BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2009 10:00:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 12:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Wine doesn't really do games that well.

There is a non-free project called Cedega that is more geared towards games, but it's not perfect and usually lacking support for new games by a few months.

Also, remember that DirectX is a windows only thing, and Cedega tries to turn the DirectX calls into OpenGL, so a lot of the time, the game just doesn't look the same.  Sometimes sprites are much larger than they should be, missing textures, etc.

And I didn't have much luck with punkbuster working on online play.  It kept kicking me because it could detect that I wasn't running windows.

Here's the link to Cedega.  They should have some information on what games it can play on that website if you're still interested.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#3]
For gaming, windows is king.

There are some things you can try but like the above poster said, there are issues with newer games.

Upgrade to windows 7 if you really hate Vista.  You may not like windows 7 either but it's worth a try.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I use Wine here and there for assorted apps.  However, I've never used it for games.  I use game consoles for games.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:56:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm running Ubuntu 9.04 and wine. So far I've run IL2 , Steam with Halflife , Halflife 2 , and a few others installed via steam and they work just as well as on windows. I've installed Q4 and Doom 3 using id's linux installer and they run fine.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:44:48 AM EDT
[#6]
If you don't have an aversion to paid for software you can look at CrossOver Office/Games. It works really well with most of the stuff I played with on Linux a while back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top