Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2005 5:47:45 PM EDT
Curious if I'll pack my cold weather gear.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#1]
You will be a snivel donkey sitting on an OP/LP at night. Yes, you will need CW gear.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Cold enough for a heavy jacket and thermals, during the days in winter it is comfortable, but at nights it feels cold and on occasion will dip below freezing.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:57:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Right now it is im the mid 50s but its going to get colder so yes bring CW gear
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Will polypro's and goretex work well, or should I toss in the ECW stuff?

Thanks for your help guys.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Better to pack it and not need it...I used the black smoking jacket alot and the silk long under wear. Never wore polypro though.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:14:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Son is asking us to send underarmour coldweather gear.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:26:55 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're gonna be spending much time exposed to the elements, bring the ECWCS. Haven't spent much time in the south, but central Iraq can get pretty chilly at night (sub-freezing), and up north it gets downright cold (ie snow)!
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 2:42:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If you're gonna be spending much time exposed to the elements, bring the ECWCS. Haven't spent much time in the south, but central Iraq can get pretty chilly at night (sub-freezing), and up north it gets downright cold (ie snow)!

+1

It snows up near around Mosul and the Syrian/Turkey borders.

The middle of the desert will get frost on some mornings.  Baghdad isnt usually too bad because its in somewhat of a river valley and that keeps it mostly secured.

Right now in the mornings, we're wearing polypro or sometimes nothing because you are active and warm up fast....esp. in the sun.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#9]
you will definitely want your snivel gear, I spent 2 winters in Iraq and the first sucked hard, primarily because I didn't think it would get that cold, so I didn't pack anything that  warm.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 12:49:07 PM EDT
[#10]
We just got issued our 300 weight fleeces.  Going there in a month.  It will be cold and very uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:42:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Yes indeed gets cold even in Baghdad, snowed alittle one night, thats when I knew Hell had frozen over.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:32:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Everyone I've ever met who has been to the Middle East has been cold as hell at night to early morning. It gets cold.  Even if it's just now, and the lows at night are in the mid 40's, the days are in the 70's.  That's enough of a drop that it will feel like being in the mid west, or New England here.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Our son compared it to fall here in New England.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#14]
My first trip, but some guys have been saying it's been unusually warm this fall.  It was 76 today, low 50's last night.  (W of Baghdad)  There have only been a few mornings where I've seen frost on the ground outside the showers.  It's generally coldest in the wee early hours.  

I'd bring the fleece stuff.  The UA Cold Gear is popular too.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#15]
getting cold now.  i wish i had brought more than my goretex jacket.  nothing colder than a warm ass on a plastic crapper at 0500 in the morning.

durka durka.

Link Posted: 11/28/2005 1:35:10 PM EDT
[#16]
What kind of temps, worst case realistic scenario, are we talking?  40 Degs?  
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#17]
On average in "winter", for central Iraq:

Low of 44F, absolute minimum is 24F.  

4 days a month with rain, .85 inches total.  

12 knot winds, gusts to 39kt max.  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:36:46 PM EDT
[#18]
So, it's like an autumn in Wisconsin then.

Thanks again for your help folks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 2:47:51 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So, it's like an autumn in Wisconsin then.

Thanks again for your help folks.

Yeah, but remember that you'll have been dealing with temps in the 120's, so your sense of temperature will be al screwed up.  Also, there is such a difference between the daytime highs and the night lows that it's like going from one extreme to another.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 7:41:36 AM EDT
[#20]
So there I was.... Driving down the runway on FOB Summerall in Feb 04 in a Polaris Ranger with no top or windshield. It was so cold, when I got to the end of the runway, my gloves froze to the steering wheel and the tears that were coming out of my eyes during the ride, froze to my face.

This was way before they issued the high speed silk long johns that are part of the RFI.

It was motherf*cking cold.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 10:12:53 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
So there I was.... Driving down the runway on FOB Summerall in Feb 04 in a Polaris Ranger with no top or windshield. It was so cold, when I got to the end of the runway, my gloves froze to the steering wheel and the tears that were coming out of my eyes during the ride, froze to my face.

This was way before they issued the high speed silk long johns that are part of the RFI.

It was motherf*cking cold.

Damn.

Who were you with?  FOB Sommerall and McHenry are getting fucking absolutely slammed the past couple of weeks.  McHenry, one of the guys said, holds the record for IED's in one month in Iraq.  96.
One patrol alone hit 5 in one day.
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 11:50:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I was with TF 1-33 FA. I was the Force Protection officer for the base last year. The wall of Hescos, the metal guard towers, the perimeter chain link and the massive main gate are all my doing.

101st lost 5 guys recently due to IEDs. Hell, I found a tunnel the bastards were digging under our perimeter wall right before I left country. 4'x4'x30 foot long.
Link Posted: 12/8/2005 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Just to add my experience - it's been low 70s during the day here, and drops to 45 to 50 at night.  For a couple weeks it was low 40s every night.  I'm expecting it to get even colder - we're in one of those areas where it apparently snows, and it definitely rains A LOT in the winter months - December through March and into April / May, so you'll want some kind of wet weather gear.

One other thing to keep in mind is the temperature swing even during the warmer months.  If it's 110 during the day, don't think that because it drops down to 75 at night, you'll have a nice comfortable sleep - you'll be freezing because your body has become accustomed to the warm weather, so you'll need at least a poncho liner or lightweight sleeping bag, especially if you're outdoors.

FWIW,

Dave
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 7:25:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Bring everything. You will be given fleece things that you will think have no business in the desert. I mean it, bring the stuff. Bring face-masks, particularly if you're going to be exposed. (i.e. HMMWV gunner, TC, Loader on tanks).

We were so stupidly cold in Balad, we'd drive for 25 minutes, get to where we were going, and immediately run turns hopping out of the tank to go warm ourselves in the jet exhaust. That's just 25 miles North of Baghdad. When we went to Mosul in January, it snowed on us.

We're not talking 'just about freezing' either, it was down in the low 20s.

NTM
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:02:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Just to add my experience - it's been low 70s during the day here, and drops to 45 to 50 at night.  For a couple weeks it was low 40s every night.  I'm expecting it to get even colder - we're in one of those areas where it apparently snows, and it definitely rains A LOT in the winter months - December through March and into April / May, so you'll want some kind of wet weather gear.

One other thing to keep in mind is the temperature swing even during the warmer months.  If it's 110 during the day, don't think that because it drops down to 75 at night, you'll have a nice comfortable sleep - you'll be freezing because your body has become accustomed to the warm weather, so you'll need at least a poncho liner or lightweight sleeping bag, especially if you're outdoors.

FWIW,

Dave

Hey Dave......I was with (not part of) the 3rd ACR in Al Asad in 2003.

It gets cold as hell in Western Iraq, polypropelene and gortex is a must, along with watch caps, scarf and gloves.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:18:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Is it hot in Chad?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#27]
depends on where you are, its been down to the 30's at night here (norther Iraq).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top