Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2009 3:03:57 AM EDT
so im thinking about the army. I've gone through the ASFAB and I took the reservation as a kiowa warrior mechanic. I'm looking for some real life feed back from guys who are doing it now. i wanna know anything you can tell me about it. Is it a fun job? are you put in dangers way a high percentage of the time. how often are you/have you been deployed? is it worth the 6 year contract? im supposed to take the phys on thursday and im having major doubts about the army in general, and about this job. anything you guys can give me would be awsome!

P.S. Im a pussy....ill admit it. I dont wanna see face to face combat if i dont have to. I'm looking for a career, not to get shot at. and because of this im not sure the armys for me....
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:42:23 AM EDT
[#1]

I'm currently serving in Iraq but couldnt land a heli mantenance MOS because of being colorblind.

My Dad recently retired after 25 years of being a heli/turbine mech. He worked on a vast array of different birds. He started with B52s back in Nam and worked his way through OV1s, UH1s, OH6s, UH60s and OH58s which are basically the same thing as a Kiowa. Look forward to long hot days in the hanger. Yes there are dangers in working with large machines like the Kiowa and its rotating blade which sometimes you will have to work near while they are spinning. But my Dad always liked it and is now sitting on his ass banking that retirement check.

If nothing else then do your 6/8 years and then get a civilian job working on birds...$$$$$$$$$$

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#2]
one of the thing im afraid of is combat. like i said..im a pussy..ill admit it. lol. someone told me a few of these jobs, when your not working on the birds...you switch to infantry. something i DO NOT want to do..is this true?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
one of the thing im afraid of is combat. like i said..im a pussy..ill admit it. lol. someone told me a few of these jobs, when your not working on the birds...you switch to infantry. something i DO NOT want to do..is this true?

First and foremost a Soldier is always just that; a soldier.
You will be recieve basic infantryman training in "Basic Training", hence the name.
After basic, comes advanced training in the MOS that you selected.
There is a chance you'll be sent to Southeast Asia aka "The sandbox" however the US maintains bases all over the world, so it really depends on where you're assigned if you'll ever see anything that looks like combat.
Unless your base be it wherever is attacked, that job is not likely to see any real action, and if it does, you'll be physically and mentally prepared to become a man of action.

Two weeks into the game  you'll be asking yourself WTF did I get myself into?  Just remember it's mostly a mind game and their goal is to get YOU through the course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top