Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2021 2:48:28 PM EDT
Curious if there are any golfers on the boards since shooting is just golf with noise. :)
Spending a couple weeks in Bend next month mostly mountain biking but have friend visiting and there are nice courses in the area.
Am I fooling myself I can get decent enough to join some friends for a round in 6 weeks?
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how quickly you pick up things and your friends' skill level. Watch a couple youtube videos about technique then go to a local range and hit a couple buckets of balls.

I suck at golf so I'd never play Pebble Beach and waste the greens fees but I am good enough to play some nice courses with friends who are very good, it just takes me a little longer than them. And I have never really gotten much better than I was when I first started.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:06:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 58Teague] [#2]
Kind of the same position, except my goal is Aug.
I play once a year. Know the game, just not good.

My plan:  

-Youtube videos on swings
-Once or twice a week on the driving range.

Six weeks is plenty of time if you set a training schedule.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:16:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SideCarGT] [#3]
Spend the majority of your time working on your short game. That's where most golfers, including long time golfers, practice the least and suffer the most. I used to play with a group of 80-90 year olds when I was young. I could outdrive them by 100 yards, proving how macho I was. Then, they would chip up close, putt once and be waiting on my 2-3 putts. I often had to buy the drinks.

ETA Aim Small - Miss Small is the difference between good golfers and most golfers.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Probably best thing to do if you can is to book a lesson at a local course so someone who knows what they are doing can teach you the basic fundamentals to get you started.

YouTube (I like Rick Shiels videos) and as many driving range sessions as you can get in is probably your next best bet.

Don't take getting good fast too seriously though, you can have lots of fun out there with your buddies regardless of skill level!
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#5]
very unlikely unless you can take a bunch of lessons and practice and play about 5 times a week before then.   PGA member 40+ years, sorry
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Great responses! Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 4:35:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Get yourself a copy of “The four magic moves.”

It will make you understand what you are trying to do.

Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:40:15 PM EDT
[#8]
6 weeks?  Yes, unrealistic.

6 months?  Reasonable.

I started playing when I was 38.  Never swung a club prior.  I took lessons from a PGA pro.  Took me about a year, 20 or so lessons, 25 or so rounds of golf, before I felt like I could go out on the course and not make an ass of myself.  It took another few years before I felt (and played) like I wasn't the worst player on the course at the moment.

I think that's a big reason why the younger generation doesn't like it.  Takes a lot of work, patience and persistance, to even just get not to a point where you're a great player, just a point where you relax and are able to have fun and enjoy it.  That, plus it's a very mental game, almost to the point of being exhausting.
Link Posted: 3/29/2021 5:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ubaddog] [#9]
If you are a natural athlete sure, if you aren't good luck.
You need a coach to jump start your learning curve.
Call a couple local courses, tell them what you want.
6 weeks, you'll get just the basics down if you commit to hours of range and green time.
You'll needs clubs? Try to borrow set/bag from friends if possible.
Perfect practice makes perfect shots.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:48:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Picked up some decent used Callaway woods, a driver 3,4,7 and putter off of eBay. Local shop for glove, 9 iron, bag on sale and pitching wedge which the instructor said would get me going.

First hour of instruction this Saturday at local range about 5 minutes from the house. Looking forward to getting out there!

Thanks for all the great info!
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Spend the majority of your time working on your short game. That's where most golfers, including long time golfers, practice the least and suffer the most. I used to play with a group of 80-90 year olds when I was young. I could outdrive them by 100 yards, proving how macho I was. Then, they would chip up close, putt once and be waiting on my 2-3 putts. I often had to buy the drinks.

ETA Aim Small - Miss Small is the difference between good golfers and most golfers.
View Quote

I disagree with this. You are correct for a mid handicapper who already have basic skills and knowledge of the game but not for someone who is picking up a club for the first time. If he is trying to play with experienced golfers and not look like a doof he needs to keep his balls in play as much as possible. So that’s the tee to approach and everything in between. Who cares if he’s up and down in 5 as long as he’s not spending 30 minutes looking for his balls in the woods every hole.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AlphaThree:

I disagree with this. You are correct for a mid handicapper who already have basic skills and knowledge of the game but not for someone who is picking up a club for the first time. If he is trying to play with experienced golfers and not look like a doof he needs to keep his balls in play as much as possible. So that’s the tee to approach and everything in between. Who cares if he’s up and down in 5 as long as he’s not spending 30 minutes looking for his balls in the woods every hole.
View Quote

Yep, it sounds like we may disagree on where the focus should be and reasonable folks can disagree on the approach.  I see where you're coming from, but I definitely hold to my earlier advice regarding the majority of practice. That doesn't mean that you don't practice fundamentals, including using your woods, but there is only so much time and I would spend more of it on the short game.  This is even more true if you plan to participate in tournaments where a good short game will be much more valuable to the team than a decent tee shot. Practice on the short game pitching and chipping and learning to pick your spot, will also help between tee and your shot to the green.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 11:54:29 PM EDT
[#13]
First lesson today. Good fun and lots to work on. Keeping my arm straight on the backswing and my wrist from rolling seem to be my two big weaknesses at this point. I got a decent swing about 20 percent of the time... fine for a first day but learning to appreciate the deep subtleties of the game. Thanks for all the input and will keep swinging and practicing.

Link Posted: 4/4/2021 4:12:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ubaddog] [#14]
A smooth swing needs practice, it doesn't have to include a ball.

A smooth swing is easier committed to muscle memory if you practice without striking the ball. In the yard T up a ball and step back so your swing is six inches away from the ball. Use the ball just as a place holder for the club vs the club face strike point.
Swing easy,swing smoothly hundreds of times. Muscle memory is a big part of golf and practice is the only way to get it.
When you get back to the driving range, practice swing a few times for every ball you smack.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#15]

5 clinics, a one on one lesson and hundreds of range balls later we spent the afternoon playing a "best ball" short round at the end of the day yesterday. Lots of fun and playing 9 holes tomorrow.
Thanks for the good advice, ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice to see you are enjoying yourself

What course is that?
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 12:02:31 PM EDT
[#17]
The Meadows at Sunriver.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Keep it up. This game takes effort.
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 10:51:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Munoz's Flex Seal shirt FTW!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top