Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 5:26:16 PM EDT
just got off the phone to my son in the marines in Camp Legeune, his unit is going to Iraq in March. he said he wanted me to get him a surefire flashlight for the forearm of his m-16. ok so what size should i get and where does one get extra batteries. i was told by a reservist who'd just came back that a GPS and handcuffs are good things to get him. can anyone give me any other advice on things he'll likely need?
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#1]
As far as the weaponlight check out the lights & lasers forum under the ar-15 section.  The batteries are usually available at hunting/camping stores, some BX/PXs, and online as well.  At our clothing store, I think a pack of 12? batteries for the surefire goes for about $22.

Not sure about what other stuff he will need, but there are a few references on the Halls of Heroes and Deployed forums that might have some more info you need.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 10:04:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Surefires work well as weapon lights, I think I've seen every kind of flashlight made used for that over here.  I personally prefer a 3 watt led light, the pentagon L2 is a good one.  As far as batteries the CR123s are ridiculously expensive, I brought 20 of them from www.batterystation.com with me so I could avoid the searching for them.  If you go there through the link on www.candlepowerforums.com they are only $1 each!  A GPS reciever is a great idea, I brought an Etrex legend, it works well and was around 100 bucks.  It will still be fairly cold on March so he will need some decent fleece, socks, balaclavas, etc.  It will be scorching hot by the time he leaves so he will need hot weather gear too.  One top item is underarmour boxer briefs, the finest underwear made for hot and sticky weather.  I know the Marines have all but banned underarmour so you may have to find another alternative though.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The GPS is a good idea.  I'd hold off on the flashlight, no point buying one for work if work will issue one.  I would look into gloves..
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Every Marine I see here on Camp Ramadi has a surefire on their M4/M16 - thus I would assume, like the Army they issue them.

As someone noted the MEF has forbidden the wear of most moisture wicking underwear outside the wire, although I still wear under Armour a great deal of the time.  I have my GPS - that may be useful depending on his mission, but if he is a vehicle the signal gets screwed with.

Also note if you are buying him gloves buy Nomex and only Nomex, the regular polyesters are nice, I have a few, but they melt and will cause serious long term injury if he is wearing them in a fire.

They will issue him eye protection, but I still bought my own - they issued me Oakley M Frames and I prefer the Half Jackets with polarized lenses.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 11:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Forget the handcuffs, Zipcuffs are plentyful. You might want to get him a handcuff key (works on some zipcuffs). GPS is good. Nomex gloves will probably be issued via RFI.

Surefire is the best way to go on weaponlights. This is the one that was issued to most of the guys in our BN. They held up pretty well. Be sure to get a spare bulb. I'm suprised he isn't being issued one. He should be able to get CR123 batteries from supply. The streamlight M6 was given to some, but the plastic broke after being knocked around for a month or so.

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/135/prrfnbr/1178

The best thing to get is a laptop computer with a dvd player and an MP3 player if he doesn't already have one.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Get him a Surefire 6P light with a pigtail switch, a spare P60 lightbulb and a dozen Surefire batteries. You can get those on the EE or on eBay.

Other things you can get him is a portable DVD Player for his time off in between missions; also get him a portable video game (PSP, Game Boy DS or a Game Boy Advanced) plus a couple games.

As for gear, he'll probably get plenty of gear through RFI, but a pair of Oakley M-Frames (flat black with grey lenses) will be good as well.

One thing he can really use over there are basic toiletries, like toothpaste, baby wipes (they are worth gold), sunscreen; edibles like hard candy, beef jerky, powdered juice drinks like Gatorade; plenty of magazines (Stuff, Maxim, FHM, Men's Helth, GUns & Ammo, Soldier Of Fortune, Super Chevy, etc...) and plenty of letters of support and love from friends, relatives, church groups, schools, etc...

My prayers are with your son and with all his fellow Marines. THan you for your son's service and hope for a safe return home.

SEMPER FI!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top