Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/28/2007 8:38:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2007 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The first time I heard the term Fobbit, I almost pissed my pants from laughter.

If you haven't heard the term, it comes from Hobbits who never leave the shire. It's for soldiers that never leave the FOB (base) down range.
Link Posted: 1/28/2007 1:39:09 PM EDT
[#2]
That song is really funny...

As an Infantryman I thought it was hilarious and described a lot of NCO's in my unit....

My Mechanic friend listening to it liked it, too.
Link Posted: 1/28/2007 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Badass!
Link Posted: 1/28/2007 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/29/2007 6:51:21 AM EDT
[#5]
We've got some Super FOBbits in my battalion.  This one PFC was, right after we got to Iraq, told to turn in his weapon and spent the entire tour as name taker in the internet center...and we get back to find that somehow, he got a CAB.

I think the Infantry and Medical branches got it right, combat awards should be branch specific, so you can tell the ones who didn't do shit from the ones who were actually out working.

GB
Scout, 2/8IN, 4ID

PS: But then, I've seen female officers here at Ft Hood wearing Cavalry Sabers as branch insignia on their uniforms

Requistat En Pace SPC Sage, Lance, PVT Morberg, Joshua  27 Dec 2005
Link Posted: 1/30/2007 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#6]

PS: But then, I've seen female officers here at Ft Hood wearing Cavalry Sabers as branch insignia on their uniforms

I think that means that they're aeroscouts.

really funny song though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2007 3:26:14 AM EDT
[#7]
If its the same song it was made by some D 1-32 guys here in Fob salerno, I cant download or play it here. hinking.gif  
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Damn hop that is funny. Longtime since I heard from ya, you back over in the box?
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I think that means that they're aeroscouts.

really funny song though.

Any officer in the Cav wears the crossed sabers.

That includes EVERY officer in a Cavalry Regiment, not just scout pilots.

Link Posted: 2/3/2007 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Is Myspace scientifically designed to give anyone over 30 a huge headache?
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 1:26:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Wow maybe I've missed something somewhere but on the old BDUs officers wore their BRANCH insignia not the insignia of the type of unit they are in. I am in An ARS, and when we still wore BDUs all our officers wore their branch insignia, not the Sabers. Only Armor branch officers wore the Sabers. (As a Scout I would be offended quite frankly to have someone in not in the Armor Branch or a 19D wear the Sabers.)
Link Posted: 2/3/2007 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow maybe I've missed something somewhere but on the old BDUs officers wore their BRANCH insignia not the insignia of the type of unit they are in. I am in An ARS, and when we still wore BDUs all our officers wore their branch insignia, not the Sabers. Only Armor branch officers wore the Sabers. (As a Scout I would be offended quite frankly to have someone in not in the Armor Branch or a 19D wear the Sabers.)

I don't even know what an ARS is, too many new acronyms these days.  Armored Recon Squadron?

In a traditional Cav unit - either a divisional squadron or separate regiment - you will be in a bad way if you wear branch insignia.  Pretty much only the crusty old warrant officers got away with it.  "Every Soldier a scout."
Link Posted: 2/4/2007 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

I don't even know what an ARS is, too many new acronyms these days.  Armored Recon Squadron?

In a traditional Cav unit - either a divisional squadron or separate regiment - you will be in a bad way if you wear branch insignia.  Pretty much only the crusty old warrant officers got away with it.  "Every Soldier a scout."

Yep an Armored Recon Squadron.
Geuss things change all the time; didn't mean to jump on ya BTW, I was cranky last night....
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 4:59:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Blah, nevermind!  EDIT

chR15, Infantryman!
Link Posted: 2/7/2007 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Pretty funny.  I used to laugh at a lot of the "hard-core fobbits" (pressed uniforms, etc)

I spent awhile living out in the middle of Bagdhad and had to convoy to BIAP just to go to the PX.  Spent some time as a fobbit though too.  Hated it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 3:49:44 AM EDT
[#16]
funny ass shit.
Link Posted: 2/8/2007 4:07:21 AM EDT
[#17]
that is funny
Link Posted: 2/10/2007 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Thats priceless lol
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 7:37:34 PM EDT
[#19]
$

Quit buyin all our shit in the PX!
Link Posted: 2/16/2007 12:52:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Fantastic.
Link Posted: 2/21/2007 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
$

Quit buyin all our shit in the PX!

BITCH

We dont have a very good internet cafe up here so I will have to wait a month to get somewhere I can download this.  Websnese blocks MySpace

Drew
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Back in 04 during my first tour of Astan, we used to have these admin type days at the FOB.  They'd fly in a legal guy, a postal clerk, and a few others.    Somewhere along the line they decided it would be a great idea to send along an NCO to try and get people to reenlist.   While waiting in line for the mail, this chubby E6 chick starts talking to all the soldiers.

When she gets to me she said "master sergeant", don't they have irons here at your FOB?  Your uniform is a mess.... I couldn't believe it.  A true Fobbit right in front of me, and I wanted to punch her right in the fat face.

My response....loud enough for all the soldiers to hear "Do you know where you are?"...this is a "FIRE BASE", all of my men just came off of a 21 day mission, this is their first day off...do you see any washing machines or driers here?.....good luck with your reinlistments., now move out!

I wanted to be really pissed, but honestly she was so pathetic it was just funny.

FOBBIT...but ya know as fat and homely as she was, guaranteed someone was tagging it back in BAF.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:09:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Even the fatties (Desert Queens) need some love too, Master Sergeant.

FOBBITS Rule!!!

Our Fobbits got so bored that we had to start showing ID and paperwork to leave the FOB.  Everyone in the truck had to.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:15:38 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

We had them over here in Korea too, before 3-6 Air-Cav became 4-2 AVN... Then everybody had to take off the sabers & wear the propeller-wings...

They're helicopter pilots...

I assume when I get to 4-6 Air-Cav in WA, it will be the same way...
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:15:41 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Even the fatties (Desert Queens) need some love too, Master Sergeant.

FOBBITS Rule!!!

Our Fobbits got so bored that we had to start showing ID and paperwork to leave the FOB.  Everyone in the truck had to.

Usually, those policies come after a problem with people NOT having ID coming back on the installation.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We had them over here in Korea too, before 3-6 Cav became 4-2 AVN...

They're helicopter pilots...

4/7 Cav still around up in what's left of 2ID?
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 5:42:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Nothing like riding in the back seat of a HMMWV with body armor, double basic load of bullets, camel back, first aid kit, radio, weapon, all jammed up into your chest while you are jammed inbetween ammo crates and MREs and the gate guard (who is probably in your unit) wants you to pull out your ID. WTF?

Only slightly better than shooting warning shots at a US Military convoy to get them to stop so you can check the aformentioned IDs while the remander of the convoy is stopped and spread out for hundreds of meters along the road outside the FOB while the guards check each and every soldiers ID. Violates all kinds of tactics as well as exposes soldiers to threat of IEDs while they wait.

That's why we had running signals the convoys would show as they approached and we changed them daily.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:53:07 AM EDT
[#28]
ISAF......."I SHOOT ARMED FORCES".....for some reason here in Astan they tend to open fire on HUMVEE's, and British Land Rovers full of soldiers.  Not really sure what they do here but open fire on coalition forces.  Oh and putting .50 rounds into the hoods of white up armored land cruisers with big UN letters on the hood an doors.

I guess things at the chow hall get real tense, so when they are on gate duty they have post cheesburger stress disorder "PCSD"

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:21:48 AM EDT
[#29]
That was awesome.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:35:20 PM EDT
[#30]
You fake ass motherfuckers don't ever leave the Fob....

Must be referring to arm chair commandos
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top