Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2010 7:28:59 AM EDT
Is it me or are 556 ammo prices starting to drop?
I remember a few years ago I could get factory 55 gr ammo for about 14-16 cents each, now it seems the lowest is about 32 cents after shipping.
A few months ago 556 was still around 36 cents
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 5:39:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yep.  I have been advising dont buy for the last 2 years.  I dont think prices are bottomed yet, but they are getting close.  Now is a good time to start buying in quantity again IMHO.

Maybe its the tightwad in me but I'm hanging on for another 25% drop. Then I will load up on SHTF ammo.

I like your style.  

Still think it's "OK" to buy again.  But yes, a little patience and prices will likely get even better.  I chuckle at the new "blow out" "overstocked" "sale sale sale" e-mails I'm getting from Cheaper Than Dirt.  Their prices are still inflated IMHO.  Their "sale" price is what I consider a price I suppose I could live with at a non-Walmart retailer on my way to the range in a pinch.  But decent deals are out there to be found now.  I always start at Wideners - check out their IMI (finest ball you can get).
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#2]
ill buy when i see 150 a case for brass.... 99 for wolfie. and not a dollar sooner, lol.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 5:50:06 PM EDT
[#3]
It looks like 223, 7.62x39, and 308 are droping. But on the other hand, 7.62x54 and 5.45x39 seem to be inching up. Looks like surplus in those are drying up and no real domestic production.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]
.45 ammo is still a PITA to find at decent prices.  At least .380 seems to be in stock most everywhere. I can finally shoot 1 of my guns after 2 years.
I wasn't blessed with good ammo prices. I got into it right at the election.  In order to learn I had to pay.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 6:51:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm glad I still have 4k rds from 4 years ago lol
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:01:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
.45 ammo is still a PITA to find at decent prices.  At least .380 seems to be in stock most everywhere. I can finally shoot 1 of my guns after 2 years.
I wasn't blessed with good ammo prices. I got into it right at the election.  In order to learn I had to pay.

45 is finally all over the place around me.  About 3 months ago you could not find it anywhere.  I can get Win Ranger T at the local police store for $26 and Wally World Federal for $15.86.  Shelves are loaded for once.

357 Mag is another story.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#7]
...treat your ammo like shares you buy on Wall Street:

instead of "dollar cost averaging" try "ammo cost averaging:"

do it by buying ammo at a steady pace, some here, some there. Buy much more when it's cheaper, and buy less when it's higher.  It will "average" out at a fairly decent price.

VIZ:

What Does Dollar-Cost Averaging - DCA Mean?
The technique of buying a fixed dollar amount of a particular investment [ammo] on a regular schedule, regardless of the individual prices. More rounds are purchased when prices are low, and fewer are bought when prices are high. But you are constantly buying...

Also referred to as a "constant dollar plan".
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
...treat your ammo like shares you buy on Wall Street:

instead of "dollar cost averaging" try "ammo cost averaging:"

do it by buying ammo at a steady pace, some here, some there. Buy much more when it's cheaper, and buy less when it's higher.  It will "average" out at a fairly decent price.

VIZ:

What Does Dollar-Cost Averaging - DCA Mean?
The technique of buying a fixed dollar amount of a particular investment [ammo] on a regular schedule, regardless of the individual prices. More rounds are purchased when prices are low, and fewer are bought when prices are high. But you are constantly buying...

Also referred to as a "constant dollar plan".

Very well put, I was thinking the exact same thing while reading the comments in this thread...The only thing I can add is: Just don't let your supply fall bellow what you would want to have or feel you would need to protect yourself and family given some type of serious natural or man made disaster. I mean after all, that is the primary reason (at least for me) that I stockpile ammo, you never know when the supply may quickly dry up and the demand may suddenly increase for God only knows what reason....Better to err on the side of caution, at least that is the way I see it. just my .02 cents worth...
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:38:49 PM EDT
[#9]
YES.... DANGER!  FALLING PRICES...

Palmetto's got 62gr 5.56 by PRVI for 309/k.  Couldn't touch that for less than 370 a couple months ago
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 1:46:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep.  I have been advising don't buy for the last 2 years.  I don't think prices are bottomed yet, but they are getting close.  Now is a good time to start buying in quantity again IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 2:20:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Do you think they will go back to what they were ? Wolf 11 cents Reg for 17 cents?
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yep.  I have been advising dont buy for the last 2 years.  I dont think prices are bottomed yet, but they are getting close.  Now is a good time to start buying in quantity again IMHO.

Maybe its the tightwad in me but I'm hanging on for another 25% drop. Then I will load up on SHTF ammo.
Link Posted: 8/25/2010 3:41:41 PM EDT
[#13]
If we have a double dip recession like it is beginning to look like, I guess that prices will continue to fall a bit more.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 7:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

45 is finally all over the place around me.  About 3 months ago you could not find it anywhere.  I can get Win Ranger T at the local police store for $26 and Wally World Federal for $15.86.  Shelves are loaded for once.

357 Mag is another story.

I nabbed 1K of Federal .45 at the gun show in Dulles, VA for 330 including tax. Felt pretty good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I have plenty and am reloading, still at $250 per K, I'd have to wade in.
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
$330
wow what a deal ?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2010 4:20:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Why did this get moved to deployed?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember when M193 used to go for 200 per 1000rds

I do admit I picked up some M855 for 325 / 1000 shipped
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top