Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2022 10:44:55 PM EDT
Should I go to 2/3 bonds/conservative and 1/3 birch gold ira etc.  Or keep it all in vtsax a shares. Have about 140k
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:29:10 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot depends on your age and risk tolerance. Young man should ride it out. Plus never sell low.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
No one has a crystal ball.

I think the sane choice is to keep it in VTSAX.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:20:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:28:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I am 36 yo.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 1:20:34 AM EDT
[#5]
At 36- ride it out. Most markets have recovered within 4-5 years.

If you sell low, you just lose.

If you have the means, keep buying. On the way down, on the way back up, but keep buying.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 6:47:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Rates are only headed up.

Ixnay on the bonds.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#7]
If rates continue to go up, gold will probably go down, and bonds will absolutely go down. An investing news letter I subscribe to recommends waiting until the end of 2022 before buying bonds. I think we could easily see 5% for the 10 year and 30 year. That's what I'm waiting for before buying. I'm going to stay away from bond funds and buy the actual bonds. The only bond I'm considering now is the 10 year TIPS. It's paying .23% + inflation but I expect that fixed rate to keep increasing at new auctions until the Fed is done tightening. I could also be way off and maybe the Fed will start QE5 or whatever number they are up to now.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am 36 yo.
View Quote

LOL I am 52 and riding it out.  By the time you're ready to retire this will have just been a blip.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LOL I am 52 and riding it out.  By the time you're ready to retire this will have just been a blip.
View Quote

Haha, I am 71 years old and have been investing in the stock market for almost 50 years. Yep, I am an official old fart!

I don't pretend too know how this will all shake out, and I don't know what anyone else should do.

I am not selling much or buying very much right now, mostly reinvesting dividends. I have seen this type of market several times over the years and my best outcome from pullbacks has been to mostly sit tight.

Added: (bought Amazon on the split, sold Lowes, on hold now)

Good luck investing to all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top