Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 4:52:50 PM EDT
For those being activated from the IRR

I was activated May 18 – just days after receiving my college degree and to say the least I almost fell over upon receiving the letter.

I reported July 4th of all days to Jackson SC – here are a few “tips” from my experience.

I was starving for this type of information before I went in – I hope this will help.

Oh – If you want an extension of your report date then hound HRC St. Louis – Once you report all bets are off.  The whole system is a bit messed up.  We had men with canes just coming off of back surgery  – they didn’t Release For Medical or REFRAD, Release From Active Duty until – get this – until the two week pay period was up.  So if you are expected to get out, then it won’t be for about two weeks after you inprocess – that is so messed up.  You will ship the Friday of the pay period.

The orders stated that I should take any available uniforms, bdu’s, and class “B’s” if available.

Take nothing but a shaving kit, and hygiene items, towel, running shoes, 1 pair of civilians or shorts, insignia for uniforms, and at least 4 pad locks.

I also brought a laptop, GPS, mp3 and some other electronics.

Don’t pack your stuff in civilian luggage.  I had everything in a GI duffle bag and I also packed an empty one in the bottom.  If the airlines see that it looks military – there will be no overcharges or extra poundage charges.  It really helped me to have that extra duffle upon going from base to base.

You will be issued one full duffle of useless gear – see below for more info.

Oh – this is important – what is stated on your orders as your unit may or may not happen.  For instance – I was slated to merge or be assigned to a MI unit, yet since we arrived over strength, the Army chose who they wanted to fill those slots by alphabetical order.  The rest of us (5) are now sitting in Ft. Benning awaiting new orders at the needs of the Army.

Orders said not to bring and high speed stuff – knives, etc. etc.  I had no clue what to think.  It could have been a shakedown as I remember from day one from basic.  So I brought nothing.  Instead I had relatives have boxes of gear ready to ship etc.  There wasn’t a shakedown – anything goes – but that’s hard to predict depending upon the cadre and where you are being shipped.

I digressed a bit.

I originally reported to Jackson and here is their typical schedule.  I’m 11B – and we were the first 11B’s they had seen.  60 Minutes did their story on the IRR at this same training facility a year ago.  Some of the cadre were still there and remembered the crew.

Upon arriving from the airport at Camp McCrady – about 10 miles from main post – I was approached a Brown Round Dr. Sgt.  – and did the hair stand up on the back of my head – I only remember the Drill’s as being total pricks – and I thought, “oh, hell, here we go – this is going to suck.”

It couldn’t have been further from the truth – they were professional, and somewhat compassionate in the fact that we “showed up”, and we were being “pulled” back in.  They were totally squared away and treated us as equals – it was very refreshing and made the training sometimes, even enjoyable.

Day room had 6 pc’s with internet access.  Chow was decent but had to compete with PLDC and other guard units.  Many combat patches floating around – more then I’ve ever seen.  Back in the day (4 years ago) if you had a combat patch, you were a god.  Now E-4’s are waking around with Mustard Stains on their wings and 3/75 tags on their right shoulder.

Day 1 – wake up at 0430, cadre introduction, commander introduction, and chow at 0600.  On the busses at 0700 for Medical and dental inprocessing.  1630 end of day.

Day 2 – Wake up at 0530, Chow at 0600 Classroom at 0700 for Finance briefings and then inprocessing later that day.  Bring your rental agreements, marriage licenses, social security numbers, etc.  Bring all paperwork you will need to set up your family etc.  1630 end of day.

Day 3 – Wake up at 0430 for Piss Test, Chow at 0600 on the busses at 0800 for Uniform issue.  This was a Basic Initial Issue from basic training.  Everything was green and insane and stupid.  I’ll leave it at that – jog your brain and remember the madness – oh, and yes we did get a M65 Field jacket.  1400 end of day.

Bring your own boots if you have them – that will save you from going insane.  Deserts would be a good pair to bring.

Day 4 – Wake up at 0600, PT at 0630 – Introduction to the new PT – if the Drills give a damn, they will teach it to you – if not it will be just plain old PT.  This day was all classroom, of various admin stuff.  Also it was NBC mask issue, and TA50 issue of LCE, Kevlar etc. – everything that was needed for next weeks ranges.  1400 end of day.

Day 5 – Wake up at 0600, PT at 0630 – NBC training and chamber – CLS refresher and CLS lanes.  The CLS lanes were set up in an urban setting to simulate what may be seen in theater.  The NBC chamber was a tent and it wasn’t the horrific basic training type – enter the tent walk around in a circle, break the seal – reseal and then eventually leave.
1500 end of day.

Day 6 – PT Test – be ready for a PT Test.  If you are E-4 promotable you will be offered your E-5 if you pass.  If not well, you may be offered it again.  I took advantage the first time and got it over with.  We were all E-4’s but it’s not unusual to be with Full-Bird’s depending upon your MOS.

M16 familiarization classes with some electronic qualification crap – field strip and Close quarters drills.  Clean weapons – basically getting ready for the next days range days.
1400 end of day.

Day 7 – Wake up at 0530, PT at 0600.  Range day – M16 Qual and Close Quarters Qual.  Even if you don’t qualify you will be sent to the needs of the Army.
1400 end of day.

Day 8 – Wake up at 0530, PT at 0600 Classes – IED’s, Commo, Call for fire, Nine Line Medivac – and some other stuff.  CQB range.  IBA issue.  End of day 1500.

Day 9 – Wake up at 0530, PT at 0600, Classes for Convoy Operations.

Day 10 – Wake up at 0600, PT at 0630.  Convoy operations.  Clean weapons, turn in gear and get orders.  End of day 1400.

Living conditions were in an open bay – fairly new and fairly decent with good lockers.

Was it good training – from what was expected, yes.  Will it be applicable to may situations in theater, probably only about 20 percent of it.  I was reassigned to Ft. Benning Conus Replacement Center for further in processing, most of which I did the two weeks before, and then get this – got another Basic Issued.  I sent that one home because like I said before it’s all worthless.  I now have 4 pairs of new black gortex boots – for the love.

We are now in an MOS Refersher and it’s just worthless – absolutely worthless and the Army should be ashamed.  We integrate with Basic Trainees and we are at the Crawl stage and it’s so painful because of the waste of time.  For instance – we will be going to the IMT lanes tomorrow.  Individual Movement Tactics – but I’m trying to keep an open mind.  “Cover me while I move, I’ve go you covered !!”

I'm headed to the "Box" -- where and what country I will find out next week.

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah ha a post with some info I can use! I was just activated and report to Ft. Jackson on 5 September. I sent you PM with some questions Thanks
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't seem bitter about having done your time and getting called back just as you're getting ready to start the rest of your life.  I'm not sure I could handle a recall.

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]
good luck man! and don't forget about us here if you should need something...
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#4]
If you find out your headed this way let me know.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh hell.

Tag, and I hope that I won't need your insights.

Thank you.  

What, if anything, do you need or would you like?

Good luck

-Ben
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 11:26:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I’d like a Team privileges so I can search this site past 30 days and the specific boards.

Right now I’ve got all my bases covered quite well with the exception of Ear pro.

I have all of my high speed web gear in boxes ready to ship – along with other tactical necessities.

1 SDS rack and 1 TT rack.  Pouches can be raped for permanent mount to IBA and the other can be individually worn at will for green zone work.

My only concern is specific gear upon entering into country – Mitch helmet, Web gear – I’m wondering what the SOP is going to be for individually owned gear and what can be worn and what can’t.  That will be dependent upon the discretion of the commander.  I am hoping there will be “Big Boy Rules” as apposed to something stupid.

I also have a Kifaru Marauder on order, if not for missions, at least to keep all of my specific war tools in an organized manner and not all lumped in a duffle.

I am also searching out some electronic ear pro, such as Sordin’s or the Peltor Com-tac II series.  Protecting my hearing is very, very high on the list – currently a set of good muffs are running about $250 without the comm. Kit.  Comm kits push it to about $550.  I’m sure I could operate just fine with out the comm kit as it would be an item for Key-Leaders, etc.

I’ve heard that optics are not a real problem in theater unless it’s something very, very specific – well see.

The Army is paying pretty well – at least more then what I expected, about twice as much, when you factor in BAH, BAS, and Separation.

Other then that – it’s frustrating because the Army is just plain old stupid.  The freedoms of specialized units are missed when you enter into this mess.

Thanks for listening

J.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#8]
It is amazing that it is almost a year ago this month that I received a letter from HRC activating me from the IRR.

I went to FT. Jackson, FT. Leonard Wood, and then to FT Benning where I linked up with my unit.  Living conditions at Jackson were great, but everything after that steadily degraded all the way to Camp Beuhring, Kuwait.   We couldn't wait to get into Iraq.

Drill Sergeants at FT. Jackson were professional and didn't treat IRR soldiers as basic trainees.  Of course looking at all the different unit/combat patches and scare badges we wore, they knew we weren't newbs.  They in fact were sincere in trying to get us up to speed, soldier wise, and tried to prepare us as best they could for our transition to active duty.   There were a few Infantry enlisted when I was there a year ago.

As you said, don't bring too much stuff.  Enlisted will be issued BDUs and boots, while officers will be made to buy them at clothing/sales if you didn't bring any.  Also, pretty much all the hooah gear will be issued later, after FT Jackson, once you get to your unit through CIF and RFI.  Before leaving for Iraq, I had a chance to go home for Christmas for 4 days, and I left all my black boots, BDUs, and excess TA-50 I thought I would need.

See my post on what to bring or leave behind in www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=132&t=310984&page=2

Individual MOS refresher training varies in quality depending where you go.  But after talking to other IRR soldiers it appears every school house really didn't know what to make or do with us.  However, that was a year ago, with the first massive call-up of IRRs.

As for collective/unit training at FT Benning... don't even get me started with that "Acorn" patch unit... grrrr.

We have a quite a few IRRs in my unit.  Needless to say, we are all doing remarkably well.  Unlike what the press would make you think, I find all IRRs here more professional, perform better, and easier to task.   No discipline problems with any of the IRRs.

I don't know what ear pro is, but you'll fry wearing ear-muffs out here.  It averages between 120 to 130 degrees right now.   We get issued the yellow and green combat earplugs.   I hardly use those since I'm usually on the radio using hand-mikes, one on each ear (I hate using the headset with intercom thing).

I used to carry nine mags on my IBAS using some high speed pouch system I bought at Ranger Joe's back at FT Benning.  I ditched that and now carry six mags using old school ALICE mag pouches.   I've seen some soldiers with thigh mag-pouches for the M16.  I need to get one of those.

We used to strap/zip tie huge knives or M9 bayonets onto our IBAS.  That got old and now many of us ditched the knives too.  Everyone wears a leatherman or Gerber tool though.   Once in a while I'll have a K-bar or SRK on my hip, but lately I've opted to wear a digital camera there instead.

Good luck.  Keep us posted of your progress.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I copied that previous post of yours and have religiously been passing it around from buddy to buddy.

Great stuff - and thanks for that info.

It helped me out a lot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 11:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
this is a great info thread. all of the stuff i was wondering was answered. I got my orders last week w/ a report date of Sep 5th at Ft Jackson then onto FT Bliss for unit assignment. I was wondering if ill be abel to mount my EOtech or should i not even bother bringing it. If they are going to issue Aimpoints i dont even want to bother bringing my own pricy optic.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:03:44 PM EDT
[#12]
stingerjg, wait until you are in the unit you will be deploying with.  Then you can find out what they will issue you.  If you need the Eotech then, have someone send it to you.  Beats lugging it around in your duffle, until you get in country.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:22:49 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I’d like a Team privileges so I can search this site past 30 days and the specific boards.

Done.

Thanks for your service.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:34:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the help from everyone. It looks like stingerjg and myself will be heading out together, we both have the same report date and are both in the same MOS. Quick question for the guys that have already been through this, how long were you with your actual unit before actually deploying?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's an update -

I am the only one of the group I am with, of 27 men, that is going directly incountry.

My point being - jeeze, anything goes you know.. It drives you crazy trying to figure this stuff out.

From here I report to Ft. Bliss Tx, for a "real" round of inprocessing and gear issue and then I should be on a plane to Iraq by this time next week at the earliest - two weeks from today at the latest.

All others are shipping to units at Sill and Camp Shelby Mississippi - some of their units are deploying the day they are shipping to them.  Who knows when they will link up.  I've hear that ideally you will be with a unit for at least 2 months before you ship, and then have a weeks R&R before you ship.

For the love man -- stay strong.

J.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:26:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Here's an update -

I am the only one of the group I am with, of 27 men, that is going directly incountry.

My point being - jeeze, anything goes you know.. It drives you crazy trying to figure this stuff out.

From here I report to Ft. Bliss Tx, for a "real" round of inprocessing and gear issue and then I should be on a plane to Iraq by this time next week at the earliest - two weeks from today at the latest.

All others are shipping to units at Sill and Camp Shelby Mississippi - some of their units are deploying the day they are shipping to them.  Who knows when they will link up.  I've hear that ideally you will be with a unit for at least 2 months before you ship, and then have a weeks R&R before you ship.

For the love man -- stay strong.

J.

Sounds like the good old Army I remember lol. I'm suprised they are sending you to Bliss to ship out since you are already at the CRC in Benning, they must have a group going through at that time they are going to push you in with. I'm glad you at least have some idea what's going on now.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:45:37 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Hopefully your membership will be activated by the time you hit the sand.  Stay safe!

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#18]
You arent missing much at MOB Camp Shelby.  I just finished up my 2 months train up here and was supposed to go on block leave today but the Army though it better I stay to haVE a heart murmur looked at.
 Training here sucked for any 11B types and is more geared for support/service guys.  1week to go before  its off to camp Navistar.
Very grumpy grunt.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#19]
A few more notes to the group -

A I sit here in Ft. Bliss I have found out that I will only be allowed 3 duffle bags in country.  Well I already have two of which I traveled with and I will be getting another 2 this week -- hmmmm.  So I have to whittle down one more duffle to ship home of mostly my Green gear and anything extra that can go.  My point being - stay lean - all of this stuff sure adds up.

Another point -- make sure you set up a MYPAY account and in the MyPay system set up your direct deposit.  You can do it all online - then when you go to inprocess you have it all taken care of, you won't have to do it from scratch, and it will save you some confusion and time in getting paid.  This is critical -- just do a search for MayPay and the site will pop up in any search engine.

Also -- if you haven't already - set up an AKO email account.  Chances are if you were pulled in from IRR you already have one, but really didn't know it.  You will have to get a password and work through the system to get up and running but - if you can do it know on your own time and with your own resources, it's a but more comfortable, etc.

That's the update -- I should be at the birthplace of civilization in about two weeks.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:50:49 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
A few more notes to the group -

A I sit here in Ft. Bliss I have found out that I will only be allowed 3 duffle bags in country.  Well I already have two of which I traveled with and I will be getting another 2 this week -- hmmmm.  So I have to whittle down one more duffle to ship home of mostly my Green gear and anything extra that can go.  My point being - stay lean - all of this stuff sure adds up.

Another point -- make sure you set up a MYPAY account and in the MyPay system set up your direct deposit.  You can do it all online - then when you go to inprocess you have it all taken care of, you won't have to do it from scratch, and it will save you some confusion and time in getting paid.  This is critical -- just do a search for MayPay and the site will pop up in any search engine.

Also -- if you haven't already - set up an AKO email account.  Chances are if you were pulled in from IRR you already have one, but really didn't know it.  You will have to get a password and work through the system to get up and running but - if you can do it know on your own time and with your own resources, it's a but more comfortable, etc.

That's the update -- I should be at the birthplace of civilization in about two weeks.

Were you able to set up the MyPay before you left? I've tried a couple times and it keeps telling me that my SSN is not in the system.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:21:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I may be wrong then if you are coming in from scratch.  Maybe because I was getting GI Bill benefits kept me in the system util I got notified of active duty.

There may be a phone number or some kind of customer service etc., that you could search out.

Sorry to lead you on that it would be easy to do - better to figure it out now though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is something else worth considering.

You may think about bringing your own pillow and a set of sheets.

Upon moving from place to place you will find yourself sleeping on someone else's funk - meaning the pillows are supposed to be washed or cleaned, yet who knows.

I'm recovering from a cold from hell - probably received from all of the pillows I've been sleeping on.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:41:36 AM EDT
[#23]
For those of you who have been pulled to active duty from the IRR - what MOS are you?  I know the original post said 11B, but he was sent to an MI unit...did you have multiple MOS's?  I'm an 11B and will be going into the IRR in about Jan (or whenever the stoploss lifts), and will have just under 2 years in IRR.  I'm just trying to see what the chances are that I'll get pulled.  If I re-up with my current unit it's almost guaranteed that I'll be deployed.  If I'm going to get pulled off IRR I'd rather just re-up and go with my current unit than go god knows where with god knows who...

I always thought it was mainly MI, MP, transportation and other pogues, not the 11B's but what do I know?  So for the guys that have been called up (or if you know anyone who has) what MOS's are they calling up?
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:25:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Both RRTX and I are 14S (Stinger missle, Air Defense). Im pretty sure its not a high demand MOS right now. The Iraqi air force isnt a threat, so im sure we will be reclassed to somthing else or fill in for another job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#25]
n8loi - if you had it to do over again, would you join up?

-The lowly DEPper
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:53:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Do you mean - did I have any second thoughts or regrets by joining when I did ??

Or do you mean - would I have joined up to avoid being re-called ??

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:48:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Sounds like the system is getting pretty squared away.  My Navy unit got recalled for the first Gulf War and it was pretty close to a cluster at every stage.

We were processed in at the Navy Hospital in Long Beach and they had handled a few individuals about a week before us but we were the first group of any size.  One young man found out very abruptly that  the term, "Sorry Sir, but we don't process dependents cards on Mondays, only Wednesdays, and since it's after working hours, your wife will need to come back in a few days."  miraculously changed to "Maam, can you stand here for the picture I'll have your card ready in about 5 minutes."   A masterful reaming with only a few instances of the f word by a female E-7, I'm sure many of you have seen an E-7 explain things and can imagine the scene.  Quite apologetic, I asked him if he had ever been chewed for staying open?  Well yeah he had.  Don't sweat it, you can figure that things will be changing everyday, and as a Seaman, you'll find out that they generally will forget to tell you about changes until afterwards.

We had to get a CHAMPUS Non-Availability to continue using our own Doctor, Ma Danby was 7 months pregnant.  The clerk was saying "You need to get her tested.  We can't take your word.  We have to have the record of the test in the record, and she needs to start a health record."  the leading edge of Ma D came around the corner and then the rest of her.  The LCDR Nurse at the Ob/Gyn Section had been listening in and heard me say I wanted to see whoever needed to issue it "NOW", realized that irrestible force was going to overwhelm the bureaucratic immovable object looked and saw her.  "Issue,it now"  "When are you due and when do you leave?"  "Due in about 2 months, last childbirth class tonight, and leave tomorrow or day after.  Waiting for travel to be confirmed."

Got over to Japan for further transfer to Sealift Command facilities, and they had us sign up for direct deposit.  It will probably take about 2 cycles to start.  We got one direct deposit, and then started getting checks again.  Why?  We were theoretically called up for 90 days and the system was set up to give the last two months pay by check and not direct deposit.  Went through that twice because the first 90 day recall was followed by another 90 day recall.  Ended up being  11 months for me.

6 months into my recall, I got a call from my wife.  I was at the CO MSC Far East HQ in Japan, (pack a seabag with uniforms for hot and sandy and I end up in Japan and Korea in the winter).  Seems that the AT School request that I had cancelled and was assured by the Reserve Center in writing had been cancelled, hadn't been cancelled at the  highest levels and I had orders to be in Washington DC in 5 days for the class which had been reinstated hence the 5 days notice.  They also provided a number to call to get travel arranged on short notice.  The Point of Contact was a lady I had talked to before in arranging ATs for unit members in the past.

me - "Commodore, can I go to COMSC for a 2 week school next week?"  

COMSCFE -"Hell, No, what boondoggle school?"

me- "The Command Center Orientation Course, that's one they decided we needed to take before we would be considered  for being an exercise watchstander at this level command."

COMSCFE - "You mean they want you to take a school before coming here for an exercise to be just an exercise  watchstander and team member, and you;ve been here for 6 months and are a real world Crisis Action Team Leader and Staff Duty Officer?"

me - "Yes Sir, never can tell when they might need to fill an exercise billet at the last moment."

COMSCFE - "You're better qualified to teach that class now than any of the Reservists they will have teaching it.  In fact they'll probably have you teach it.'

me "Well yes, but I can stop and see the baby.  He's 5 months old now."

COMSCFE "Nice try, let me know if I need to call anybody"

me  "Got it covered"

At 0800 Washington time.  ring ring "Hi, Mrs Smith, this is LCDR Danby.  Oh, pretty good.  Say, I have orders for the class next week and my Boss isn't going to let me have the time off.  Says it's a boondoggle and a waste of the tazpayers time and money."

"But they have to let you go"

"He is going to raise a stink and says he'll call the Admiral if he has to.  Tell you what, is Capt. Jones in today?  Can you go ask him if he can postpone me to the next class?  I really want the class because I've been at a bunch of the exercises and would really like to catch one at the area command  level.  I can hold."'

"You rat!! how long have you been there?  He says he wants you to come teach the class."

"Yeah, I know, it was worth a try.  Honestly we cancelled the applications when we got called up, and the Center confirmed the cancellations.  You know George, call him, he'll tell you we cancelled them.  Look I'm still going to try to get to a class back there.  Maybe I can come back and teach one next year.  Call George at the Reserve Center, he can let you know what apps are in and valid and which we cancelled.  "

Remember when Desert Storm was over?  I didn't get home until July 3rd.  And they kept trying to send me home to the wrong city.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 10:47:56 AM EDT
[#28]
I am an Army Reserve Recruiter and just have to say that anyone in the IRR is more than welcome to transfer into a reserve unit near their home. There is a bonus of up to $5,000.00 called the reserve affiliation bonus if you come back in your old MOS. You can even pick your unit ..I suggest this as an option to avoid getting placed back on active duty and sent to iraq
Link Posted: 11/21/2005 11:17:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Wow !! -- hold that thought.

To the group -- I'm in Baghdad running with a convoy security team assigned
to MNSTC-I.

Comms are spotty -- hard to get online.

I will fill the group in when I can and I will continue this discussion.

RLTW
Link Posted: 11/22/2005 5:20:37 AM EDT
[#30]
So how are things in Bagdad?
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the report on what to expect. I have orders for December 11th for Ft Jackson, SC. I can tell you right now that I can not pass any PT test that involves more than breathing or falling down. I have been out of uniform since 1997 and have my 20 years in, I thought I was done done DONE, so I got fat and lazy and am surprised they even called me.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#32]
I made it through Fort Jackson in one week due to the holidays. I am at Bragg now. There are about 100 troops here all being reclassified to Civil Affairs. Except me, I am already Civil Affairs.  We will be here untili about April when we will go to the box.

This site has a lot of great info, I am not here that often but when I am it is nice to see what I can see.

Oh and that rule about out of all that you bring, 1/3 will get lost, 1/3 will break and 1/3 will get stolen, it is too true. Leave the high speed toys at home and get lossable replacements.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:45:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Thanks for the report on what to expect. I have orders for December 11th for Ft Jackson, SC. I can tell you right now that I can not pass any PT test that involves more than breathing or falling down. I have been out of uniform since 1997 and have my 20 years in, I thought I was done done DONE, so I got fat and lazy and am surprised they even called me.

Wow, you'd been out for 8 years before you got the call?  I know there's lots of demand for CA, but wow.  How much notice did they give you?  
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:37:42 AM EDT
[#34]
Yep, I left Civil Affairs in Janary 1998. At first I felt like it was nuts here, but want nuts? How about a guy who has been out since 1973 and was only 11B for a couple years in Vietnam? Then they yank him in here as an E-5, and at dental they decide to pull 15 teeth to make him deployable. Yes I said fifteen that is not a typo. Then they find fatty tissue on his head from when a hammer fell on him years ago so they cut that off of him to make him deployable.

Yes, the Army is hurting bad for CA, We are all over 40, out of shape and whatnot. I thought I was going to be the worst but I am darned near the best at a mere 30 lbs over the max.  We will be doing PT and they tell us not to worry at all about the PT test and weigh in, we are bound to pass before we leave CONUS in April. And if we do not pass, we still deploy.

So imagine 100 people going to CA school.  Make that 99. I already have the MOS.  All these poor guys are being reclassified after many years!

As for notice, I got orders April 22 to show up May 22. I put in a D&E packet that was denied and then they changed it to July 24th, August 5th, August 8th, September 11th, September 25th, then fnally December 11th.  All their errors, and they listed me as a deserter in that time (if you hold a TS you go right to deserter, no awol).  They Army has not changed.

We have computer labs here but they really suck. I am logged on now through my cell phone. Since I know computers, everyone wants a laptop and cell connection through me. No prob, it helps me keep my civilian skills in shape.

The lockers we have can barely fit one duffle bag. And we are supposed to get our TA-50 in 4 hours.

Well they cannot stop the clock from ticking, so I will wade along and cross off another day!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Wow -- I feel for you man.  Geting called up and then being held in the system for so long before getting in country.  I was lucky to get it-on as fast as I did.

I had to take a break from the board, after I was offered the idea of re-enlisting etc.  I almost lost it and before the PTSD set in I had to just step away -- step away.

The Army is so messed up -- probably because it is such a numbers game -- jesus... we are now getting briefed on how to be safe in a "combat zone" for the love of god man.  Safety while you are at war - can you beleive.  Soo -- it's not about losing a life or an hurt soldier it's about losing a number filing a rank.

Ok -- i'm off my soapbox --

Keep the faith and you will be home soon.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Sitting down?  I am on LEAVE for 11 days!  Yes!  Now for people that HAD to have me right away, no delayes, no exemptions, we get leave.

And this last week at Bragg was a joke. We did 1.5 days worth of work in 5 days.  Formation 1215 for TA-50, that gave us the entire morning off.  Sheesh.

Hey you guys in the box, I swear I would already be there is if was not for this ineptitude.

Today we go to get shots, and we are not in DEERS!  You see in "the army" we are in Wordwide DEERS. When we were at Ft Jackson that was the south, but Ft Bragg is considered the northern area, so here we go, fill out stuff again, Heaven forbid you actually forgot your little yellow shot record because your arm is gonna hurt something fierce, So now we are in the northern DEERS system, all entered manually.

Merry Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:01:37 PM EDT
[#37]
It gets better. Everyone went to Ft Dix for Civil Affairs school and reclassification.  Except me, since I am already CA qualified. So I will sit here for 29 days waiting for the gang to come back.

Yea, sure the Army needed me bad enough to yank me out of the IRR.  This will make 40 days off since December 11th!  HA!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top