Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2005 9:01:38 AM EDT
My wife's job was recently moved out of the area and her 401K will likely need to be moved.  It's only about 6K and we have another from a previous employer that is more.  

Would it be advisable to consolidate the two and/or move them to simplify matters?  We've been informed we'd have to roll it into a traditional IRA.  

Recommendations, hints, leads... would be most appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#1]
WetDog:

I'm in the same boat, I just changed jobs.  I was going to leave my 401k in my previous employer's program but I was watching Suze Orman Friday night and she said a better idea is to do the rollover IRA and ( I missed the details, bear with me) put the cash into a Schwab/Fidelity/eTrade type mutual fund.  Apparently you can do this without a tax penalty.  Sorry I don't know any more, I was going to look into it this week.

The biggest reason for me to do this is b/c Schwab/Fidelity/eTrade have much better options to choose from than my last emplyer's does.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:52:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Hartman,
Thanks, that's a good place for me to start  looking.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:51:10 AM EDT
[#3]
As long as the 401k is not put in your name and you just initiate the roll over , there should be no tax consequences. Receive any money from it and you lose close to 50 %. Check out www.fundalarm.com updated the first of the month with a wealth of info.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 7:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If you want to transfer  money from a 401(k) to another account without paying tax & penalties you need to do a  Trustee-to-Trustee Rollover.

1) Find a reputable low cost company (like Vanguard).
2) Ask them for the forms for the rollover.
3) Fill out the forms & pay no tax on the transfer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top