goal ASAP.
What do you think about Gold? I dont think now is a good time to buy since its gone WAY up lately. I like silver because its somewhat affordable to buy compared to gold and platinum.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:15:34 PM EDT
[#11]
naw i don't think it will break $15 but wht do i know
I did buy some at $6.50-7 Ill dump it if it gets over $12 may do it at $10 its just running too fast and you are now seeing commericals on TV to invest in it  that is always the sign of the end in  any investment run  of course YMMV
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:16:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i was looking into buying some gold and silver futures back in october, i'm still kicking myself because i didn't

I cant believe what copper did recently. From what I can find its mainly due to the demand of china's growing need.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:23:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm looking a palladium for a number of reasons. 2006 might be a bad year.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Find a place to sell.

Saving those pre-65 coins too, eh?
People don't seem to realize that all the dollar is, is paper, it is backed by faith, not by gold or silver.
Once someone speculates against our currency, or a nation loses faith in us...
Look on the bright side, it will make nice TP.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:23:23 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought silver bullion when I was a kid in high school.  I tried to open a futures account but I put my real age on the application and they denied me, thank god.

But I bought a couple hundred ounces of silver bullion from the precious metals dealer and just stuck it in my closet for a year or two, waiting for the price to rise (it was at a super-low level in 1990/1991 or so). When the price rose a decent amount, I went back to the dealer and cashed in.  Between the premium above spot they charge when they sell it to you and the discount below spot they offer when they buy it from you, I didn't make a cent.  Or it was a very neglible amount, like $10 or $20.

Not having leverage sucks.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:24:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
People don't seem to realize that all the dollar is, is paper, it is backed by faith, not by gold or silver.
Once someone speculates against our currency, or a nation loses faith in us...
Look on the bright side, it will make nice TP.

Ooo, I'm running low on tp, can you send me all those worthless dollars in your wallet?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I bought silver bullion when I was a kid in high school.  I tried to open a futures account but I put my real age on the application and they denied me, thank god.

But I bought a couple hundred ounces of silver bullion from the precious metals dealer and just stuck it in my closet for a year or two, waiting for the price to rise (it was at a super-low level in 1990/1991 or so). When the price rose a decent amount, I went back to the dealer and cashed in.  Between the premium above spot they charge when they sell it to you and the discount below spot they offer when they buy it from you, I didn't make a cent.  Or it was a very neglible amount, like $10 or $20.

Not having leverage sucks.

Thats the chance you take but when you look at it as a way to just rathole money to make it a little harder to spend it on impulse its a nice vehicle. IF it were to go thru the roof, and Im not counting on it, even better.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:12:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I got silver rounds the other day for $9.50 ea--$95 worth.  Cash, no tax.  Not bad, they were $11.xx everywhere I looked online...

speaking of speculation--anyone care to speculate what may happen on 06/06/06?

mmmwwwhhhaaahhhaaa
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I got silver rounds the other day for $9.50 ea--$95 worth.  Cash, no tax.  Not bad, they were $11.xx everywhere I looked online...

speaking of speculation--anyone care to speculate what may happen on 06/06/06?

mmmwwwhhhaaahhhaaa

take a look here
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:31:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I wouldnt buy at these prices, goes against the "buy low sell high" logic.  Now's the time to sell IMHO.  The Tech stock bubble burst, the housing bubble is bursting or "soft landing", so did crude oil, wasn't that long ago it was $70 bbl.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My town is across the highway from a ranch owned by Ross Perot, Jr. The Perot's were able to buy it at a pretty cheap price from the Hunts, after the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market.

Buying silver bulion always makes me think of a friend I played college football with. We were renting a house together, and one day I came home to see him with an ear to ear smile. He had signed a pro contratc a few days earlier, and was proud as can be about his first investment.

"Take a look at this!" he said, pointing to our coffee table. There on the table, were all these little one ounce bars of pure silver.

"My first investment," he said, just as proud as could be.

"Nice going," I said.

The date? January, 1980.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 5:57:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My town is across the highway from a ranch owned by Ross Perot, Jr. The Perot's were able to buy it at a pretty cheap price from the Hunts, after the Hunt Brothers tried to corner the silver market.

Buying silver bulion always makes me think of a friend I played college football with. We were renting a house together, and one day I came home to see him with an ear to ear smile. He had signed a pro contratc a few days earlier, and was proud as can be about his first investment.

"Take a look at this!" he said, pointing to our coffee table. There on the table, were all these little one ounce bars of pure silver.

"Nice going," I said.

The date? January, 1980.  

gold topped at $850/oz in January 1980, silver hit $52

dam took a big lost!!
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:08:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Nice going," I said.

The date? January, 1980.  

gold topped at $850/oz in January 1980, silver hit $52

dam took a big lost!!

Yup, $52.00 an ounce. Bought it right at the ever-loving market top. He saw much better results on a football field than he did in the silver market.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

"Nice going," I said.

The date? January, 1980.  

Yeah, my dad did the same thing.  We got a package in the mail, and it was very heavy for its size.  I asked what was in it.  Silver dollars.  Like your buddy, my dad got in right at the top when silver was going for $50/oz.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Good luck with this investment.  Time will tell if you guys are correct.  Maybe the Fed will abandon it's course of the past 20 years and we'll get runaway inflation again (just like during late 70's and early 80's).  If that happens we may see $50/oz.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:13:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I missed the boat on this one. I was going to buy into a silver pool account over at Kitco on Thursday but decided to hold it off for a bit. Friday night, I check spot prices and silver's jumped 3.24% in one day! Gold on the other hand moved up 4% last week. I have a feeling the rally's still not over....
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:49:00 AM EDT
[#27]
we have some gold but throughout history there were times when silver was worthless and that scared me.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:25:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
we have some gold but throughout history there were times when silver was worthless and that scared me.

Really?  When exactly was this time in history?  

For the first time, I get to post the BS flag thingy:

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:25:43 AM EDT
[#29]
lowest in the last 20 years

1792-1992

www.kitco.com/charts/historicalsilver.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#30]
i to have heard that silver in the next 2 to 3 years will hit $50 an oz (atleast) and possibly over $200 an oz . some years back i bought 960 oz at $3.50 an oz .

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top