Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 10:53:02 AM EDT
I am currently assigned to the 101st , 2BCT as a designated marksman.  As such, i am carrying two weapons, my M4, with ACOG and Harris bipods, as well as a brand new, still in cosmoline (or whatever they pack them in these days) M14.  My Springfield is completely virgin, i think i've fired a max of 58 rds total.  The rifle has open sights only, and my efforts to get our arms room to order mounts and scopes have thus far ended in ambiguity.  I know that one way or another, i'm going to be carrying this rifle, but i am torn as to whether or not i agree with the logic behind it.  Granted, the issue would be slightly clarified if only my arms room would make up their minds.  I have no problem carrying the extra weight if i know i can canoe foreheads from 900+ meters with it.  However, my M4 performs reliably out to 600+ meters, and i don't know that i would necessarily need the 14 to supplement my current precision firepower delivery abilities.  Sound off guys...

P.S.  Carbine Man is my dad.  Give him some love
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:00:23 AM EDT
[#1]
A rack stock M14 even WITH a scope isnt going to "canoe heads" at 900m.

I too would question why they were making me as a DM lug it without optics.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:38:03 AM EDT
[#2]
You have received one of the 852 M14s the CG of the 101st asked for direct to the Vice Chief of the Army within the last month.  The G3 authorized it and shipped them, with the warning from the logisticians that all you get is an iron-sighted M14 with one magazine.  If you want manuals, parts, cleaning kits, bases, mounts, rings, scopes, slings, or tools your S4 better get cracking (oh, by the way he should use maintenance channels and NOT supply channels to get the stuff if he's going to use the GI system.  I don't believe there are any parts in-system, so he'll be better off with a copy of the Shotgun News and an IMPAC GI credit card).

For your M4 I'd recommend you find some M995 5.56mm Armor Piercing in SAW 4-1 belts.  It travels faster than A2 Ball and groups half as tight, and will go through steel silhouettes at 100 meters (if you need to put them through a Hajji car rigged as a VBIED).
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:00:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You have received one of the 852 M14s the CG of the 101st asked for direct to the Vice Chief of the Army within the last month.  The G3 authorized it and shipped them, with the warning from the logisticians that all you get is an iron-sighted M14 with one magazine.  If you want manuals, parts, cleaning kits, bases, mounts, rings, scopes, slings, or tools your S4 better get cracking (oh, by the way he should use maintenance channels and NOT supply channels to get the stuff if he's going to use the GI system.  I don't believe there are any parts in-system, so he'll be better off with a copy of the Shotgun News and an IMPAC GI credit card).

If you ever needed evidence that Generals should spend time doing, well whatever it is Generals do and stay out of the way, this is it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:23:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Tagged.

Gimmee time to think this one out.

Seriously.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#5]
One advantage of the M14 is the penetration of the round. I have seen reports of 7.62 rounds penetrate walls that would laugh at a 5.56, in the Sandbox with alot of cement and block houses this may be good
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
We have M1As assigned to our DMs (everyone calls them M14s here, but they are single shot, not full auto). We have mounts and scopes for ours, and I believe they are going to be stay behind equipment. My DMs carried their M4s as primary weapons and kept the M1As in the M1114, and used them when needed. I think you will find that you will be in a M1114 alot more than you anticipate.

Cant wait for the RIP and TOA.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:11:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Dm, I work up at Div, I would sit down with you and go over the weapon to see what we would need to do, but I'm flying out this week.  Here's starters: Everything you will need is at Fulton Armory.

Need GI Fiberglass stock at least, or if your unit will pay the new fancy adjustable stocks.
Smith Scope mount, Leupold scope or scope of choice
If they won't go for replacing the barrel then, at least get a unitized gas cylinder and shims to get the gas system locked down tight.  Even if they will pay for the medium or heavy barrel you still need this.
Get the National Match mod on the Flash Supressor, or buy one already done.
Trigger job, or if it is a good used Trigger group might not need it.
Magazines
combo tool with the cleaning kit
National Match iron sights are nice, especially the front sight with the smaller blade, but if you are using good glass not necessary.
Good leather sling and learn how to use it.

Go to Fulton Armory's webpage lots of good info.  Clint and them can answer just about any question you will have on the M14.

Parts are in the system, just have to find the part numbers, or your unit can used the Govt Purchase card to get what you need

Shoot me a email if you need something more. If you run into problems with people being stupid on how to employ these correctly or how to outfit themlet me know, I can put a bug in some senior guys ears and maybe help.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Take this over to the cometitive forum.

There are a LOT of guys there that can set you straight.

The M1A was the workhorse of the rifle teams and service rifle shooters for YEARS. The m-16 types have only been used by the guys for the past 8-10 years.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:35:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
P.S.  Carbine Man is my dad.  Give him some love

I will never be more proud than I am of you, son. When in doubt...

And REMEMBER TO WRITE!
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#10]
From EE for M14 mags, don't know if these are the best mags, but maybe someone else can comment:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=92&t=300450

Not my add.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Those are Borg Warner mags.  They're USGI and extremely good magazines.  I have several in my collection.

Armalite is selling off all of the M14 magazines they had for conversion to AR10.  The ones they're selling are original USGI magazines as well.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#12]
You can get the M14 mags through your supply system, just expect a wait.  If you can get up to Anaconda Small Arms Repair Shop, they might have some.  If you are some of the 101st guys that just showed up @ Falcon, you are in luck!  Let me know where you are and I'll get a couple to you before we "pop smoke" from this place.  You'll never get the mounts unless S4 orders them through their system for getting non-NSN things.  Been trying for 9 months to get mounts for our M14s.  Best to just order them through SGN.  M14 with scope only way to go, or stick with your ACOG.  Best thing about a scope is target ID at distance.  Is that Haji with a shovel on his shoulder or an RPG?  Optics is the only thing that is going to help.  YMMV

F.A.S. Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top