Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2006 1:00:26 PM EDT
no orders yet but looks like I'm going to CP Shelby for a quick trainup, then off to Afghanistan. I'm leaving in Feb. I'm a HQ type, Army Guard. Looks like I'll be at CP Phoenix when I get to Afghanistan.
Any suggestions, advice, contacts, etc. are much appreciated.
   Thanks
PS I'll buy my team membership before I leave
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:39:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I was in Afghanistan for TF Phoenix III (Aug 04 - Aug 05) as an ETT.  Are you going over as an ETT, or will you be stuck at Camp Phoenix?  ETT's get to see the countryside with the ANA, while Camp Phoenix types are basically chained to Kabul.  Camp Phoenix has some nice amenities though:  Dairy Queen (I lived off chocalate milkshakes on my way out of the country), sandwich shop, and a pizza shop (the pizza was actually really good!).  My advice to you is to focus on weapons and radios while at Camp Shelby.  That's the stuff that will save your life.  The rest of you you really can't learn until you're over there.  You also may want to ask around in Oregon, since there were a bunch of Oregon guardsmen with me over there.  If you have any specific questions, let me know.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
A soilder walks into a bar and says, "Camp Shelby is a shithole!"
Guy in the back "I resent that!"
Soldier "why, are you from Camp Shelby?"
Guy "No, I'm from a shithole."
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Lessee....Camp Shelby....where to start?

The Walmart over by the big mall is not as ghetto as the other one, and it has a grocery store.
Fish the pond over on the airstrip, the bass are literally jumping out of the water. Rent a boat for $1 and fish The old F101 Voodoo is kinda cool to go look at too.
A good run is from the back gate down to the PX and back around. About 3 miles.
The PX is ALWAYS crowded, lots of heads on post nowadays.
THe shopette is a better bet if you need dip or smokes or laundry detergent or pogie bait.
Lots of people get shot in Jackson, watch the news, youll see what I mean.
The DFAC SUCKS!!! Talk about slop, and from civilian contractors too. Go stand in the short order line; if you can get by the grey oblong hamburgers, its not too bad, and you can get it how you want it.
You can get an EXCELLENT steak at the Conestoga Steakhouse on hwy 49. Avoid the Lonestar Steakhouse at all costs.
Go see the museum, they have a nice collection.
The O-Club has cheap beer ;) Great atmosphere too!
Roper's is a meatmarket. Its also a cultural experience, but watch the smoke, it seemed like evey split tail in there was a smoker....all at once. IHOP is very close too when youre heading back to post.
Its a college town, and has the wimminz to prove it. ;)
If you get a chance, go down to Gulfport and take a look around. Talk about an eye opener.

I was boots on the ground in Nov, so his is recent info. Have a good trip. HTH!!!

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I spent 6 months in that hell hole.... the locals rip you off. Takes Alllll night to get a cab or a pizzia. Bars suck, fights almost everynight at ropers. Training is the worst you will ever get while in the military.

That place is just bad and they are making a TON of f the soldiers. I could go on for days anbout Shelby
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Been at Shelby since Sept & it sucks. At least we're one of the few units that gets to go into town. Responding to this at a coffee shop across from Southern Miss. Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 10:28:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent you an email, midwinter. It's my .mil. email my back if you want info.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#7]
If your going into a CRC, expect 3 weeks of training/issue, then sit around for a flight.  I finally got out of there this morning.  Also, it's a good idea to rent a vehicle so you don't have to rely on a bus that doesn't go where you want to go, and shuts down at 2100.  If you drink, I find Mugshots a better atmosphere than Ropers.  If you want a fight, Ropers is the place to go, and roll deep if you go, more than 1 soldiers been rolled in there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Been at Shelby since Sept & it sucks. At least we're one of the few units that gets to go into town. Responding to this at a coffee shop across from Southern Miss. Good luck!

SMALL SMALL WORLD. I am sitting in the same coffee shop. HA. And I probably was while you made your post.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Hey man, I am an ETT right now in Afghanistan.  Check your email.

EDITED: to say Camp Shelby does indeed suck balls......
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:57:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I was in Shelby last year shortly after Katrina. just started to become a MOB site. Its a dive. just using it because 4 years ago leaving Ft McCoy in Feburary at -10 then gettin to Kuwait where its 130 really wasn't on the minds of the suits
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:56:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys, I am a civilian (retired SFC) and work in 1001 here on post.  Considering everything, the area is not as bad as some make it out to be.  Yes, there are businesses/people who like your money and will do the bare minimum in return for the highest amount they can get.  Hattiesburg is a booming town, yes a college town with plenty of women.  Ropers...a hellhole from hell in my opinion.  If you are looking for trouble, look no further.  MugShots is okay from what I hear.  There are also 2 new steakhouses opening up in the spring out towards Turtle Creek mall (hwy 98W), can't recall the names, but they are national chains.  Training here...depending on "whom" is doing the training determines the quality of it, if you know what I mean by that.  I recommend what some of the others have mentioned here, weapons, weapons, weapons......1st aid, commo as well.  I work out on the floor in 1001, so if you come thru here, ask where "Mr. Green" is at, and stop by and say hello, whether coming or going.  Take care...TG.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'm leaving in Feb.

Did this play out, man?  Post here when you get in-country and I'll hit you with an e-mail if you like.  I know some folks at PHX and Lightning, too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
hey, midwinter. Im going to shelby in March then to afganistan. Our unit is gonna be there as a joint force with Oregon. Ive met a lot of Oregon guys in the last year at Air Assault school And SDM school. Im sure we will run in to each other over there. See ya.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top