Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2008 11:11:36 AM EDT
Wife's computer is so damn slow - I have tried all that I can think of, Norton is good, de-fragged, etc.  What's the next step?  Looking at PC Pit Stop, etc...  Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Wife's computer is so damn slow - I have tried all that I can think of, Norton is good, de-fragged, etc.  What's the next step?  Looking at PC Pit Stop, etc...  Any thoughts?

Norton is BAD.  Kill it and use AVG.  Also some people seem to love adding crap - weather bug and the like.  Remember, the CPU is a juggler.  He can only juggle so many apps.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#2]
What is AVG?  Our Norton is expiring in a week or two, so it's perfect timing to jump ship I guess.  I have used Norton for years and been happy, personally.

ETA:  I found AVG's site, what's better about it, looks like a very similar offering, not cheaper though...
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#3]
ccleaner

edit.

recent windows versions (from the NT line) such as 2000, xp, vista, server do not need optimization per say, as they are well designed, considering.  one might be more apt to say that windows needs a power washing every now and then...

It is mostly likely 3rd party software (cheap, poor quality) that is fucking up windows and not anything that Microsoft did.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:01:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What is AVG?  Our Norton is expiring in a week or two, so it's perfect timing to jump ship I guess.  I have used Norton for years and been happy, personally.

ETA:  I found AVG's site, what's better about it, looks like a very similar offering, not cheaper though...

you can get it for FREE
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:14:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Is this it?  How do I get it for free?

http://www.avg.com/product-avg-internet-security-3-pack-edition

Quoted:
Quoted:

you can get it for FREE

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:16:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 4:19:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

free.grisoft.com
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Have you tried:
1. Remove all the crapware
2. De-glitz / Optimize the OS (google it)
3. Don't run any any "Messengers" like "AOL Instant Messenger" at start-up.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I got a registry cleaner. I clean the registry every day, and I defrag the hard drive every other day, and my computer got a lot faster when I started doing that. I've been following that routine for three months now, and it has remained at it's fast speed. No slowing down.

There are free registry cleaners out there (I've tried a few) and they do okay; but the best one I tried is one that you have to pay for. It's Registry Booster2 and it works well. Unlike a lot of other registry cleaners, you can also defrag the registry with it.

That's what has worked for me. Hope it helps.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got a registry cleaner. I clean the registry every day, and I defrag the hard drive every other day, and my computer got a lot faster when I started doing that. I've been following that routine for three months now, and it has remained at it's fast speed. No slowing down.

There are free registry cleaners out there (I've tried a few) and they do okay; but the best one I tried is one that you have to pay for. It's Registry Booster2 and it works well. Unlike a lot of other registry cleaners, you can also defrag the registry with it.

That's what has worked for me. Hope it helps.

You really shouldn't have to defrag more than once a month at the most.

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 7:36:06 PM EDT
[#11]
1. fdisk
2. reload
3. ?
4. profit
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 7:51:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

#1, JUNK norton
#2, get ESET antivirus
#3, REFORMAT
#4, Reload OS

I think #3 and #4 shoudl happen before #1 and #2.

btw, all those programs out there are a waste of money.  Go into windows, and defrag/cleanup HD/ and change the boot options yourself.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 3:28:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top