Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2009 8:11:36 AM EDT
So I'm going on leave from the wonderful place in 4 days, and I want to take my personally owned ACOG and Surefire M900 home with me.  I brought them here but I'm not using them, I have reciepts for them.  When I asked my CoC for a memo, better safe than sorry, they told me not to worry and that the reciepts would be enough to clear customs in Kuwait.  Anyone have any experience with this.  I really don't want to get to Kuwait and have some jackass tell me my CoC is wrong.  

Thanks in advance.

I got them through... I didn't have a memo and they didn't ask for the reciepts, they just said rolled their eyes and let me pass, I did have to check my assualt pack though.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#1]
From what I have been hearing, you might want to get that memo or wait for redeployment and stuff those in your gun case.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Def. get a memo. Unless the serial number is one the receipt.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 1:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Kuwait customs won't do anything about that stuff..
Won't even look.    
There's an APO when you get into Ali asalem if you want to mail it.  

-L
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 6:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't know about 'them not looking at that stuff"; last year they emptied every bag right to the bottom and looked everything over. Only a month to go til my next leave; can't wait......
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 7:02:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Flew with my ACOG last week, no problem.
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:03:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No memo or anything??
Link Posted: 3/13/2009 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Kuwait - civilian or military flight out = no issues whatsover, receipt or none at all.

Qatar - civilan = confiscation of whatever the Qatari customs agent wants to confiscate with or without a receipt. miltary = documentation on a letter with serial numbers and original signature (I would suggest blue ink since it is easily determined original compared).

When I flew through Qatar in January, one of my my team members was deported for saying "what the fuck" to Qatari customs on the way out from there when they confiscated his sniper dope bag (bipod, cosign, etc). Since we were double booked, we had to cancel our return flight and have them fly/book  through Kuwait.

We even had our cleaning kits, grip pods, etc. confiscated as well. It blew because some of that stuff was personally purchased and they deported him to Kuwait. If we would have originally landed in Kuwait and then left Kuwait for the US, we would have not experienced the ass pain. Instead we left Kuwait ( 2 days added to our trip) without our stuff at all because it was confiscated in Qatar.

My buddy is the SFM there and states there is nothing that can be done. The Qataris I guess were pissed about the Jews kicking the shit out of Lebanon again. Everyone knows that means westerners are the devil.

V
OUT
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No memo or anything??

Nope

We flew through qatar on our way to kuwait.  Since we weren't there overnight we left our stuff on the ramp so it didn't go through customs.  to the air force fucking idiots, they couldn't understand why we didn't want to go through customs so we had to explain using very small words that we didn't want to go through customs.  Fucking 90 day tour morons.
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 11:10:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies guys!!
Link Posted: 3/24/2009 5:58:52 AM EDT
[#10]
IF you are going on the .mil flight then Navy Customs will go through your bag.  They have you empty everything out and dump the bag.  It is annoying but doable.  I would get a Memo just to be on the safe side.  I have a Switch blade knife that I want to bring back with me but the PO says I cant mail it so I am getting a letter to carry it with me.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 11:56:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know if it is ok or possible to get magazines for rifles or pistols through customs? No ammo in them of corse.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 1:24:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Anyone know if it is ok or possible to get magazines for rifles or pistols through customs? No ammo in them of corse.

Officially, no, its not possible. Even if you own the mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:48:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL  wanna bet its possible.  I am not even mil and its possible!!    

my route out is Gryphon to Kuwait  then I go another carrier. to the states,   The only thing I can tell that the Kuwait customs is really looking for is Weapons and Liquer

And boy I tell you what,  it was a bitch to get those 150 AR mags out of my ass in Chitcago!!!  
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 4:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

LOL  wanna bet its possible.  I am not even mil and its possible!!    

my route out is Gryphon to Kuwait  then I go another carrier. to the states,   The only thing I can tell that the Kuwait customs is really looking for is Weapons and Liquer

And boy I tell you what,  it was a bitch to get those 150 AR mags out of my ass in Chitcago!!!  

.Mil guys get every bag dumped . I don't see how its possible to get any through that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:08:52 AM EDT
[#15]
hmm   well that does make it a bit harder
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:15:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No memo or anything??

Nope

We flew through qatar on our way to kuwait.  Since we weren't there overnight we left our stuff on the ramp so it didn't go through customs.  to the air force fucking idiots, they couldn't understand why we didn't want to go through customs so we had to explain using very small words that we didn't want to go through customs.  Fucking 90 day tour morons.

Dude, 90 day tours are so 2002.  Its 120 days now, jeez.  

Don't feel bad the AF Customs guys rifled through my shit and wanted to try and confiscate all my British gear that was given to me as gifts by the RAF Regt and RAFP.  I had to explain they werent war souveneirs since it came from our allies..  Thats what happens in typical AF fashion when they don't train their troops for shit.  Someone figured Powerpoint is the cure for all training issues.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No memo or anything??

Nope

No its 120 days and we do them all the dam time.  I have been home since nov and I am already going again in 10 days.

Oh and if you got a ride south on one of these your welcome

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
.Mil guys get every bag dumped . I don't see how its possible to get any through that.

I've deployed 3 times. Not once have I had a bag dumped out. Not once has customs searched me upon arrival in US.

Link Posted: 3/30/2009 7:03:42 AM EDT
[#19]
n
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've deployed 3 times. Not once have I had a bag dumped out. Not once has customs searched me upon arrival in US.

I didn't say they were dumped in the states; they dump your bags before you even leave the Middle East. That was my experience going on leave last year, and I assume it will be the same when I go on leave again this week.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 8:42:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Not saying it didn't happen to you....but i will say it's never happened to me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 5:15:45 AM EDT
[#21]
What day did you fly? I heard someone behind me in Atlanta yesterday talking about their equipment
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 11:32:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I flew through Jordan on a civilian flight and about got arrested because of body armor.
Link Posted: 4/7/2009 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What day did you fly? I heard someone behind me in Atlanta yesterday talking about their equipment

I got back to Iraq 2 days ago.... I think I flew 16 March.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
n
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't say they were dumped in the states; they dump your bags before you even leave the Middle East. That was my experience going on leave last year, and I assume it will be the same when I go on leave again this week.

Meh, depends on who you got from the Navy.  Some people were cool as hell and barely went through half of the stuff in the bags while others were Customs Nazis.  I, personally, had a cool Sailor who didn't really give two craps.  I had 4 bunches of 6 magazines taped together and the only thing the person asked was if there was live ammo in them...I said, "Wait, what?  Hell no!"  They just grinned and went on.  I could easily have taken out the springs in them and hidden something underneath the follow if I so wanted.  Or I could have wrapped things up in a parka without them ever knowing because they didnt go through things like that.

Going on leave, our bags were just x-ray'd through the machines and if anything questionable came up, then they'd open them up.  This was mid-2006 at Ali Al-Saleem, of course.
Link Posted: 4/9/2009 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Things must have really changed since 2006.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I'm on leave now; it was the same this time as last year. Bags were dumped, they were x rayed twice, I was wanded twice...this was at Kuwait...Ali Al salem. We went through Qatar this time en route to Kuwait and they again stated that no mags, weapons parts, etc were allowed there either. I don't know how things were in '06.
Link Posted: 4/10/2009 4:17:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm on leave now; it was the same this time as last year. Bags were dumped, they were x rayed twice, I was wanded twice...this was at Kuwait...Ali Al salem. We went through Qatar this time en route to Kuwait and they again stated that no mags, weapons parts, etc were allowed there either. I don't know how things were in '06.

Quoted:
Meh, depends on who you got from the Navy.  Some people were cool as hell and barely went through half of the stuff in the bags while others were Customs Nazis.  I, personally, had a cool Sailor who didn't really give two craps.  I had 4 bunches of 6 magazines taped together and the only thing the person asked was if there was live ammo in them...I said, "Wait, what?  Hell no!"  They just grinned and went on.  I could easily have taken out the springs in them and hidden something underneath the follow if I so wanted.  Or I could have wrapped things up in a parka without them ever knowing because they didnt go through things like that.

Going on leave, our bags were just x-ray'd through the machines and if anything questionable came up, then they'd open them up.  This was mid-2006 at Ali Al-Saleem, of course.

We were xrayed and had to dump as well but like I said, some Customs people were cool as hell and others were Nazis....it just depended on whose table you got.
Link Posted: 4/16/2009 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Six months ago I got my entire load of them through customs. My battalion turned that stuff back in in Kuwait, but did customs in Iraq.
Army customs wa sthorough as hell, dumped and sorted, but mags weren't even something they cared about.

Link Posted: 5/3/2009 8:12:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I just cleared Customs in LSA.  I am going home.  They did the X-Ray dump and sort then the X-ray again.  The looked at the M9 mag that was in my Checked bag and put is back in the pouch.  They didnt care that I had it, I am a DOD Civ.  If you dont check it then they will take it away from you at the 2nd X-Ray. I am sitting in the freedom tents waiting to line up on the gravel, Again...

If you want to use the wireless in the freedon area, buy a card from the food court area before you get here you cant buy it online.

MAHA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top