Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2010 12:27:15 PM EDT
In about a year or so, I'm a freshmen, I'll be looking to get an engineering internship, and I'm just curious what a good suit would be for the interview. Obviously I don't want it to look like I got it from a thrift store, yet I don't want it to be too nice. Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I am 2 years out of college. I would start off going to Jos. A. Banks 50%-70% Sale
I have some suites that cost a few thousand and the appearance unnoticeable to one you can get tailored at Jos A. Bank
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 2:29:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Is this going to be something that sits in your closet after the interview?

If so, you might also consider looking at one of the discount men's clothing places- Kohl's, Stein Mart, Burlington Coat Factory, or the like.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:12:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Is this going to be something that sits in your closet after the interview?

If so, you might also consider looking at one of the discount men's clothing places- Kohl's, Stein Mart, Burlington Coat Factory, or the like.

No idea.

I did get a 25% off everything coupon at men's wearhouse, and a 50% off every suit at men's wearhouse coupon. Would a tailored Calvin Klein suit work well?
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 6:18:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Show up dressed EXACTLY like Colonel Sanders from KFC.  Research the character on Youtube and emulate the accent and mannersims.  Insist that they call you Colonel.

You'll be a shoe in.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 7:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
As a manager who interviews young people looking for jobs, here is what I would recommend:

Get a dark blue suit.  Two white shirts and two different colored ties.  You will also need black dress shoes and dark socks.  Choose a suit of which the coat can be worn separately with grey or khaki pants.  This will give you flexibility to have several “looks”.  

However, you are not expected to be totally GQ.  Everyone understands that you are a poor college student.  Your personality, curiosity, willingness to work and friendly attitude are by far the most important things you wear to the meeting.  

Even though very few organizations require suits for work.  Everyone expects you to conform to the ritual during your interviews.  They also expect you to bring a pen and something to write on.  Do your homework on the employer and have a list of questions to ask about the job.  I know this sounds elementary, but 80% of the grads I see are so busy talking about their weekend at the beach, that they show no interest in the job.

Good luck in your interviews.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 10:24:59 AM EDT
[#6]
one that fits, a suggestion I'm currently violating. the original suits I bought are too tight now and the suit separates I got on sale at Kohls are a touch loose, mainly in the pants that need to have the cuffs taken up a little bit length wise, but it'll get me by until I lose weight

I got my first 2 either at the end of college or just after I graduated

Mens Warehouse was having a sale, buy one get one I think it was.

I think they came with lifetime size adjustments but I'm pretty sure I've put on more weight than a simply adjustment could take care of

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:23:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys.

Would 2 button or 3 button make much of a difference. I know metro-sexual hipsters are convinced 3 button suits are so 90's, but I saw many when I was in the Germanic part of Europe.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:28:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

Would 2 button or 3 button make much of a difference. I know metro-sexual hipsters are convinced 3 button suits are so 90's, but I saw many when I was in the Germanic part of Europe.

I always use 1 button and prefer the 2 button.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 4:34:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
one that fits

That was my first thought. All the other advice here is good, with the obvious exception.

An inexpensive suit which fits will look better than a "better" one which doesn't. The inexpensive one just won't look good for very long.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top