Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 4:50:12 PM EDT
Hey guys,

I've been using my laptop more and more to stream Netflix movies to the wide screen, or Hulu, or whatever.
The thing is my kids are tying up my laptop watching movies too much and keeping me off the BOTD forum!
So I'd like to get a bare bones laptop or notebook to dedicate to the TV for streaming video.  
What would you suggest, and where?  

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I've been using my laptop more and more to stream Netflix movies to the wide screen, or Hulu, or whatever.
The thing is my kids are tying up my laptop watching movies too much and keeping me off the BOTD forum!
So I'd like to get a bare bones laptop or notebook to dedicate to the TV for streaming video.  

Thanks!  

Well if its just for streaming the cheapest route would be a PS3 or Xbox360, you can stream netflix, hulu, youtube, along with movie files stored on any networked PC off of them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:16:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Thanks!  

Well if its just for streaming the cheapest route would be a PS3 or Xbox360, you can stream netflix, hulu, youtube, along with movie files stored on any networked PC off of them.

There you go, that's why I'm asking, I had no idea.  Will those work on my wireless network?  I'm guessing so.  That's a good suggestion.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 11:54:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Thanks!  

There you go, that's why I'm asking, I had no idea.  Will those work on my wireless network?  I'm guessing so.  That's a good suggestion.

PS3 has built in wireless, the 360 will require an add on adaptor to use wireless.

Now the downside, with the 360 you need to have a gold live account($50) a year. For the PS3 you run an external program like Play On ($40) When using the PS3 to do it, it requires that a computer somewhere on your network is turned on. Rumors been going around for awhile that neflix and hulu will be coming direct to the ps3 with no extra software requirments I don't know if thats going to happen though.

I've used PlayOn myself and it works pretty good.

Just need to decide which system you'd prefer, 360 is cheaper although depending on which model and factoring in a wireless adaptor and live subscription not dramatically so. PS3 has the added benefit of being a bluray player if you don't already have one, and being more reliable then the xbox.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 5:00:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't want to pay a yearly fee for TV, that's why I don't do cable.  
I think that means the PS3 would be my only choice.  
Interesting info, thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top