Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2006 12:13:23 PM EDT
I am reading a book about the battles for Fallujah. I'm, at work and cannot remember the name of the book, but it is very good...anyway, the author say that the insurgetnts will sometimes lob RPGs like mortars. I thought that RPG's were mainly a line of sight weapon with about 800 yd range. Do they have different types of propellants to be able to lob them?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#1]
They did the same thing in Mogidishu.  Not very accurate but they still go boom.  Every shoot an arrow up in the air as a kid?  
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They did the same thing in Mogidishu.  Not very accurate but they still go boom.  Every shoot an arrow up in the air as a kid?  

RPG self-detonate after 5 or so seconds, so unless the fuse is messed with....you can't really shoot it up like an arrow, and let it go down......as it will detonate before it can even be used as artillery.

You can use APG's......give you a few more seconds, but will still detonate afer a few more seconds.

AFAIK
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
RPG self-detonate after 5 or so seconds

The lads who lobbed them at us evidently didn't get that memo. Neither did their RPGs!

I think the timer-self-destruct fuze was played around with in Mogadishu to make airburst rockets to shoot at helicopters.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen plenty of them just skip down the street and never detonate.

I know the Hajis forget to pull the arming pin alot, but that couldn't have been the case with all of them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The lads who lobbed them at us evidently didn't get that memo. Neither did their RPGs!

I think the timer-self-destruct fuze was played around with in Mogadishu to make airburst rockets to shoot at helicopters.

NTM

I remember in the Blackhawk Down book it said they messed with the fuses so they would blow up at certain heights, like airbursts, so even if they missed helicopters they could still do some damage.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:56:09 AM EDT
[#6]
I have seen a few that have been altered to have somewhat of a PD fuse.  Perhaps this is how IDF is possible.

BJohnson
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Remember that an RPG is a weapons system. Just like there are different bullets for a rifle, there are also different rounds (pg and og immediately spring to mind) for the RPG.

SO, without helping the dirtbags who google for info to help kill our guys, both answers (they do / they don't) are correct.

Using RPG's in indirect-fire mode isn't a standard Warsaw-pact tactic, but remember the people who are using them aren't standard troops, either.

-Shawn
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've seen plenty of them just skip down the street and never detonate.

I know the Hajis forget to pull the arming pin alot, but that couldn't have been the case with all of them.

Thank God for that buddy!  I watched one slam into my pals truck right in front of me, hit the drivers door glanced off taking the mirror with it then went off into a sheep herder’s field, found it the next day… Lucky for Mike and Tom. Good shot from 200+m  on a moving hummer, luckily he wasn’t too bright.  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Still amazes me after all the RPGs fired at our trucks, not one ever connected, thank u God!!
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:09:13 AM EDT
[#10]
A RPG will self-detonate at 980 meters, and with the shaped charge/warhead a plasma stream will continue for another 200 meters or so.

They are a hoot to shot, though it definately takes some practice with aiming.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:28:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
A RPG will self-detonate at 980 meters, and with the shaped charge/warhead a plasma stream will continue for another 200 meters or so.

"Plasma"?!?!?!?!?

You don't find that stuff on Earth boy.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Plasma"?!?!?!?!?

Plasma is just a superheated gas.  It can be found as the product of an explosions, especially one that is from a shaped charge.

Unless you happen to be a physicist of course and I'm just confused.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:04:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Hey "boy", that's what the 18B SF Weapons Sergeants tell me, but hey what do they know right?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:24:13 AM EDT
[#14]

"Plasma"?!?!?!?!?

They do in fact generate a plasma. Just like a plasma torch-cutter. The effect is properly called the Munroe-effect, and we have come to call it a shaped charge.

How else does a pipsqueak like an RPG cut through 300mm+ of RHA?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:58:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I love people who are so sure of what some type of weapon will or will not due.  I remember reading of a documented incident where a UH-1 was taken down with a CROSSBOW in Vietnam.  Another where a Russian (Hind, Hip or a Hop) was taken down by a STICK.  Seems some Muj got frustrated and threw his walking stick at the bird from a ridge at just the right time and it got sucked into the intake.  I know that the b.s. flag will be flown high.  If I get more time I will try to find and post the picture.

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
they would air burst over us in Ramadi. no bid deal to us, used to speep right trough it after the first time.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

i've seen them shot at helicopters.  dunno why, but they didn't explode in midair.  some did explode on impact with the ground though.

keep in mind how old some of them are, who uses them and how they're handled and stored.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#18]
In all the pictures I've seen, the RPGs they have are usually coated in mud, somewhat rusted, and usually have a lot of the paint worn off. I'm surprised some of the crap they have even works....
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:44:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I've always wanted to know the backblast on a RPG anybody know? Min safes?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:03:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
anyway, the author say that the insurgetnts will sometimes lob RPGs like mortars.

as an 11c I feel your use of the term lob and mortars in the same sentence to be offensive.  a little respect would go a long way.  Very few of us joined this as this mos.  we have the rep factor of artilary guys and yet still feet that would make most other infantrymen cry.  

With the back blast thing I couldn't tell you.  I was told that it has a lot more narrow heat sig than say an at4.  Ive been told that dirkas would try to shoot up at chopers and burn themselves.  In somalia they even made a makeshift B.A.D. or blast attenuation device.  

Don't cosider haji out so fast.  They have some techs working on there side that are getting very good at wiring up bombs ect.  RPG launchers are just an old tool.  With no consideration for the law they can easily change the way it works.  they can manipulate rounds launchers what ever they want.  the can dazy chain 15 107s togeather on an egg timer go back home and have it rain down rockets on your fob later that night.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Some warheads self destruct, some don't I believe it is a country of manufacturer difference thing.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Quoted:
....they can manipulate rounds launchers what ever they want.  the can dazy(daisy) chain 15 107s togeather on an egg timer go back home and have it rain down rockets on your fob later that night.  

...we usually found washing machine timers on the launchers, before, during and afterwards.  it's kinda funny to see what they made those launchers out of and expect them to work.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top