Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2009 8:31:48 PM EDT
So, I have a netbook which doesn't have a cd drive, so i am relegated to making a bootable usb version of ubuntu.

I've been following the instructions -> http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-ubuntu-linux-from-usb-stick.html

And I am up to step 4, But I don't know how to make the stick bootable, nor do I know where the fdisk program is.

If you need any more details, I will be happy to provide them.

p.s. If you know an easier way to do this, That would be AWESOME.

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
From the Article:

Prerequisites:

A running Ubuntu 8.04 or any ubuntu version installation

A USB device (stick, pen-drive, USB hard disk) that has already been formatted with FAT32 and has enough free space to hold your Ubuntu installation image

A Ubuntu CD image downloaded from the Ubuntu servers or mirrors (*.iso file) or from here
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!!!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:39:28 PM EDT
[#3]
HAha... sorry, I wasn't very helpful.  Do you have another machine with a CD-drive handy?  You could use the Live-CD on it to boot to Ubuntu live, mount the usb and then use fdisk (from the live, running Live-CD) to setup the usb key to be bootable properly.  Then, use that usb key on the netbook.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmmm....... Interesting......

I'll have to try that.

But, it must wait till tomorrow because I have no blank CDs.

Thanks for the idea!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#5]
But I don't know how to make the stick bootable, nor do I know where the fdisk program is.

You should be able to choose your boot source by tapping one of the function keys while BIOS is loading.  Mine is F12.

Can't you just go into your BIOS settings when the puter powers on?  You can change your boot sequence (priority of sources).  Lots of BIOS have delete as the button to load.  So just keep clicking delete after booting/rebooting and the BIOS should load up.  Then make your external drive the top on the boot sequence list.

Why even use fdisk?  You want to partition?  Make your swap, boot, root, home files or whatever?  It's all in the GUI after you boot, so you shouldn't have to use the command prompt.

The Ubuntu forum is fairly helpful, I've wandered around there a bit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 11:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]
You have to make the USB drive bootable in a DOS command window. Do this by running CMD form the start>run menu option. Ensure that you are signed into the administrator account while performing this operation.

ETA: In your CMD window you should be starting with a blank "C:\" prompt or maybe "C:\windows\system32". You must navigate to the folder where you have downloaded the file (I believe it is the syslinux file you are after, right?" and select it. This can be done by using a command sequence similar to the one I will type below: (the "cd" is the dos command for "change directories"

cd H

cd H:\ubuntu

run syslinux.exe

NOTE THAT H:\ MAY NOT BE THE DRIVE DESIGNATION FOR YOUR REMOVABLE USB DRIVE.

So for this to work the file containing ubuntu has to be on your usb drive. This is failproof, and will work. If it doesn't I will personally remote desktop your machine
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:19:21 AM EDT
[#7]
DISENGAGE! DISENGAGE! YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY DESKTOP! YOU WILL NOT TOUCH MY DESKTOP!

*Blades at 45 degrees*
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top