Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 12:43:26 PM EDT
How much exposure is good on investing in funds producing dividends?

Assumptions:
that dividends are reinvested, and looking at indexed funds.  
this is for overall "growth" (capital) and not income, although at retirement the dividends could be used as an income to avoid depleted capital (principle shares).
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 12:56:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on your individual tolerance for risk.  I will say "high" exposure is good, if you can handle it.

If you can't handle that level of risk, cut back some, or devote future investments to low volatility investments.

No one but you can determine you risk tolerance, and even you will have a hard time telling until you have seen the elephant.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Yep, based on your tolerance.  I'm optimistic about the future and it will be a good 20-30 years before i'll hopefully be touching any of my investment money, so I put a lot of stuff in the high risk category looking for big returns.  Sometime it works out, other times do not.  Overall I seem to come out ahead, so I just stick with it.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 3:02:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm big on dividends.
Feels like income because it is.

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered.
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 5:43:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a high risk tolerance and retirement in 30+ years.  

Just curious if that's something specifically you look for, or is one of your screening requirements, whether you choose the fund or not.

I've been reading a lot, and one book is all about dividends from stocks and gives only a passing mention on index funds, while the other books are all about index funds but don't mention too much about dividends.

I'm thinking possibly using dividends as a screen to pick funds and reinvest the dividends providing capital growth. Combining that with capital gains (price value increase) I should be ok in the next 30 years or so.

I presume there would be a big difference in future value between two similar funds but one has dividends and the other doesn't.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top