Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 12:11:42 AM EDT
How much is it going to cost me for my father to send some of my personal items to Iraq, once i get there?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
It will go to an APO so it will just be normal US shipping rates, basically the rate from where he ships it from to NY is how it's figured.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How much is it going to cost me for my father to send some of my personal items to Iraq, once i get there?

If the items are small enough, use flat-rate USPS boxes.  Good pricing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 4:45:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Good. I was worried that it was going to cost me an arm and a leg to send an EOTech or other items halfway around the world. Thank god for APO addresses.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Ya it's easy to get stuff sent over, when I was in Kosovo it took about two weeks normally and from what I've heard it's about the same to Iraq.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
make sure you put the base name and apo and NOT the country name (I.E. iraq or kuwait). That way the haji dont get ahold of it and pick through it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:39:06 AM EDT
[#6]
From US to Baghdad takes abotu 7-10 days priority. First class is longer.

Also, i've heard rumors that USPS would charge the flat rate amount for any size package going to an APO. Haven't been able to confirm that though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:53:44 AM EDT
[#9]
based on my experience here (leaving in a couple weeks!) some advice:
1) any item you own that is similar or identical to an issue item of high value(ie eotech) have a memo from your command indicating it is your personal property with serial number or a recipit showing you bought it. I loaned a trijicon to another troop and when he was rotating home customs confiscated it as stolen us property! apparnetly he could not prove it was not gov property.
2) many units are issuing lots of high value stuff here- like surefire flashlights, eotechs, etc. Travel light-you may find all the stuff you need sent to you is already here.
3) shipping is pretty cheap large boxes my wife sent only cost 10-15 per box shipping.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top