Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 8:44:50 PM EDT
Watch the 5 min video.  I think I agree with Rickards.  What say you?
link
The Federal Reserve wrapped up its two-day meeting earlier today and traders bid the dollar up heavily, hitting a new 14-month high on the expectation that interest rates would be rising sooner rather than later. Even before today's move, the dollar index has logged its longest winning streak in more than 17 years, rising against a basket of currencies for nine straight weeks. At the same time, a stronger dollar has pushed down the value of commodities such as oil and gold.

But James Rickards, who is the author of The Death of Money doesn’t see the rally lasting much longer. He says the dollar will likely weaken against the Euro and Yen as the U.S. seeks to maintain a weak currency­­­ and keep exports strong. Rickards also says the Fed will do whatever is necessary to prevent deflation “because it destroys tax collections, increases the debt-to-GDP ratio and it takes down the banking system.” Those measures in his opinion include another round of quantitative easing. He’s betting on gold.

On the other side of the debate is Harry Dent, author of The Demographic Cliff. In the video attached here, he argues that the last time we had a financial crisis, which was 2008, the dollar accelerated while precious metals plunged. He thinks the downward trend for the Euro will continue until it comes to parity with the greenback. Dent sees deflation in the cards for the U.S.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#1]
ECB has entered QE, the opposite direction of the Fed.  The dollar has been on a tear and you see PM's reacting as expected. sub 1200 gold and 18 silver is already here.
Link Posted: 10/4/2014 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#2]
That's weird because my dollars keep buying less and less. This trend has been going on my entire life. The ratio of wages to purchasing power has been widening for decades.
All this "strong dollar" talk is in relation to other shitty, fiat currencies in the world.

Link Posted: 10/4/2014 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
It's called inflation. Nothing weird about it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top