Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2022 12:28:18 PM EDT
How secure is money in each. Both are insured.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 12:32:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on the institution.

Unless you are talking about big money, you as an individual doesn't need to worry about it much.

At certain levels of money, you can get more for your buck at a smaller place where you will be one of their big fish.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 2:34:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Both should be FDIC insured @ 250k. My credit union pays 20x more than Wells Fargo for a mma account. Also much better for cd’s.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't it true that in a real bank run, the FDIC would soon run out of cash??
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

In a real bank run, they all are out of cash.  

Stash now or digital later.

Thread can be closed now.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 6:24:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If that’s something that matters to you, don’t leave it up to the bank when you need money for an emergency.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 9:27:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The FDIC has the backing of the US government, for what that is worth. The FDIC has paid out on many failed banks and so far no one with funds in an FDIC insured bank has ever lost a dime on covered (insured) deposits.

Not all banks are FDIC insured.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Paper cash for sure. That much just doesn't exist for all depositors to walk out with fat stacks. Would take months printing 24/7 to turn all those digits into paper.

I once asked for 10K in paper cash for a private purchase and the counter girl and manager gave me a shitty attitude before handing it over saying they keep very little in the vault and to give them a few days warning if I ever wish to take out a "large" sum like that again so they can notify Brinks. IOW keep at least 6 months of living expenses in cash hidden away with your other preps or you are fucked if/when TSHTF.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 6:02:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Paper cash for sure. That much just doesn't exist for all depositors to walk out with fat stacks. Would take months printing 24/7 to turn all those digits into paper.

I once asked for 10K in paper cash for a private purchase and the counter girl and manager gave me a shitty attitude before handing it over saying they keep very little in the vault and to give them a few days warning if I ever wish to take out a "large" sum like that again so they can notify Brinks. IOW keep at least 6 months of living expenses in cash hidden away with your other preps or you are fucked if/when TSHTF.
View Quote

You might want to watch the vintage show It's A Wonderful Life. Banks/S&L's don't keep your cash in the vault. They keep only enough cash for normal activities. The rest goes for lending, investment, change, reserves etc. For a typical bank, $10K does sound like a rather small amount.

Added: Keeping some cash on hand at home I think is a good idea. For the unexpected.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top