Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2009 11:07:15 PM EDT
I am looking to get a true 5.1 wireless surround sound system. I was wanting to know who or better yet what make and model is the best. I am looking at spending no more than $500.00 on this. A little more is ok if it makes that much of a difference. Also are they truly wireless? If so how do they get their power to run? TIA.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 12:34:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Short answer... None. There really isn't a good wireless surround system. Interference is always an issue, and tends to degrade sound quality.

In your price range you're looking for a HTiB (home theater in a box), from wht I understand some of the better ones are Panasonic, you're probably gonna want to start there. Panasonic has a HTiB Blu-ray system (SC-BT200 ) for $599. If you don't need/want Blu-ray then DVD model can be had for less, just head over to Panasonic's website they have a lot of options, with or without towers, wireless rear speakers, etc.

Now if you're willing to save up some more then you can get some of the real good stuff .

ETA: The "wireless" speakers typically still have to be connected to a wireless receiver box (which is powered), so it's not really a true wireless, but at least you won't have to run wires through the attic. And it is almost always just the rear speakers that are "wireless".
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 3:24:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Short answer... None. There really isn't a good wireless surround system. Interference is always an issue, and tends to degrade sound quality.

In your price range you're looking for a HTiB (home theater in a box), from wht I understand some of the better ones are Panasonic, you're probably gonna want to start there. Panasonic has a HTiB Blu-ray system (SC-BT200 ) for $599. If you don't need/want Blu-ray then DVD model can be had for less, just head over to Panasonic's website they have a lot of options, with or without towers, wireless rear speakers, etc.

Now if you're willing to save up some more then you can get some of the real good stuff .

ETA: The "wireless" speakers typically still have to be connected to a wireless receiver box (which is powered), so it's not really a true wireless, but at least you won't have to run wires through the attic. And it is almost always just the rear speakers that are "wireless".

-Right on. I just want something without having to deal with running wires for the rear speakers that is all. I really don't care if it is truly wireless or not as long as the two rear speakers do not have any wires to deal with. If someone makes these which ones should I get? I want good quality so I might end up uping my price range a little. Any specific surround sound system that any of you guys want to reccomend to me that does not have wires for the rear two speakers please let me know. TIA.
Link Posted: 6/2/2009 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:

-Right on. I just want something without having to deal with running wires for the rear speakers that is all. I really don't care if it is truly wireless or not as long as the two rear speakers do not have any wires to deal with. If someone makes these which ones should I get? I want good quality so I might end up uping my price range a little. Any specific surround sound system that any of you guys want to reccomend to me that does not have wires for the rear two speakers please let me know. TIA.

Like I said, My recommendation would be the Panasonic SC-BT300 or the SC-BT200, the difference being that the SC-BT300 has more wattage and tower speakers for the fronts instead of satellites. Both systems have wireless rears (again the speakers themselves are not wireless but go connected to a wireless receiver). CNET rates the Pannasoinc HTiB systems as one of the best. I would also suggest heading over to AVSForums (the ARFCOM of AV equipment) and do a little searching and asking.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:44:20 PM EDT
[#4]
btt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top