Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2010 6:57:21 AM EDT

I have been pondering starting my own business for some time now. I am an expert in bicycles (yes, bicycles), as I have worked at bicycle shops since I was a freshman in highschool (and still do as a senior in college). Unfortunatley circumstances do not permit me to run a legal home business out of house relating to bicycles

My second hobby is firearms, and I have been considering starting my own online business selling AR parts (handguards, grips, stocks, sights, etc.). I have talked to people on ARFCOM before regarding this, and some have reported having sucess with this. My questions are:

1) After I start an LLC, where should I look for distributors/companies to purchase from? I would prefer to stock quality products like Troy, MagPul, Tango Down, etc.

2) Are there any distributors/companies that DO NOT require minimum purchase amounts?

Thanks!

Mike

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep in mind two things:
1) You cannot produce parts cheaper than someone else can.  So you need something other than price to offer.  It has to be your awesome quality or incredible service or amazing technology.
2) Find a market that is not served by the majority of the manufacturers and vendors  Do a great job in that market and earn a reputation.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Keep in mind two things:

1) You cannot produce parts cheaper than someone else can. So you need something other than price to offer. It has to be your awesome quality or incredible service or amazing technology.

2) Find a market that is not served by the majority of the manufacturers and vendors Do a great job in that market and earn a reputation.

I appreciate your advice but I'm sort of confused by the first thing. I am not going to be producing any of the parts, I will be purchasing them from distributors/manufacturers and reselling them at retail.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 6:47:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep in mind two things:
1) You cannot produce parts cheaper than someone else can. So you need something other than price to offer. It has to be your awesome quality or incredible service or amazing technology.
2) Find a market that is not served by the majority of the manufacturers and vendors Do a great job in that market and earn a reputation.

I appreciate your advice but I'm sort of confused by the first thing. I am not going to be producing any of the parts, I will be purchasing them from distributors/manufacturers and reselling them at retail.

Can you offer them cheaper?  Maybe you can, maybe you can't.  Volume pricing might not be available for you.  Or, perhaps there's a MAP policy in effect.  So, let's assume that you're not substantially cheaper than any of the major players (DSG, Midway, Brownells, Bravo, AIM, etc.).  

Why should I buy from you?  Will you offer me free shipping?  Will you ship all orders within 1 business day?  Will you include free swag?  

If you're offering the same old stuff as 87 other retailers, I have no compelling reason to try a new shop.  

Now, if you offer something else that's relatively rare, maybe I'll buy Pmags from you when I order that relatively rare item.  For example, AIM deals with a lot of imported C&R guns and com-bloc ammo.  So in addition to 100 pounds of ammo, I'll add on some mags, or maybe sights for a new build.

Bravo Company has their uppers, bolts, and other top notch parts.  I'll order one of their BCGs along with some mags or a sling or free float tube.  Denny's/GTS has their Ion Bond product line.  Dillon offers their reloading equipment as well as gear focused on CCW and competition.  

See how these companies have carved out a bit of a niche?  What will your niche be?

I'm not trying to dogpile you here or be a jerk.  What I'm saying is that the world doesn't need another retailer of Pmags.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Keep in mind two things:

Can you offer them cheaper?  Maybe you can, maybe you can't.  Volume pricing might not be available for you.  Or, perhaps there's a MAP policy in effect.  So, let's assume that you're not substantially cheaper than any of the major players (DSG, Midway, Brownells, Bravo, AIM, etc.).  

Why should I buy from you?  Will you offer me free shipping?  Will you ship all orders within 1 business day?  Will you include free swag?  

If you're offering the same old stuff as 87 other retailers, I have no compelling reason to try a new shop.  

Now, if you offer something else that's relatively rare, maybe I'll buy Pmags from you when I order that relatively rare item.  For example, AIM deals with a lot of imported C&R guns and com-bloc ammo.  So in addition to 100 pounds of ammo, I'll add on some mags, or maybe sights for a new build.

Bravo Company has their uppers, bolts, and other top notch parts.  I'll order one of their BCGs along with some mags or a sling or free float tube.  Denny's/GTS has their Ion Bond product line.  Dillon offers their reloading equipment as well as gear focused on CCW and competition.  

See how these companies have carved out a bit of a niche?  What will your niche be?

I'm not trying to dogpile you here or be a jerk.  What I'm saying is that the world doesn't need another retailer of Pmags.

This is pretty much what I waas going to post. MAP pricing and shipping kills it for small dealers. You would have to set yourself apart from the rest. Find a product that is under valued and not carried by others or import something that few have.

As far as wholesalers selling to you, you will be getting the pricing that all the small dealers get. Unless you are moving 100k and up from your distributer, don't expect an special pricing.

Find a niche no one else is touching and jump on it. After the election it was like everyone and their best friend started sellling AR parts.

What is your plan on shipping?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]
You know what I'd like to see offered?  A basic rig for 3-gun and carbine classes consisting of:
The Wilderness Instructor's "CSM" belt
Two Blade-Tech AR-15 Mag Pouches
Two PMags

The user would add pistol mag pouches and holster of their own choosing, or could be added a la carte.

The idea of this is for the casual civilian shooter.  While chest rigs are very useful, IMO, they are not ideal for certain types of SHTF.  A belt-mounted mag pouch offers quick access and can be worn with a variety of different pants.  Train as you fight, fight as you train.  If you won't be using a chest rig in 'real life', don't use it in training.  For 3-gunners who use the sport to bolster their training or who don't want to get wrapped up in Open class gear, the belt pouch is still very practical.

There's my million dollar idea.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top