Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2006 11:52:38 PM EDT
im a pv1 in the washington national guard i was just wonder who actually get clearance to wear a pistol? im a 19d cavalry scout. ive heard that just 11b guys who get them
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:37:05 AM EDT
[#1]
As an Air Defence Artillery (14s) from the Florida Army National Guard we are issued pistols and when I was over seas as an MP my unit also had pistols. Other than that im not sure who else.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:40:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Just about anyone really.

I've seen woman, that werent officers, that werent in an MP unit that carry M9's.....

So, thats what that tells you.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:17:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I recently finished a 15 month activation in Iraq. I was a 95B (military police) gunner. I carried a M249 saw, M9 and a mosberg 500a 12 ga. Everyone in my unit with the exception of the medics, cooks and the machanic carried the m9 along wiith their primary weapon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#4]

a pv1 in the washington national guard

What unit are you with in WA?  I'm based on Camp Murray, soon to be on Ft Lewis when I get back and go to my new unit.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
It's not about getting clearance to carry one, it's about who's authorized to carry the ones in the arms room.  It all depends on what the MTOE (Modified Table of Organization and Equipment) for your unit says.  Every pistol in your arms room is assigned to a specific paragraph and line number (basically your job in the unit; this was probably on one of the many forms that you signed to get in).  However, as a PV1, I doubt you'll ever see that document.  The last time that I looked at a Scout Platoon MTOE (I'm assuming that you're in a Scout Platoon as a 19D) there were no pistols authorized for anyone in the platoon.  That could be changing with the reorganization the Army is going through right now.  Also, when you go over to the sandbox, your current MTOE usually gets thrown out the window (FA and Armor units going as Infantry, etc...), so anything is possible.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:29:57 PM EDT
[#6]
62GMC, actually i leave for fort knox on april 11th for OSUT. i was told that i will be in a unit over in puyallop. im really not sure at this time
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:11:41 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are a 19D you will likely have more weapon systems then you will have need of :)  Usually a sidearm was more assigned by position.  They may be a bit more permissive now but most soldiers I have seen today are still carrying a rifle/carbine as their standard issue personal weapon.  Besides, pistols are just a temporary fix until you can get a hold of a long gun :)

What kind of unit are you assigned to anyway out there in WA?  I was a 19D in RA from 1987-1994, mostly aviation and light infantry.  Didn't care much for the Armor and ACR units.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:28:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
62GMC, actually i leave for fort knox on april 11th for OSUT. i was told that i will be in a unit over in puyallop. im really not sure at this time

Puyallop or Kent?  I know that there were CAV in the 303rd in the Kent armory, along with like 5 other units.

Who got the M9 was based on position, and in my case enough bitching by all of us, and our NCOIC.  I worked the main gate, and we often didn't have our rifles in hand.  We kept buggin the CO to give us all pistols.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#9]
it could be kent but really not sure. im only going to be in that unit for a year because im actually rotc as part of a SMP program. so once i contract though rotc i will do my drills here in spokane. recon, i dont really care to much for armor either but i got the most benifits from it. i plan to be a 11a infantry officer
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:48:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Well there are only 4 Infantry companies left in the state.  A and B companies of the 1/161 Infantry, and A and B companies of the 303rd Armor.

Yeah, the armor regiment.  It's the new Heavy Unit of Action setup that we are going to.  Both batallions (and I'm guessing the one that we have in California) is being set up the same way, 2 companies of infantry, 2 of armor, and one combat engineer (this last is a great idea IMO).  I'm waiting for our unit name to officially change to the 161 Combined Arms Batallion or something equally gay.

There are of course 11A's at brigade up in Seattle, and who get stuck as commander for pogue companies.  My last company commander went from being in an infantry company, to the commander of a Combat Engineer company, lost that when that engineer batallion was scattered amongst the brigade to fill in, spent his year in Iraq doing some sort of desk job at Anaconda IIRC, and now is a company commander for some support company.  I've heard that he was told it was going to be something sort of high speed and now has truck drivers and mechanics.  Poor guy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:43:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Rose, what year are you. Also I would plan on going to basic if I could. I read your posts and you make it sound like you didnt go yet. Be sure to go because of the benifits if you havent the schorships blow. I am a MSIV and have been enlisted as a 19D. You can get sidearms if your unit has them on the MTOE like previously stated.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]
well i havnt gone to basic yet. im a MS1 now but i decided to take spring quarter off so i would go to basic and ait back to back instead of the split plan(1st summer go to basic then 2nd summer go to ait). this way i get all the benefits and next year ill just take extra credits to catch up. i would have gone 11b but i wouldent get the montgomery gi bill or kicker and the bonus wasnt as much.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:10:53 PM EDT
[#13]
One of the challenges of being jr is understanding what is going on a higher levels.  As a Company CDR #1 I have 9 M9's on my MTOE, for 99 soldiers; I have 63 M16's; 17 M4's, 10 M249's.  That accounts for my indvidual issue.  Note I do not have a long gun for myself or other key people.  Getting sidearms for each soldier is not easy.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:56:22 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i would have gone 11b but i wouldent get the montgomery gi bill or kicker and the bonus wasnt as much.

No good bonus for 11B's???  I thought they were pretty much handing out bonuses for any combat arms MOS.  And WHY wouldn't you have the option of the Montgomery GI with any MOS you choose?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:00:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
One of the challenges of being jr is understanding what is going on a higher levels.  As a Company CDR #1 I have 9 M9's on my MTOE, for 99 soldiers; I have 63 M16's; 17 M4's, 10 M249's.  That accounts for my indvidual issue.  Note I do not have a long gun for myself or other key people.  Getting sidearms for each soldier is not easy.

Now recite those serial numbers....in numeric order :)  LOL  Not enough weapons is not usually a problem for Cav units!  It is usually the opposite!  We used to have more weapon systems then we could man and the Hummers would be packed tight...a lot of toys considering we had mostly two man crews!  All that ordnance and your main weapon is still a radio :)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:45:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I dont believe there are any 11B in 303RdCAV. 161 is the only unit with Infantry in Washington at this time A and B company. HHC has a Plt of Mortars(11Cs) and a sniper section. Cali(185) will have 2 companies of Infantry, so in the entire Brigade we have only 4 companies of Infantry.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Well its good you are going to basic and AIT alot of cadets do not go the route. I have done 19D and its real intense you sjould also consider going Armor as an officer and go into light cav someday. Infantry is OK but I would wait to see how you do in basic before you make that up. I orginally wanted to do signal until I enlisted  19D and saw how much I liked it. I did 19D orginally for the money and bonus as you are doing. Just wait and see what you like before you dedicate yourself to 11A. In infantry if you arnt like an airborne ranger its real hard to get promoted so you better be super hooah. Just to let you know what to expect.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I dont believe there are any 11B in 303RdCAV. 161 is the only unit with Infantry in Washington at this time A and B company. HHC has a Plt of Mortars(11Cs) and a sniper section. Cali(185) will have 2 companies of Infantry, so in the entire Brigade we have only 4 companies of Infantry.

You're right.  It was the 185 that I heard about.  I think I just assumed that the 303rd would be that way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#19]
recon, iif i went 11b i would have only gotten the GI bill and not the montgomery gi bill which gives me more moey for school. my AOIC was there when i enlisted and he told me to go for the most money. what pisses me off though is that a week later i enlisted the 11b bonuses went up.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:59:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Who the hell told you that bullshit???  The "G.I Bill" IS the "Montgomery G.I. Bill."  Everyone just calls it the GI Bill because it's shorter to say.

There might be an overstrength in Infantry and the recruiter was just trying to put you into a cav unit if they are understrength or something like that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:18:34 PM EDT
[#21]
oops my bad i thought they were different. i think i wouldent have gotten the kicker. either way it really doesnt matter cuz i change mos next year anyways when i contract through rotc
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#22]
You dont change your MOS really. You can change the unit you drill with but you arny MOS Q'ed in anything else. When you commission you branch to whatever you are assigned. If you are ranked high enough on the OML you may get infantry. Bear in mind this isnt guarented as most males request infantry. If you want infantry prepare to do well at LDAC get good grades and have a 280 or higher on PT. If you have that and say a 3.5 or higher I would say you will get IN for sure. Just do real well at ROTC to ensure you get your choice.

There is however an ADSO option that can bump up your chances if you are OMLed active duty. This can help you get your branch choice in exchange for a longer service obligation. I think its 3 years onto your contract upon commissioning.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
You dont change your MOS really. You can change the unit you drill with but you arny MOS Q'ed in anything else. When you commission you branch to whatever you are assigned. If you are ranked high enough on the OML you may get infantry. Bear in mind this isnt guarented as most males request infantry. If you want infantry prepare to do well at LDAC get good grades and have a 280 or higher on PT. If you have that and say a 3.5 or higher I would say you will get IN for sure. Just do real well at ROTC to ensure you get your choice.

There is however an ADSO option that can bump up your chances if you are OMLed active duty. This can help you get your branch choice in exchange for a longer service obligation. I think its 3 years onto your contract upon commissioning.

Cadets are a 09R; you do change your change MOS - the CDR needs to get you into TTHS otherwise you count against the non-DMOSQ.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:23:41 PM EDT
[#24]
That is true, you do go 09R, but that isnt a deployable functional MOS as I thought was being meant. It is an enlistment option and when you join the advance course (or now I think IIs can be contracted as SMPS) and be "reclassed/reassigned" 09R. It basically puts you in the ROTC control group from my explanation to me. It also terminates some enlistment benifits such as a bonus if you were prior service under another contract. You are also overstrengthed in the unit you are assigned I believe if you are SMP and dont really count toward typical "strengthing".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top