Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 6:58:15 PM EDT
42, married, 2 kids (13&8)

Have the following in my 401K.....I am going to verify company match amount and maximum tomorrow and I will update then.....currently I am putting about 19% of my pay into these.....
Large Cap - Fidelity Growth (59%)
Mid Cap - Mid Cap Equity Blend (4%)
Small Cap - Vang Sm Cap Idx Inst (8%)
International- All/Bern Intl Style (18%)
Bond Investments / Income - BTC US Debt T (11%)
(No other real investments or savings).......

Should I change anything?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:12:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
...currently I am putting about 19% of my pay into these.....

If your employer does not match your contributions all the way to 19%, I would consider reducing your contribution to whatever the maximum they do match and then using the rest to fund a Roth IRA.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
...currently I am putting about 19% of my pay into these.....

If your employer does not match your contributions all the way to 19%, I would consider reducing your contribution to whatever the maximum they do match and then using the rest to fund a Roth IRA.

/ thread

Unless your tax bracket is higher than you expect it to be at retirement, contribute to 401k up to the point matching company contributions stop and put the rest in the Roth IRA.
If you are in a higher bracket, then just go with traditional IRA and take the tax deduction.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

If you are in a higher bracket, then just go with traditional IRA and take the tax deduction.

If you contribute to an employer sponsored 401(k) then you can not take a deduction when contributing to a traditional IRA.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you contribute to an employer sponsored 401(k) then you can not take a deduction when contributing to a traditional IRA.

If you over the phase-out amount, then yes, you're right.
But if you're below that, then you're incorrect, I believe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top