Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/4/2006 3:10:40 AM EDT
Like any of them are good. What in your opinion is the best Army base and why.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 12:05:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Having been assigned to Leonard Wood, Huachuca, Hood, and Gordon - and having spent time in Drum, Mead, Irwin, and Polk - I would have to say Huachuca, Hood, or Gordon.  Hood is one of the largest, with 13th COSCOM, 1st Cav, 4th ID, and III Corp Headquarters.  There are several towns etc. nearby, and Austin is only 45 minutes to an hour away.  Dallas is around 2 hours away.  Disadvantages are that Cav is a pretty screwed up unit to be in - they do everything ass backwards.  Pretty much everything is tactical with alot of field time.  This may be good or bad, depending on your viewpoint.  A huge advantage is that it's in TEXAS.  

There are lots of post facilities, with two large PX's, and two good sized Commisaries.  There are numerous shopettes, two movie theatres, two museams, and many other things.

Huachuca is located in the mountains of southern Arizona.  Beautyful area with great weather, though the thin mountain air takes some getting used to.  A bonus is that when you go to another post that actually has enough oxygen to support normal life your PT scores will instantly improve.  Disadvantages are that the whole area is swarmed with illegal aliens.  I remember Sierra Vista - which is right outside the main gate - to be a rather nice area.  It's a much smaller post than many others, and theres alot of TRADOC troopies,so that may be a significant disadvantage.  Tuscon is 45 minutes or so away.

Gordon has alot of commo types there, and there's alot of strat positions.  Also a big TRADOC post.  There's stuff to do off post, as well as on post, but I don't really remember much about it.  I was there for a limited time on a TDY, so it was mostly work.

Drum is also ok, but it's kind of in the middle of nowhere.  Evans Mills, which is pretty close to post,  ust got a Walmart a month or so ago.  My best friend is stationed there - in Asscrackistan actually - and he brought me on post once.  The PX seems pretty nice, as is the clothing sales store.  Upstate NY is a beautiful place - and mostly conservative - although it getts pretty brutal friggin cold this time of year.  A plus is that you are real close to Canada, so you can expect to be at the spearhead when we invade .  A BIG disadgantage though is that it's located in NY state.  

All of the above is, of course, my opinion.  YMMV.

-K
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:00:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I've heard soldiers say that Ft. Lewis is the best because of the varied recreational opportunities close by.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone who has been there will tell you, Ft. Carson is by far the most primo location.  There really is no debate - at least, none worth listening to.

I s'pose if you like the ocean, you might dislike the area - but what Army REAL Army base will put you at the ocean (by real, I mean, housing deployable combat formations, not just schools)?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Ft.Lewis, WA.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#5]
if you like out door cold activities.  Like snow boarding and skiing.  snow machining(snowmobiling) ice fishing and huge game then ft richardson alaska isn't bad.  Its a good post because the town close by anchorage isn't there for the troops like columbus fayettenam ect.  underage soldiers are sol because there is nothing to do for younger guys.  It stays dark and cold for the winter with brief times of warmer temps think 30s maybe 40s during the fall and spring.  But if you are out in the field it seems to like to get cold.  We have been out doing mortar crew drills in -23 with windchill.  But you have equipment for it and you will survive.  Makes you stronger right.

over all my barracks is nice.  some are ghetto to all hell but they are building all new ones.  you share everything with elmedorf afb which has much better chow and we share the px com.  Its a 7 mile drive to the px/bx so you need a car or your just outa luck.  Anchorage is like 6 miles out.  everything costs more and its a relatively small base.  not so bad.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:01:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess there's a lot more debate than I thought.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:11:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Although I'm looking forward to leaving here and moving to Ft. Lewis because its closer to home, Ft. Bragg isn't too bad.  Has 2 PX, 2 Commisaries, Plenty of smaller PX stores, about 7 gyms, multiple pools, 2 bowling alleys etc.  Its a little over an hr from here to Raleigh, NC and Wilmington on the coast is about 110miles away.

Fayetteville, the city next to Ft. Bragg is kind of trashy which is to be assumed but there are plenty of stores, resturants, etc around it.

It's home to alot of units as well.  18th Abn Corp, 82nd Airborne, USASOC, 3rd SFG (A), 7th SFG (A), PSYOPS and CA and a few more.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 1:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Anyone who has been there will tell you, Ft. Carson is by far the most primo location.  There really is no debate - at least, none worth listening to.

I s'pose if you like the ocean, you might dislike the area - but what Army REAL Army base will put you at the ocean (by real, I mean, housing deployable combat formations, not just schools)?

Ft. Bragg & Ft. Stewart - Fort Ord at one time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:42:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Fort Lewis, by far the best.  Getting crowded right now, but I loved it up there, hope to go back again.

Other posts been assigned to or have experience with as an Army brat:
Fort Sill too many times,
Fort Hood
Fort Campbell
Fort Polk
Fort Knox
Fort Benning
Fort Irwin
Fort Stewart

Also depends upon what your MOS is.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Ft Indiantown Gap PA.. I've been to a lot of bases, and that is by far the best.

Aviator
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 8:49:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Ft. Lewis is definately the armys best kept secret.  I used to live just up the I-5 by 10 minutes.  they didn't even know there was an army base there!  Does not have the typical military town outside the front gate.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:09:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Fort Derussy!  Why?  It is in Waikiki
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 1:36:59 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Ft. Lewis is definately the armys best kept secret.  I used to live just up the I-5 by 10 minutes.  they didn't even know there was an army base there!  Does not have the typical military town outside the front gate.

So what is Tillicum then?  I guess it's only a stip instead of a more square section of the city, but add in South Tacoma Way, and it's like any other Army town.  The one that didn't have the typical places outside the gate was Ft. Ord when it was still a large post.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:40:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what is Tillicum then?  I guess it's only a stip instead of a more square section of the city, but add in South Tacoma Way, and it's like any other Army town.  The one that didn't have the typical places outside the gate was Ft. Ord when it was still a large post.

Its obvious you've been there so you should know its a street about a 1/2 mile long with cleaners, fast food, and surplus stores.  Its not a fayettenam or killeen....... I'd hardly call it a military town
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Ft Benning.  Haven't you guys seen the signs there?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:05:41 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Its obvious you've been there so you should know its a street about a 1/2 mile long with cleaners, fast food, and surplus stores.  Its not a fayettenam or killeen....... I'd hardly call it a military town

True, it's not the same as some bases, but it's as I said a lot more than Ft. Ord did, and about the same as Ft. Campbell (Oak Grove) did about a decade ago.  And South Tacoma Way does add a bit to it.
Ft. Bliss also doesn't quite have that typical small military town, but then with El Paso, it can't really.  It is in the middle of a shity area though.  It's actually not a bad place I don't think.  Limited experience though, only there for about a month for some weapons testing.  Probably more crime and bull going on now.
Ft. Sam Houstan is a good place from the little saw of it years ago.  San Antonio is a pretty decent city.  Not a lot of chance to actually get stationed there though.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:15:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Wheeler Army Airfield. Hawaii. and then Ft. Lewis. Stationed at both and I loved being at both.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Budingen, Germany

Was there in B Troop 1-1Cav 1994-1999 as a 19D/Armorer/supply
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Like any of them are good. What in your opinion is the best Army base and why.

Fort Living Room.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Fort Carson, without a doubt, as Adam said.  It's one of the only posts in the Army (especially for Combat Arms guys, and heavy armor guys in particular) that has a real city immediately outside the gate (Colorado Springs).  I don't consider Fayette-Nam, Killeen, Radcliff, Manhattan / Junction City, or any of those other garden spots to be "real" cities.  Yes, a lot of posts have decent towns 45-60 minutes away, but Carson is actually in the Springs, and had Denver only an hour away.

There are quite a few places that are in interesting locations (Myer, Belvoir, Scoffield Barracks, etc), but I think Carson still has the best quality of living without being outrageously expensive.  Seems like everyone I know in the Army is either trying to get to Carson, or trying to stay...

Dave
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#21]
FWIW, Fort Lewis is expanding massively of late. The old WW2 barracks are being pulled down and new apartment style places are springing up on North Fort. DoD is throwing a lot of money there. 1st Group is getting more buildings this year and the next, etc.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 3:27:40 PM EDT
[#22]
The best base is the one you didn't get station at.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Ft. Lewis.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Ft.Carson and Ft.Lewis.. Both have real towns, not expanded, unregulated PX facilties  outside the gate like Fayettville, Columbus, etc. Both are in actual nice areas, not depressed shitholes with trailer trash.

Ft.Bragg was a good place to soldier at, but thats where it ended.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ft Indiantown Gap PA.. I've been to a lot of bases, and that is by far the best.

Aviator

I guess it's alright, if you like white buildings and groundhogs.

My favorite is Ft. Lewis, although the weather sometimes made me want to kill myself.
It dosen't get that much snow though, which is good.

This of course does not count Hoenfels, which is far and away the best base I have ever been on.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:34:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Ft. Living Room.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top