Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2005 12:20:34 PM EDT
Hello yall. Thanks for looking. Im a Fuel system tech on the F-16 in the ANG and recently learned that I will be deploying to Iraq this summer. Being this as it may I need some help in gear selection. I wont be carrying a weapon, just a vest and helmet. My question to you all is what do I need.

1. Do the issue glasses(Willy-X) hold up or is it advised to buy Oakleys'(Sun and balistic protection) and a set of googles(for sand storms).

2. Since I will be deploying in the summer is Under Armour needed(worth it).

3. Issue Boots- I have a pair of Thurgoods with steel toe. Are the Danners worth buying, or others?

4. Camel back- is it needed. I will be on a army base supporting our fighter wing, so will water be a problem that I would need to purchase one.

5. Ear protection - I was thinking about getting a set of Sordins. Granted these are probably not needed, but what is your opinion. I am a avid shooter, so it wouldnt be wastefull.

6. Gloves - the issue are black and already falling a part. Any recomendations? This is for aircraft work.

7. Maxpidition rolly polly/ D-rings for hanging shit on the Interceptor. Good idea or not?

8. Flash light- I have a G2 surfire. Up to snuff or would something better be advised.

9. Any thing else you can think of that would help out.

Thank you again for looking and helping out if you so choose to help.

RemMan
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 12:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Our son is over there right now. Granted he's Army,but they issued him 6 duffle bags worth of stuff. That being said, he has had us buying underarmour t-shirts,underwear and socks. He also just had us buy the underarmour coldweather gear. He really likes it and says it works well. There was a certain type of camel bak he wanted which we sent.(I'll have to look it up later) Mostly what we sent was odds and ends that he didn't get issued.
For his entertainment,laptop, MP3 player,digital camera. I'll add to it as I think of things we have sent.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:51:07 AM EDT
[#2]
under armour is a huge thumb up.  the boxer briefs are like something I don't really wanna live with out anymore.  Even just doing stuff in georgia or other semihot places you learn to love it.

for gloves any type of nomex stuff is good.  there are probably hundreds of brands and types you can choose from.  don't forget you want something you can get all mucked up for your job right?  so don't drop 30 bucks on a pair of gloves that are gonna get nasty after a days use.  a popular one is just the flightline gloves.  they have them in 10 packs here at the px.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Mechanics gloves might be a good option too, cheap and durable.

The G2 is a good light, but short run time, and batterys might be a problem unless the bx/px on your post sells them.

I don't like some of the Wiley-X SG-1 which we were issued.  Too much fogging if worn with the elastic band, not enough wind/dust protection if worn with the regular temples.  Better to have a decent pair of sunglasses and goggles.
The Wiley-X Saber is a decent sunglass though.
I like the ESS Profile goggles.  You can get prescription inserts if you wear glasses as well.  The ESS Land and vehicle warrior are large enough to wear over most glasses. Land warrior having less filtering for more airflow to prevent fogging, the vehicle ones more filtering for dust when driving.  There is also an aircrew or flightline version that I've seen someplace.

Camel-Baks are awesome.  Easy to carry water with you and drink easily at all times.  But the Army at least is really going towards bottled water when it can.  Less chance of bacteria growing and making people sick like it can do in canteens or CamelBaks.

Wear whatever boots fit and are comfortable.  So far the best fit for me is the older jungle boot style ones.  The Bellevue termperate weather boots (formerly called the "Infantry Boot Type II" and "Boot, Air Force Flyers) have a nice sole but do not fit my feet well at all.  These are the ones that are similar in design to Danner or Matterhorn.  Basically, to each his own.

I bought a lot of the Dri-Release wicking t-shirts before we left.  Maybe not as good as Underarmour, but less than half the price.

If you can get to an Army clothing sales, get a couple of the new sleep shirts.  They look just like hte polypro, but are much thinner.  Great in the cooler months, especially in the morning or at night when it's cool, but not too cold yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hello yall. Thanks for looking. Im a Fuel system tech on the F-16 in the ANG and recently learned that I will be deploying to Iraq this summer. Being this as it may I need some help in gear selection. I wont be carrying a weapon, just a vest and helmet. My question to you all is what do I need.

1. Do the issue glasses(Willy-X) hold up or is it advised to buy Oakleys'(Sun and balistic protection) and a set of googles(for sand storms).

2. Since I will be deploying in the summer is Under Armour needed(worth it).

3. Issue Boots- I have a pair of Thurgoods with steel toe. Are the Danners worth buying, or others?

4. Camel back- is it needed. I will be on a army base supporting our fighter wing, so will water be a problem that I would need to purchase one.

5. Ear protection - I was thinking about getting a set of Sordins. Granted these are probably not needed, but what is your opinion. I am a avid shooter, so it wouldnt be wastefull.

6. Gloves - the issue are black and already falling a part. Any recomendations? This is for aircraft work.

7. Maxpidition rolly polly/ D-rings for hanging shit on the Interceptor. Good idea or not?

8. Flash light- I have a G2 surfire. Up to snuff or would something better be advised.

Thank you again for looking and helping out if you so choose to help.

RemMan

1.  The Wiley's fog up bad when you are sweating or working hard.  The Oakleys issued are pretty nice.

2.  UnderArmour is awesome even when its not hot out.  But if you can get to a Clothing/Sales store in the States, get the Dri-Duke knockoffs for only $12 instead of $25.  They freaking rule.  I bought or had 8 prs of Dri-Duke and UnderArmour brown tshirts because they ARE supposed to be authorized with the new ACU's but they wont let us wear them here.  So I had to buy 5 freakin tan ones.

3.  The boots issued to us (Belleville and the like) are nice when they fit.  However, I'm still wearing the Jungle-boot like desert boots because the Bellevilles blister my feet.

4.  We've been issued 5 camelbaks so far on this deployment.  All of them except one were sent home and the one I have, we dont use.  Course, in our mission, we have like a billion bottles of use.  On an airfield, you will have bottled water as well.

5.  You will most likely be issued ear protection since you work on planes.

6.  Gloves issued suck donkey balls.  Get Mechanix gloves.

7.  Not really needed.  Dont really hang anything off IBA as it is.

8.  Ya, surefire is nice.  They eat batteries though.

9.  Socks.  Lots and lots of socks.  Ipod or PSP to kill the time, if you have any to kill.  Winter PT's are nice to lounge around in.

Good luck and shoot me an IM when you get in country.  Any idea on where you're going or when in country?
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all I apreciate it.

RemMan
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:11:02 AM EDT
[#6]
are you sure you're not going to have a weapon?  Soldiers without weapons get turned around at the DFAC unless you've got documentation.

Wiley-X glasses suck balls.

-L
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:26:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Surefire batteries are expensive so get your supply tech to order some Kodak digital camera batteries. They don't last as long but are free to you and have a NSN number.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
are you sure you're not going to have a weapon?  Soldiers without weapons get turned around at the DFAC unless you've got documentation.

Wiley-X glasses suck balls.

-L

From what I am told we are assigned a m-16, but it stays in the armory. ie we never see it.  Ill be on a  army base with 20,000 grunts, so I was told I wouldnt need one.  So that is what I was told.  I hope its not true as I dont want to be in country with out some way of protecting myself other than hiding in my shell.    
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:26:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I hope that aint true. There are too many Iraqi civilians working on our bases to go unarmed. Anyone of them could be an Insurgent and just waiting for a chance to kill one of us. If it is true, your future chian of command have lost their f*cking minds and forgot where they are.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#10]
+1
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 8:36:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I hope that aint true. There are too many Iraqi civilians working on our bases to go unarmed. Anyone of them could be an Insurgent and just waiting for a chance to kill one of us. If it is true, your future chian of command have lost their f*cking minds and forgot where they are.

Havent you gotten the memo?

Camp Victory is now a garrison environment.  PT tests, MP's pulling people over for "speeding", saluting.....etc.

Even Sgt. Majors walking around nitpicking people's uniforms.  Theres like 47 SM's here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:52:34 AM EDT
[#12]
No kidding tyman.  I've been stopped twice for traffic infractions.  I got my picture taken once for not wearing my seatbelt.   The radar guns in the MP trucks..awesome.    The ONLY soldiers I know of that can get into chow with no gun are on SF teams.  

20k soldiers.. well i can probably name the place you'll be.  I move around between the various FOBS.   Mainly staying at VB for now, but in January I'll be moving up north.

-L
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:32:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No kidding tyman.  I've been stopped twice for traffic infractions.  I got my picture taken once for not wearing my seatbelt.   The radar guns in the MP trucks..awesome.    The ONLY soldiers I know of that can get into chow with no gun are on SF teams.  

20k soldiers.. well i can probably name the place you'll be.  I move around between the various FOBS.   Mainly staying at VB for now, but in January I'll be moving up north.

-L

Its freaking awesome.

Yeah, and here, usually SF carries weapons anyways.

What unit ya with?  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#14]
The Danner boots are worth every cent you pay for them! I have had two pr. and there is NO Break in involved. They are very well made, and will save you much grief if you are on your feet all day. No I don't work for them, just trying to help. I have a Mag. with an article from some men that's been in Iraq for a full deployment. They talk about the good vs. bs gear. I'll try to find it and tell you the name of the Mag.
                              Scar
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:27:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Havent you gotten the memo?

Camp Victory is now a garrison environment.  PT tests, MP's pulling people over for "speeding", saluting.....etc.

Even Sgt. Majors walking around nitpicking people's uniforms.  Theres like 47 SM's here.

Man , that ain't no shit.
But Victory rocks after you have been stuck out at someother shithole.
Can you believe a Burger King , Coffee shop , Cim-a-bun , Subway , and Pizza Hut all in one location. Its like dieing and going to heaven.  And like 6 diff DFACS to chose from!!!  DAMM.

Gett good eye wear u like , a camelback , and gloves and wait till u get there for everything else.
Under Armor is Aces!!  I fell in love with the boxer shorts and loose fit T-shirts. Hated the tight fit T-shirts.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:32:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Forgot,
On boots , the best desert boot I have EVER had is the Converse.
Has a side zipper for fast on/off and wear like a tennis shoe , but are a full kickass boot.
Others raved about the Oakleys , but the Rockys suck.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 11:50:03 PM EDT
[#17]
1.  The Willy's dont work well for me, they do for some.  I wear ESS ICE glasses that were issued to us also, along with ESS goggles for when it is really bad.  Only worn the goggles like twice, but always have them on my helmet when I need them.

2.  I didnt spend the money on the underarmor, just bought more of the regular poly t-shirts for about half the price of the underarmor.  Some really like them, I didnt see the benefit of the one I bought

3.  If you are required to wear steel toes for your job that limits you on your selection of boots.  I wear the issue temperate Bellevilles and also an older pair of the dessert jungle boots.  Never could get a pair of Danners that would fit me right, but dont have a problem with the Bellevilles fitting me.  Make sure whatever ones you get wear them in the house for awhile to make sure they fit good.

4.  Camel back if you are going to be out on the flightline alot where you cant take the waterbottle with you then it might be a good idea.  You can buy on over here if you arent issued one.  You can get the ones that are part of a backpack, but you wont be able to wear those in to any of the facilities, no bags of anykind.  So if you just have to have one get the basic bladder carrier, also its cheap.

5.  The sordins are nice, looked at getting them for myself.  But since you will be working around the jets, I think it is a better idea to get ones that have a higher rating on the noise reduction since you will be around more constant noise.  See what they are going to issue you, seen the guys out on the flightline wearing the ones that include the commo system so they can talk to others on the ground crew.

6.  You can get the flight gloves work well but dont last all that long but are easy to get here and pretty cheap.  Also seen guys wearing the Mechanix gloves.  Either way get a couple of pairs of whatever you will be using because they are going to wear out at some time during your tour.

7.  Are you going to be wearing the vest alot, probably not given your job.  Many places only wear the vest when they leave the FOBs and that is the only time Ive seen the AF guys wear them.  But always a good idea to have a couple of good D-rings handy.  The only thing I hand off my vest other than ammo pouches and bandage pouch is my sunglasses when Im not wearing them.

8.  G2 is great buy a 12 pack of batteries there and bring them with you.  Should be able to buy at the PX but they dont always have them in stock.  Also get one of the small LED flashlights that they sell in the PX.  I always keep one hooked on my beltloop for when Im walking out to the latrine in the dark.  They last a long time and give you just enough light to make sure you dont trip over anything.  Then use the G2 for when you need alot of white light.

9.  IPOD, playstation or PSP, portable DVD player.  Most places in Iraq you cant wear civies anywere, so get some extra PTs to hang out in.  Good shower shoes, most places you will have to walk to the showers and the latrines, usually across alot of dirt and gravel.  Alot of it depends on where you are and what kinda of living quarters you get.  Some places have cable and internet in their rooms others have squat.  So you have to wait and see.  Also, some places are mostly 110 volts and some places are 220 volts and some place are a mix.  I've got both in my room so dont worry about a transformer until you get over here, they sell them in the PX.  Dont mess with bringing a TV over, you can buy one off of a guy leave or get one at the PX and sell when you leave.  Since you are going to be at one of the larger bases you wont have any trouble getting what you need at the PX.  Bring your checkbook, not many ATMs, but you can get check cashed at finance, or you can get a payday advance.   Of course the PX takes Debit Cards and Credit Cards but you can only get 10 to 20 cash back.

Email me for any other questions you might have.  I can also link you up with some of the AF guys I work with here.

FA Gunner

Link Posted: 12/25/2005 12:08:35 AM EDT
[#18]
No answers to your questions.  Just a good luck, stay safe, and thanks.

TXL
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:23:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like you are probably going to Balad. I just got back from there for the third time. What rank are you? If your an Airman you will be in dorm rooms with 5-6 other guys, but you don't have to walk to the showers cause they have them in there. NCO's live in trailers 2 to a room, and they have to walk to showers/bathroom, must be dressed in DCU's or PT gear and no flip flops. I never used my camel back out there, there are refridgerators all over the flight line, cold water bottles. I bought a cheap d ring for my vest to hang my helmet off of when we were in uniform posture 2. Bring your AF pt gear, only thing you can wear is that or your dcu's. I have a G2 also, rarely used it, I used my issued nuvo light more, (doesn't reflect back and blind you when working on acft). G2 I used for UXO sweeps. It get's hot as hell there in the summer so if you think you'll be cooler in under armor get it, just don't get the tight fitting ones, it's against reg's. Willey X's fog up if you wear them too tight. Sand storms are rare up there. Whatever boots you get put some new insoles in them, I made the mistake of not doing so my first time out, talk about blisters. Definately take mp3 player,psp,laptop.... Only time you will carry your weapon is when a BSD comes out or some high up is visiting....Show of Force as they like to call it.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I would recommend Sawfly glasses.  You could pick up a pair for about $85.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#21]
From the birds your ANG unit has, you are going to Balad. I was there with my ANG unit for the summer of 2004. Don't bother taking a camel back. You'll be working in a HAS (hardened aircraft shelter) with cases and cases of bottled water. You're not going to want to wear one. I'd say they're good if you're a grunt going past the wire. You'll never leave the base. And you'll be glad you don't have to.  Don't bother with the Oakley's. You'll never even wear the Wiley Xs. During a bad sand storm you'll take cover in your HAS. If you're out on the flight line you can use the Wiley x's.  As for under armour, I was fine with the reg brown tees. WHen I was there we only threw the Kevlar and body armor on during attacks and UXO sweeps. They may have changed it.  Stick to your issued steel toes unless you find other desert steet toes that are comfy.  Ear protection, take what they issued. You may lose them or damage them. I only wore mine when I drove a jammer or forklift.  Mechanics glove will work.  The Sure Fire is fine. The BX sold the batteries real cheap for them. Don't over do it with buying all kinds of stuff. You can get everything you need at the BX. Don't worry about baby wipes. You'll never use them. You get to shower every day after work.  My advice is to take a lot of t-shirts, boxers, and socks. At first I was disappointed because our M-16s were going to be locked away. Trust me, you dont want one. WHy do you want more crap to carry around? The haji's on base are checked before they come on to work and every Army soldier and Marine is carrying.  Some of the ones that never had to leave the base told us we were lucky we didn't have to carry a damn rifle.  They are always more than happy to let you pose for pics with theirs if you want to.  If you need that pic of you in the desert with a rifle to send back home then ask 'em.  So you won't need a rifle. You'll be worrying about incoming mortars and rockets. An M-16 isn't going to do crap for you when a mortar hits you and you can't even tell where they're coming from. E mail me if you have any other ?'s at [email protected]. hug.gif
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 8:33:32 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Don't worry about baby wipes. You'll never use them. You get to shower every day after work.

They are good for when your ass is raw from using John Wayne Toilet Paper.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:06:31 AM EDT
[#23]
1. Do the issue glasses(Willy-X) hold up or is it advised to buy Oakleys'(Sun and balistic protection) and a set of googles(for sand storms). Yes the Wileys work but they tend to fog up alot. I have a picture at home of a guy with schrapnel wounds to his face while wearing the Wileys. I'll post it later.

2. Since I will be deploying in the summer is Under Armour needed(worth it). It is good gear. Got up to 138 degrees when I was there.

3. Issue Boots- I have a pair of Thurgoods with steel toe. Are the Danners worth buying, or others? The Belleville issue boots are very comfortable and they tend to roll your ankles less because the tread is flat with no heal.

4. Camel back- is it needed. I will be on a army base supporting our fighter wing, so will water be a problem that I would need to purchase one. You should be issued one as this is an RIF item, and yeah they are great cause you can drink while doing other things and no canteens banging off your hip.

5. Ear protection - I was thinking about getting a set of Sordins. Granted these are probably not needed, but what is your opinion. I am a avid shooter, so it wouldnt be wastefull. The combat ear plugs work great. Yellow side out is for constant noise and green side out is for gunfire type noises and close up with gunfire otherwise you can hear normal. Ranger Joe's has them and they are an issue item.

6. Gloves - the issue are black and already falling a part. Any recomendations? This is for aircraft work. I used tan flight gloves but I would try a pair of Mechanic brand gloves for aircraft work. Gloves do not last long in the desert. Take extra pairs.

7. Maxpidition rolly polly/ D-rings for hanging shit on the Interceptor. Good idea or not? Try it. You can always take it off later.

8. Flash light- I have a G2 surfire. Up to snuff or would something better be advised. I used one on my trip to the sand box and it is still working. Surfire batteries are expensive but order these Kodak batteries NSN 6135-01-351-1131. They don't last as long but are free through the system.

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:54:38 PM EDT
[#24]
One thing I HIGHLY recommend for all deployed military is to get on soldiersangels.com or oen of the various other places and get yourself a sponsor.  I have a great Angel who has sent me a new Surefire, new Altma ripple boots, and a new Blackhawk holster.  All were sent to me halfway through my deployment when my gear was starting to wear out.  Don't buy anything with your own money if you don't have to - there are a ton of people waiting to donate gear and letters and support to deployed military.  

We were given a bunch of Underarmour - not every unit will be.  I personally don't like them, but most love the tight fitting summer underarmor.  (I am Army, not sure what the regs are for your t shirts)

You def. won't need the camelbak - you will be issued one (or two like me) and you will stow it away.  Bottled water is frickin everywhere.  

Wiley's suck, just my opinion.  I wear ESS Ice as well.  Goggles almost never.

I have had one day of range time since my company is run by retards, so getting hearing protection seems like a waste.  

Stay safe out there, keep us updated on your deployment - mine is nearly over.  I'll be home by early March, late Feb if I am lucky.  

-Sgt P
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:36:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Surefire batteries are expensive so get your supply tech to order some Kodak digital camera batteries. They don't last as long but are free to you and have a NSN number.

I just happen to be opening a bunch of Kodak batteries for use in our ANCD.
NSN# 6135-01-351-1131
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 3:37:41 AM EDT
[#26]
I have to agree on the wiley-xs fogging up.. I have to have my watch cap on to keep them away from my face a bit... the green lenses are nice though.. I hear the oakley goggles with the fan on top are awesome.

mechanix gloves are good.

A BIG BRING IT on the camel back, get the HAWG, carries 3 litres of water and some other stuff too.. its awesome... and it beats the damned water bottles.

I have never had a use for D-rings, but the Surefire is a great use.

by a cheap MP3 player, and a cheap kodak easyshare digital camera too.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 9:03:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Hey are the oakley desert boots authorized for wear in the Army?  Just curious cause i wasn't sure but i saw where someone was talking about them being kickass boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top