Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 6:53:18 PM EDT
Vince Young takes Steve McNair's boys to father-son breakfast
By Chris Chase

At the funeral of Steve McNair(notes) in July, Vince Young(notes) told the slain quarterback's two young boys that he would always be there for them. On Wednesday, Young lived up to that promise.

The Tennessee Titans quarterback surprised McNair's two sons, Trenton and Tyler, by taking them out to breakfast as part of their school's annual father/student tradition. As The Tennessean reports, Young showed up at the McNair house Wednesday and took the children to a pancake restaurant, along with a number of other families at the school.

"It was a great, great gesture,'' said Julie Dilworth, admissions director at the school. "All the kids had been talking about the dads' breakfast and (Trenton and Tyler) were wondering what was going to happen with them.

"They were thrilled ... the boys came to school with huge smiles on their faces.''

Young and McNair never played together on the Titans (McNair was forced out of Tennessee weeks after Young was drafted in 2006), but the two had grown close years earlier after being introduced by McNair's uncle. Young referred to McNair as "Pops" and said after his death that "he was like a father to me". But he doesn't view his recent deed as paying anyone back:

"It was out of love. Steve would do it for me. He pretty much did it for me when I was growing up. I have a history with the boys and I want to do anything I can. I am their big brother."

Young has had his share of problems since entering the NFL, both on the field and off. For him to be involved in something like this is heartwarming, not just because of the boost it gave to McNair's fatherless children but because of the boost it could possibly give to Vince Young.

Pretty classy there Mr. Young, you just earned a few points in my book.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 9:22:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 10:09:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Pretty classy there Mr. Young, you just earned a few points in my book.

+1.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the kind of stuff you like to see. Nice job, Vince.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top