Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2009 11:24:58 AM EDT
Well, while i was at the hospital becoming a dad ( Again ). My anti-virus expired. I dont use my home computer much, so i didnt notice.

My little sister told me the computer was kicking her off the internet. Checked, sure enough, no virus protection.

Bought norton online and it wont download. Called symantic support. They said it was a virus and wont allow a anti-virus programs to download until it has been removed.

Norton wants 100 bucks to do this

Anyway i can do it?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Try this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Let me know when you have done this and post the log created at the end
it may take some time after the reboot to create the log so be patient
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Are you able to download any of the online free anti-virus programs (like AVG or Avast)?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Are you able to download any of the online free anti-virus programs (like AVG or Avast)?

No. I have tried the Norton that i bought online and pcdefender. It wont allow me to download and instal anything.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 11:57:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Try this

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-combofix

Let me know when you have done this and post the log created at the end
it may take some time after the reboot to create the log so be patient

I'll try that when i get off work. Funny thing about this virus is. As long as you are just going to and reading sites, everything is fine.

When you try to link off that site, it goes dail-up and thens kicks me off the internet.

Example: I can go to ar-15.com. But then, if i click on my messages, i get booted.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:17:32 PM EDT
[#5]
When you get off work try the link if that doesnt work maybe you could download it at wirk put it on a thumbdrive and take it home?

You may try that with an avg and avast install as well

If you do that with combofix make sure you right click copy and paste it to your thumb drive you cant drag it
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When you get off work try the link if that doesnt work maybe you could download it at wirk put it on a thumbdrive and take it home?

You may try that with an avg and avast install as well

If you do that with combofix make sure you right click copy and paste it to your thumb drive you cant drag it

Thanks, I'll try that
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 12:28:00 PM EDT
[#7]
and there is always safe mode with networking?
just let me know how it goes and if you use combo fix remember to post the log and i can see what the deal is
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
and there is always safe mode with networking?
just let me know how it goes and if you use combo fix remember to post the log and i can see what the deal is

Where do you want me to post the log?
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#9]
You can pm me or post it here
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 2:59:45 PM EDT
[#10]
wont finish downloading. one source says that i have to have a digital driver. the other source says i cant rename the file
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:27:37 PM EDT
[#11]
are downloading on the infected computer?
If so boot up into safemode with networking and try
or download from another pc and use a thumb drive
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Be careful.  If you don't already have this fixed you should go with the pros.  You have the vundo virus and it is rapidly propogating itself with various dlls all over the place.  You probably should let Norton fix it if they can.  You will find out if you haven't already that you cannot visit any of the boards with explanations of how to remove this virus and cannot install any protection, free, share or purcased.  At some point antivirus2009 will start and say you are infected but it will not remove the virus unless you pay them, do not pay them, they are the idiots behind the virus.

If you have another pc, I would switch to it and search for vundo fix asap.  Don't keep trying things and rebooting as it only gets worse.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
are downloading on the infected computer?
If so boot up into safemode with networking and try
or download from another pc and use a thumb drive

Yea....Lost on that one. I can try to download on a thumbdrive at work tomorrow. One of the downloads says it wont work on a 64 bit computer. yes i am trying to download on affected comp. now.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Before removing the Virus make sure you shut off System restore.

Does it know what the Virus name is?

You can go here and do a free scan.
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Before removing the Virus make sure you shut off System restore.

Does it know what the Virus name is?

You can go here and do a free scan.

Tried that. and performed a scan for the vundo virus. nothing. i have vista, so the last link wont work.

thanks for the help guys. i am just too computer illeterate. i just need to take it to a professional
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Super anti spyware is alright
Malwarebytes is better
but before you can use those you need to run combofix it will remove almost all of the vundo and Malwarebytes will get the residual
try the thumb drive at work

and i wouldn't pay to have this fixed I have fixed over 30 computers with this same infection you need patience Im not a pro Per Ce but i know my way around this stuff I plan to be a pro one day my best advice is go to http://www.malwareremoval.com/forum/index.php?sid=0b66c018a37149ed0c0ec378d26aebba
They will help you they are the best i was in theier online school for a while but didnt have time to complete it I plan to eventually They will help you
Link Posted: 1/25/2009 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Download malwarebytes from www.malwarebytes.org

run it and it will clean your system.

I have only had to run it once on most computers.

Dump symantec and get Avast.

You can download a free version, it is all I use and I don't get viruses at home.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top