Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2008 4:09:51 AM EDT
Any surfers out there?  Surfboard builders?
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 4:27:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I've tried it when I went to my friend's condo at the beach.

I could see how it would be tons of fun, but I just couldn't stand on them.
Link Posted: 8/25/2008 6:30:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Howzit !

Been surfing since 1961 and even though I'm now 60, I still get out when I can. My son is the owner/operator of a surfboard company here in Fla. that he started 1992.

My grandson (below) at age 6 is also a burgeoning 'waterman'.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2008 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome pic.  I wish I started that early.  Whats the surf like in Florida?
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 1:11:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Pretty much non existent here on the West coast except when storms and cold fronts roll through. The Gulf does produce some of the finest waves in Florida -- in terms of quality. Quantity? Well, that's a different story. Here on the Gulf we endure the longest flat spells, the most onshore days and the longest drives to surf in State. You really have to go to the Atlantic side to get any descent waves on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 3:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Are sharks ever an issue in Florida? There's lots of bull sharks in the gulf.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#6]
There have been incidents but they're fairly rare, at least here on the West coast. I fear the Bull's more when wade fishing the bays and inland waters than when surfing in the GOM.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:14:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Some pics from this past winter...

Me and me again.

Our home break.

Makaha.  Those are humpbacks in the background.

My oldest comtemplating pipeline.

First surfboard build.  5'10" x 19" x 2".  I've done 3 more since... working on #5.

The kids and Bruce Irons.

Some guy from Florida.
Link Posted: 8/26/2008 11:23:52 AM EDT
[#8]
That dude from FL is a loser.

My surfing's cut back considerably since the birth of my son. I did make it out a little this year. Hopefully that'll continue to increase.

I made one board but again, that endeavor was curtailed with the birth. I finally decided I didn't have time and other interests were filling the time so I sold off everything. Sometimes I wish I'd held on to the Clark planer, though.

Pretty simple first board (6'8" x 14 1/2" x 21 1/4" x 15 1/2 x 2 3/4"):

Link Posted: 8/26/2008 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That dude from FL is a loser.

My surfing's cut back considerably since the birth of my son. I did make it out a little this year. Hopefully that'll continue to increase.

I made one board but again, that endeavor was curtailed with the birth. I finally decided I didn't have time and other interests were filling the time so I sold off everything. Sometimes I wish I'd held on to the Clark planer, though.

Pretty simple first board (6'8" x 14 1/2" x 21 1/4" x 15 1/2 x 2 3/4"):
www.swaylocks.com/resources/uploads/4/694-647766Gecko1%2520-%2520Deck.jpg

www.swaylocks.com/resources/uploads/5/695-250673Gecko1%2520-%2520Bottom.jpg

Cool logo.  I've never even touched a clark planer.  I use a cheap bosch.  I see you are a Swaylockian as well.
Link Posted: 8/27/2008 4:36:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks. My "brand" was Gecko Surfboards. Kinda hard to read the words in the pic.

I'm still on Swaylocks but it's been a looooooooooooong time since I've posted.
Link Posted: 8/28/2008 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
My cousin is a pro longboarder, yet I have never surfed. You may have heard of him.  Guy Takayama or his uncle Donald Takayama.  Guy has GT surf designs and Uncle Donald has Hawaiian Pro Designs.  I have no blood relation to Donald but am 1st cousins with Guy.  
Believe it or not, my wife also has famous surf cousins (not quite as close as me and Guy though) yet also does not surf.  She's related to the Irons.  I just showed her the above picture of Bruce without the name showing and she recognized him immediately.  Sadly she has lost touched with them since her mom passed many years ago and they probably wouldn't even remember her now.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2008 4:36:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Guy and Donald make some sick boards.  You two should start surfing... its in your blood!  
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Too many hobbies, too little time.  Not to mention too much work.    My grandparents used to have an avocado ranch in Fallbrook, CA and when Guy and I got together there on weekends, we would shoot our guns back in the hills!  One of these years we'll surf...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top