Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2014 2:25:38 PM EDT
I am getting about $2k worth of silver and putting about 2k into the stock market.  I am starting to do research and was thinking penny stocks because I kind of want high risk stocks that I can play with a lot but I have read nothing but bad things about them.  Anyone care to share their experience with them?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:27:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am getting about $2k worth of silver and putting about 2k into the stock market.  I am starting to do research and was thinking penny stocks because I kind of want high risk stocks that I can play with a lot but I have read nothing but bad things about them.  Anyone care to share their experience with them?
View Quote

-Watch Movie
-profit.

?
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

-Watch Movie
-profit.

?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Watch Movie
-profit.

?

Actually wolf of wall street put me off of penny stocks a lot
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 2:38:10 PM EDT
[#3]
There are plenty of high risk stocks out there that don't involve pump and dump penny stocks.

Newbie investors are often attracted to penny stocks because they think they are "cheap".  I will tell you right now that Berkshire Hathaway at $168,500 per share is considerably cheaper than most penny stocks.  If you can figure out why that is, then you'll realize how stupid penny stocks are.

If you really want to "gamble" in stocks, then take a look at stock options.  You are much more likely to hit a winning lottery ticket with stock options than you are with penny stocks.  It's still a worse bet than just buying quality stocks with quality earnings but it has more legitimacy than penny stocks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#4]
don't just don't

buy something of quality with your hard earned money.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
don't just don't

View Quote

OK will stay away from penny stocks.  Any good links to learn from? I am still wanting something a little more risky.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I threw some cash into some marijuana industry related penny stocks (one actually).

I'm well aware that it is gambling but I really only see that sector getting bigger as more states legalize for both medical and recreational use.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:05:36 PM EDT
[#7]
You want high risk? Learn options or futures.   Research on Google,  read books on subject,  lose a lot of money,  then maybe you'll know what you want to do... Maybe

A lot of very interesting and very risky things you can do in the market if you learn it.   There's a whole lot more than just buying stocks.   If you want you can make money in the market whether it goes up,  down,  or sideways.   There's a lot to the market and it isn't nice to uninformed.   Unfortunately it usually takes a good amount of losses to understand that. Best of luck with your interest in investing (or speculating).

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:19:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
don't just don't

View Quote

Much safer, or at least as safe as stock market can be.  If you're willing to lose the 2K and want to play, go ahead and try the penny stocks.  Or if you want real risk (unless your name is Hilary Clinton), commodities.  Be prepared for volatility, gains and losses for no apparent reason (mostly losses). Your broker will appreciate the commissions on quick turnaround buy/sells.

Remember the "good part" from Trading Places:  "No matter whether our clients make money, or lose money, Duke and Duke gets our commission."
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:33:13 AM EDT
[#9]
buy a quality mutual fund or something.  In all seriousness buy the 10 pack of lowers from PSA for $500 before buying penny stocks, at least you will have something.

lowers
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Penny stocks is not even worth a penny. Invest in companies that you know.

Investing in penny stock is like a baseball player hoping to Homerun everytime. How many times does that happen?
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I threw some cash into some marijuana industry related penny stocks (one actually).

I'm well aware that it is gambling but I really only see that sector getting bigger as more states legalize for both medical and recreational use.
View Quote

As legalization gets more wide spread, big tobacco is going to come in and crush those companies.  They have the distribution network already in place for cigarettes and are going to utilize it.  If you are up, I'd get out now and put that money in Altria, at least you'll get a nice dividend.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 10:51:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Risk comes in several different varieties.

1;  This stock may become huge!

2;  This stock normally returns 10% annually, leverage that, and see what you get.

Of those 2 varieties of risk, successful investors normally choose the 2nd option.

You do get to hear about all of the ones who chose the first option

If you want some thing risky, (volatile), look at  XIV.  It is down right now, big time, because the last 2 days the market sucked.  It is risky, but you are basically buying volatility from people who want to avoid risk.  Or, at least, that is the way I look at it.  No guarantees, obviously.  

I could lecture about the difference between investing/speculating, and gambling, but I won't.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As legalization gets more wide spread, big tobacco is going to come in and crush those companies.  They have the distribution network already in place for cigarettes and are going to utilize it.  If you are up, I'd get out now and put that money in Altria, at least you'll get a nice dividend.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the people mining the gold I'm backing, it's the people providing the shovels, if you catch my drift.
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

As an Altria investor I am hoping this happens...it will be HUGE

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As an Altria investor I am hoping this happens...it will be HUGE

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

+1

Altria (MO) is and always has been a stunningly good buy.  They also own a giant piece of SABMiller so if you own Altria, you own cigarettes AND booze.  

I also own Diageo and Wynn.  It's funny that vice stocks are some of my best performers.  No need to go rinky dink on the vice plays, the big boys are making plenty of money as it is.  

Link Posted: 1/27/2014 5:23:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not the people mining the gold I'm backing, it's the people providing the shovels, if you catch my drift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think there is more money to be made in the mining, those shovels won't make the big dollars, especially when they start undercutting each other to get the volume.  Altria is going to buy for $1 and sell for $10.  Which side of that do you want to be on?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top