Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2011 2:52:30 AM EDT
i've noticed facebook people who while they are deployed and people on this site who list their address or location as the place they are deployed to.
is that an opsec violation? any insight?
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Not too smart, but not an opsec.

One of the bigger dumbass moves I was was from 1-8 Cav when they convoyed from Iraq.  Each night they would post pics of where they were staying and a short blurb IE "1-8 Finally made it to Taji tonight!  2 more days and we'll be in Kuwait."

That was on the Squadron's FB page.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:09:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I know a guy who actually posted firing positions, distances, and fucking flight line photos on facebook, how his ass wasn't reprimanded is beyond me
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 7:19:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I actually have made it mandatory for first-line supervisors to check the privacy settings of their soldiers social networking.
Anal, I know... They're also counseled on it.

We've had... problems, in the past.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 1:45:03 AM EDT
[#4]
I still dont have a facebook.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 3:28:42 AM EDT
[#5]
We don't check Soldiers Facebooks but as a general rule I don't post any deployment photos till after the deployment is over and NEVER post a status update pertaining to the deployment.
Link Posted: 10/25/2011 6:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I actually have made it mandatory for first-line supervisors to check the privacy settings of their soldiers social networking.
Anal, I know... They're also counseled on it.

We've had... problems, in the past.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Which is why when people ask about facebook, I reply what's facebook?
Link Posted: 12/1/2011 8:15:15 PM EDT
[#7]
All the FOBs are on Google Earth and LNs clean the latrines on all the FOBs. If you want to know the schedule for an outgoing flight or convoy ask the guy that sells bootleg DVDs. I think it's a safe bet to say that all the LNs know the lay out of FOBs and what units are there better then we do. How is "John Doe" posting that's he's deployed to "FOB Whatever" an OPSEC violation? Every one knows it's there and that doesn't give away what goes on on that FOB or make it an easier target. Everything the US military does is ethier of Wikipedia or found through Google. The LNs even knew all the route names and CPs when I was there. Whats dumb is the Army issuing unsecured cell phones to the chain of command so all the big wigs can keep in touch, genius.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top