Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2006 2:20:10 PM EDT
Thanks guys

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Make sure the resume fits the job.  Definitely list any recent courses and actions you have been involved in.  You do NOT have to have combat experience to get in with a PMC.  Multiple years of combat arms is of course critical and even that can be absent with some good police experience like SWAT.  Even non-combat experience in the box is helpful.

Send your resume to several and you should hear back from a few or at least one if you have the base experience they are looking for.  Sometimes you need to take a lower tier security gig to build yourself up and make you appealing to the PMC.  The PMC's will tell you exactly what they are looking for on their websites, these are not always written in stone!  Some things are just mandatory, but sometimes execptions can be made in some areas with relative experince and such.

I would suggest you try 3C first just because they consider you an employee (and pay the employer portion of your medicare/social security) and they also offer 90 days on, 30 days off rotations!  This leaves you out of the income tax exculusion though, but only being gone 3 months at a time and having 30 days at home with your family, 3 times a year is worth it in my opinion.  From what I understand, the cost of 3C's train up is waived if you deploy with them.  If you choose not to depoly after train up you get the $17K bill.

Blackwater generally has longer deployments than what 3C is currently offering, but you can get shorter terms with them also.  Nothing is absolute.  BW's train up cost more $20K and you will pay for it wether you deploy or not.  They take it out in payments though and will offer you two years employment overseas.  Due to the longer deployed time in the box, you can probably expect higher pay with BW vs 3C though.  Other PSD guys that I have met on 90/30 rotationn were making about $145K due to the shorter work periods, but they also were not with 3C.  Full time PSD's are pretty much starting about $180K.  With BW though you are considered an "Independant Contractor" and thus you get stuck with teh self employment tax, yippee!

I'm am not The Authority on the subject but I hope my experience helped answer some questions.  If you are serious in your interest, I can provide you some personal contacts in 3C and BW so you are not sending your CV in blind.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:51:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, look at other companies such as DynCorp or Aegis.

Me and a buddy talked to a former Marine who was working for Aegis PSD on a bus one day.  Said they started out at about $145k.  He researched all the major PSD guys and found that Aegis had the best reputation (in Iraq and worldwide) as well as great pay and benefits.

BW in Iraq is completely thought of as Cowboys by the insurgency.  They actually make it a point to target them.
3C doesnt have as big a corps of PSD as the others so they arent really in the news at all.  Aegis convoys (PSD) are hardly ever attacked.  I think the first one or two I've heard of were last week.

ETA:  What job were you wondering about, Bama?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#3]
It all started with New Orleans. I worked two security contracts there. One of which was with BW. I'm currently in the process of getting my LEO credentials renewed I've been out of the business for about 5 years. I won't be able to take that course unitl late June. In the mean time, I've signed up for an AR15 CQC course, LEO Sniper, Surfire Lowlight, Combat Handgun, OC Instructor, and PPCT Instructor.

In the past I've been to JTF Basic SWAT, Executive Protection/Bodyguard, FBI LEO Survival, Tactical Field Operations and various other LEO courses.

I'm thinking about going after one of the LEO trainer jobs. Or some type of PSD work. My resume was more set up for civilian work instead of LEO/Contracting.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It all started with New Orleans. I worked two security contracts there. One of which was with BW. I'm currently in the process of getting my LEO credentials renewed I've been out of the business for about 5 years. I won't be able to take that course unitl late June. In the mean time, I've signed up for an AR15 CQC course, LEO Sniper, Surfire Lowlight, Combat Handgun, OC Instructor, and PPCT Instructor.

In the past I've been to JTF Basic SWAT, Executive Protection/Bodyguard, FBI LEO Survival, Tactical Field Operations and various other LEO courses.

I'm thinking about going after one of the LEO trainer jobs. Or some type of PSD work. My resume was more set up for civilian work instead of LEO/Contracting.

Thats cool.

Are you wanting like a purely state-side job?  Or were you wanting overseas duty?

I cant imagine that the PSD companies would have much use in America.  If you get that LEO sniper course, you could get on for Trip C as Designated Marksmen.  I think thatwould be awesome overseas.
I still remember the BW sniper vids from like a year ago.

If you were wanting PSD on civilian side, there is always DSS/Secret Service.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:14:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I know there are some PSD details going on in Texas.
After I finish up my training I would consider going overseas.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 10:51:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I know there are some PSD details going on in Texas.
After I finish up my training I would consider going overseas.

Doing what in Texas?  Private Security, like what McKinney got in trouble for?

Well....this is an interesting time for contracting work right now.  Most, if not all of the major contract companies have said that they are NOT renewing contracts starting around early-mid '07.  Some military units are moving south here soon as IA is taking over in some places.  
Soooo.........it may not be that beneficial to join one in a few months.

But I would def. check out Aegis before BW and Tripla C.  If you want sniper, check out Tripla C.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
My understanding about the Texas deal is mostly a bodyguard type detail. But it pays well.

My former team leader in NO called me the other day and wanted to know if I wanted to go to Afgan. But I really want to get my LEO status updated before I do anything along those lines.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:57:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Just wondering which of the above posters has experience working PSD in Iraq or else where?  I am guessing none.

BW does not charge you for your training (unless you go to their "academy" that is).  Being an IC vs. an employee: both have their advantages and disadvantages.  It just depends on how you play the game.  BW is offering a 90-14-90 for six months or a 90-30-90 for a year.  Other contract options depend on how long you have been with them ect.

All contractors have earned a bad rep as "cowboys" by the actions of a few.  The insurgents do not stop to ask what company you work for or what nationality you are.  They just target westerners.  PSDs are a juicy target regardless of who they belong to.

The big three players right now are Triple C, BW and Dyn (for US companies).  Check their web sites for info.  Your resume should reflect the qualities they are looking for.  Some qualifications are solid some are flexible.  Contact them for further info.

Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:21:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just wondering which of the above posters has experience working PSD in Iraq or else where?  I am guessing none.

BW does not charge you for your training (unless you go to their "academy" that is).  Being an IC vs. an employee: both have their advantages and disadvantages.  It just depends on how you play the game.  BW is offering a 90-14-90 for six months or a 90-30-90 for a year.  Other contract options depend on how long you have been with them ect.

All contractors have earned a bad rep as "cowboys" by the actions of a few.  The insurgents do not stop to ask what company you work for or what nationality you are.  They just target westerners.  PSDs are a juicy target regardless of who they belong to.

The big three players right now are Triple C, BW and Dyn (for US companies).  Check their web sites for info.  Your resume should reflect the qualities they are looking for.  Some qualifications are solid some are flexible.  Contact them for further info.

*raises hand*
Doing PSD for military right now.
So you would guess wrong.  We have interaction with some BW/Dyn/Aegis guys and talk to them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 5:27:39 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My understanding about the Texas deal is mostly a bodyguard type detail. But it pays well.

My former team leader in NO called me the other day and wanted to know if I wanted to go to Afgan. But I really want to get my LEO status updated before I do anything along those lines.

Hmm....that could be interesting (in Texas).

And yeah, I would want to get the status upgraded too, if not for the resume, but for you too to get more training and one can always get better.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#11]
I have alot of interacton with contractors on PSD runs over here as I do the same thing but don't make the big bucks. Its good money and I guess enjoyable if you don't have a family left at home.  I have friends with BW and DynaCorp. Some of them are telling me to look at SFI and Aegis.

There are other things to think about as far as the environment you wish to work in.
Ask yourself, do you really want to be in a F-250, Excursion, or Suburban or even something smaller when an ied or efp hits? Heck a m1114 isn't even safe some of the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top