He needs a good attorney and a good insurance agent
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 12:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
and a healthy bank account
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 12:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/16/2011 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#4]

That looks quite useful, I will pass that on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 7:12:59 AM EDT
[#5]
The NRA will also assist with legal and technical advice if you contact them.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 7:51:53 AM EDT
[#6]

looks like a good resource
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#7]
it is a good resource.

insurance actually isn't bad.

lead abatement is the big problem currently (noise too)

you need a LOT of real estate  for outdoors

or about 1.5 million for indoors air movement

figure 1 to 2 million bucks minimum.

Link Posted: 8/18/2011 1:56:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Bullet trap to recover the lead.

Lead = $
Lead = hazmat removal per EPA.

Therefore, remove the hazmat and sell it.  In fact, he could sell it on the side.

Also consider a lot of liability insurance.

Contact the NRA for more information.
Link Posted: 8/18/2011 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Assuming he can get capital to start it, what kind of ROI can be expected first year, or over first 5 years?  Keep in mind that the closest indoor range facility in this area is just over 1 hour drive, same for closest retail gunshop.
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 7:42:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Make sure all walls in office are bulletproof!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2011 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Lead = $

Therefore, remove the hazmat and sell it.  In fact, he could sell it on the side.

WAIT.

Are we talking about a for-profit or public range?  Or a personal place to shoot on your own property?  I always wanted a piece of property that I could just "go into the woods and shoot."  Is this not possible?

Link Posted: 9/15/2011 9:38:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lead = $

WAIT.

Are we talking about a for-profit or public range?  Or a personal place to shoot on your own property?  I always wanted a piece of property that I could just "go into the woods and shoot."  Is this not possible?

He's talking for-profit.  If you have a personal place of your own.  All of this becomes moot (assuming you're not letting others shoot - as you can get into liability issues if something happens).
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:02:14 AM EDT
[#13]
He should be prepared to have city/county ordinances immediately changed to prevent him from actually opening the range right after "someone" discovers he plans to do so.

I've seen it happen. After the guy invested $25K in land prep.
Link Posted: 10/1/2011 9:42:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
He should be prepared to have city/county ordinances immediately changed to prevent him from actually opening the range right after "someone" discovers he plans to do so.

Big checks to re-election campaigns help avert this.  Must be done before you start.
Link Posted: 10/3/2011 3:55:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Around here you would need a special use permit and approval from the county planning commission prior to writing any checks...OP may wanna tell his friend to cozy up with those folks or become very familiar with all local ordinances.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top