Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2018 6:08:01 PM EDT
So has anyone here been posted to
Djibouti? What about nearby parts of Africa?
Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:16:59 PM EDT
[#1]
@McEggins
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 6:46:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m just here because I love saying Djibouti.

The capitol of Djibouti is Djibouti.

Djibouti. Djibouti, Djibouti.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:17:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
I'm just here because I love saying Djibouti.

View Quote
(Rolling Stones)

Shattered, shattered.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:19:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably shows my ignorance but is McEggins a military base in the area?
High probability my son will be headed there in a few months.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:22:32 PM EDT
[#5]
What do you think you'll be doing there?  It's largely unit dependent on whether or not you'll be able to go to the nearby parts of africa.

In terms of the place itself and the base you'd be staying at, it's hot and polluted.  Like, wake up in the morning and smell the burning trash type polluted.

The base is well built, with a mainstreet, newish chow hall that never has a line longer than 15 minutes for the omelet line, pizza hut, subway, and a couple of rec centers.  A nice Wardroom, wifi purchasable for your CLU, and some oportunities to take your days off offbase.  But that last part depends largely on if your unit will sign off on your leaving the base.

That's the broader aspect of it, shoot some more questions if you want some more in depth knowledge.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Shake shake shake
Shake shake shake
Shake your Djibouti, shake your Djibouti

Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:33:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Actually it will be my son going in the spring for a 6 month tour. The pictures I pull up look pretty grim. Not sure what his unit will be doing day to day. I take that in part they will serve to be a reactive force is something breaks loose in other locations.

How hot does it get over there? Sounds extreme to me.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 7:59:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DvlDog] [#8]
I was there for all of 05 and 06. Camp Lemonier was only 55 acres back then. I loved it. I had a difficult, high stress job that kinda ruined it for me but Africa was great as far as deployments go. I hear it's only gotten better in regards to facilities

Truth be told, its not really much of a "deployment" as far as danger and combat. Hell, you can leave base to go drinking in town. The French military takes their families there.

Your kid will be fine unless he's an idiot. HIV rate is 13%. Stay away from he ethiopian hookers and any russian and he'll be ok.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:20:32 PM EDT
[#9]
What do you want to know?

I was there in 07 for about 7 mo. We had a pool, 2 bars, gym, running trail and a/c in our tents. KBR ran the dfac and the food was awesome.

I’ve had much worse deployments.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. That's a relief.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:43:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Formerly known French Somaliland it is stable and hosts numerous military bases.  US, French, Chinese, even Japan.  Nothing to do there except fly to Dubai.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 8:46:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By fisherman:
Actually it will be my son going in the spring for a 6 month tour. The pictures I pull up look pretty grim. Not sure what his unit will be doing day to day. I take that in part they will serve to be a reactive force is something breaks loose in other locations.

Thank you.
View Quote
Super quiet, and the base has been quite well developed since I was there in '04/'05.

There's a bar on base, and liberty out in town.  Tell your boy to stay away from the hookers and he'll be fine.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:59:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Flipping hot.

Better developed now than when I went there in 79'.  Back then it was all French foreign legion and Armee de l'air.  Down town was sacred cows, dutch beer, and a zillion sketchy skinnys.  Worst part of my visit was every cab driver who would fly through traffic at 80 mph while stoned on khat and blind as a bat from chewbacca cataracts.  Good times... heh.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#14]
So it sounds like a quiet area. Low chance of combat.
That's not bad news from my pov as a parent but he may see it differently.

Not worried about him taking chances socially.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Thank you.
View Quote
Basically, after the whole Benghazi debacle they wanted to have a new unit in strategic locations that could get from the base country to the new country within 6 hours or so.  
The time is something I pulled out of my ass, but the important info is that your son will be doing a lot of sitting around like he's in garrison back home.  Practicing packing and loading up C-130/C-17s, having all your shit cleaned and prepared, and trying not to get caught shamming.

If he's there for 6 months after springtime, he won't see temps below 80 degrees.  Daytime gets up to 120+ with humidity, I think there were a couple of days that felt like 130.

Best he can do is take advantage of the rec centers, get reading done, and talk to the fine foreign chicks who get onto the base.  French, Italians, Germans, etc are all coming on and off the base.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 3:35:52 PM EDT
[#16]
A guy I know was stationed there.  Army Forward Observer, fighting AQ connected Al Shabab in Somalia.

No liberty and several countries have troops based there. USA, China and France all have bases.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:28:41 PM EDT
[#17]
One and all very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Your son is going to learn the meaning of Africa hot.
Link Posted: 12/14/2018 12:00:42 AM EDT
[#19]

Thank you.
View Quote
My youngest spent some time there a few years ago as a pilot for a quick reaction force. Sounds like a pure shithole.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 2:20:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#20]
Tell him to take an insulated water bottle, and don't worry about bringing any winter clothing items.

The lending library over by the NEX is pretty decent, and there's a Subway that won't make you sick. Pizza Hut in 11 Degrees is okay, and the DFAC has a little grab and go on the side where you can grab a panini sammich, drinks, fruit and whatnot. There are two Green Beans on post, one by the E6 barracks and the other on the main walkway across from the old gym. There's also PX and a sewing shop right there where you can get alterations/repairs and so forth. They can also do custom morale patches.

The living conditions are decent, getting toward really nice in the E6 barracks. There's not a lot to do other than online classes, reading, gaming and going to the gym.

As others have mentioned, the air quality there is absolute shit. They burn piles of dead camels and tires every so often, which is simply fabulous.

It's got the potential to be among the best deployment locations ever, if your unit isn't actively trying to ass everything up with useless complications.
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:03:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: txjim42] [#21]
My son was there for a bit last year.  Camp Lemonnier.  Said it was hot, dry and poor.   The most excitement they saw was two donkeys bumping uglies.

And something about sleeping naked on rocks... I didn't ask.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2019 3:34:27 AM EDT
[#22]
He has the potential to get laid a lot.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
Tell him to take an insulated water bottle, and don't worry about bringing any winter clothing items.

The lending library over by the NEX is pretty decent, and there's a Subway that won't make you sick. Pizza Hut in 11 Degrees is okay, and the DFAC has a little grab and go on the side where you can grab a panini sammich, drinks, fruit and whatnot. There are two Green Beans on post, one by the E6 barracks and the other on the main walkway across from the old gym. There's also PX and a sewing shop right there where you can get alterations/repairs and so forth. They can also do custom morale patches.

The living conditions are decent, getting toward really nice in the E6 barracks. There's not a lot to do other than online classes, reading, gaming and going to the gym.

As others have mentioned, the air quality there is absolute shit. They burn piles of dead camels and tires every so often, which is simply fabulous.

It's got the potential to be among the best deployment locations ever, if your unit isn't actively trying to ass everything up with useless complications.
View Quote
That's the key isn't it?  Everybody in charge of something either felt the need to add in something to pad their OERs or felt the need to fuck off and never answer questions.  There for you when you didn't want them, not there when you need them.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:40:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Tagged for interest.

Bottom line, its very job dependent.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#25]
I spent a year there.  The on-base facilities were decent.  If allowed to go downtown, go with a group of at least 4.  There's an excellent Ethiopian food place that caters to foreigners.  Worth the dinner and show.  If able to do MWR trips through the base, jump on them.  They're excellent.  Also, there used to be a diving class taught on base.  If free time is available and you're not dive certified, do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 10:01:53 AM EDT
[#26]
He's gotta be heading out soonish, right?  Does he have any other stuff he wants to know/if he's already there, how's it going?
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 4:26:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: doubleclaw] [#27]
Any updates? I imagine it's gotta be getting pretty warm over there by now, and the mosquitoes and humidity make a wonderful accompaniment to the lingering camel/tire smoke.

For his own safety, I advise him to stay away from the bottom edges of the T-barriers, and do not set your plate carrier/IOTV down on the ground against the barriers; snakes like to hide under those things, and they will slither up into your gear. One of our guys shook a carpet viper out of his vest one day. Not fun. When you see the locals clear out from an area, that usually means there's a venomous snake of some sort poking his little head out to say "heeeey." There is one particular called a Boomslang that will kill you bad, and they do not, as far as I know, have any stocks of antivenom closer than South Africa.

Do not give Benadryl to any baboons, smuggle them on post or dress them in unit t-shirts for funny selfies in the CHU. It ends badly.

Don't bring prostitutes on post, beat them up or dump them outside the front gate. It is frowned upon.

Don't stomp any chickens or cats. That's weird.

No muzzle-tapping the glass in the guard shacks. If you do, though, be sure to carve a Puerto Rican flag into the glass surface so they'll now who to blame.

Chasing mongooses...mongeese?...across the ASP loading area is fun.
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:00:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:
Shake shake shake
Shake shake shake
Shake your Djibouti, shake your Djibouti

View Quote
Fixed.

But, also consider the spelling of “Sheikh.”

Link Posted: 6/2/2019 5:01:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By DvlDog:

Your kid will be fine unless he's an idiot. HIV rate is 13%. Stay away from the ethiopian hookers and any russian and he'll be ok.
View Quote
That’s pretty damned solid life advice, in general.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#30]
So has anyone here been posted to
Djibouti? What about nearby parts of Africa?
Thanks in advance.
View Quote
I spent a year over there. It isn't terrible. Gets pretty hot in the summer, triple digits day and night. I was off base 3-4 days a week, depending on what you do, you'll be stuck on base except for MWR events and a discussion groups.
Link Posted: 7/24/2019 5:28:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Its basically like a prison...the spectrum of outcomes is entirely up to you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 12:59:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Any news?
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 4:32:32 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 5:37:16 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By kpel308:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxoJRFa9vlc
View Quote
CLASSIC!!!

Only stopped in a few times dropping folks off or picking them up.  Seems like one time we spent a couple days flying in and out of there, circa 2011.  I spent three months in Sig and was in those parts of the world when Gidaffi was killed.

I’m sure there are beautiful places to see in Africa but I didn’t see them and have no desire to go back.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 6:37:52 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By BigeasySnow:
I’m just here because I love saying Djibouti.

View Quote
I think their leader is Sheik Djibouti.

I might be wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top