Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2008 4:24:48 PM EDT
Im sure you guys get tired of stupid questions...but I have one.

So I have some mp3 formated CD's that I am trying to rip to my pc with the goal of adding them to my mp3 player.
My problem is that I get a error msg telling me that they are in the wrong format to rip.
I am running Windows Vista is there some setting I need to adjust?

Im filling a couple of mp3 players to send to my sister in Iraq if that gets me any sympathy.
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#1]
what program are you using?

if you're using MP.. make sure you go in and set the format to the appropriate one for the MP3 player you're using.  (some are only .MP3 while others do .WMA or some other proprietary format)

usual disclaimers apply
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:40:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So I have some mp3 formated CD's that I am trying to rip to my pc with the goal of adding them to my mp3 player.

What do you mean by "mp3 formatted" CD's?   Have the CD's already been ripped and the music already in MP3 format on the disc?   If you look at the CD through Windows explorer, what do the file names look like?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
i'm confused. if they're already ripped into MP3 format onto the CD, then you dont have to Rip them again. just copy them from CD to the computer.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#4]
There not pre-burned mp3s. There brand new it just says mp3 CDs.
4 cds have 80 hours of audio on them. If I open them in windows explorer it gives the file name followed by "mp3 format sound"
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i'm confused. if they're already ripped into MP3 format onto the CD, then you dont have to Rip them again. just copy them from CD to the computer.

that makes two of us!
I am spoiled from simply sticking audio CDs in and they just fire off on auto.

I have tried switching from format Win Media audio to mp3 with out much luck.

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:59:30 PM EDT
[#6]
interesting. i've never seen commercially pre loaded mp3 CD's before.
in windows explorer, can you right click and copy?

also, i know itunes will do it, but i'd suggest against using itunes. its garbage. try media monkey. its supposedly a good music management program. also, winamp might do it too. winamp does damn near anything.

both are free by the way

edited for typos
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I can play them...I just cant seem to do anything else with them.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Interesting.

Since they are new, what did the package say was recorded on the CDs?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:13:23 PM EDT
[#9]
boot a live distro of linux and see what you can do
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 5:56:11 PM EDT
[#10]
You don't need to rip them again, they've already been ripped to mp3 format (the *.mp3 file names).  Now you just need to get those copied to your MP3 player.   For the player I have, I would just connect it to my PC via USB so it shows as a drive and simply copy the files from my PC and paste them to the MP3 player directory, but different players work differently.

What's your MP3 player...Ipod?...Sansa?...Zune?

If you copy a couple of the songs in MP3 format from the CD to the hard drive, can you  play them from the hard drive with a software player like Winamp or Windows media player?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:01:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That confuses me...they are MP3 format on the disc, right?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Sansa.

I tried to do just that.

PLugged in the Sansa and tried to sync it with the mp3 disk with the same results.

I did see a selection to "format" the Sansa followed by a warning that it would remove all the current info.

I do have a second empty player. Maybe if I try and format it something will take?
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That confuses me...they are MP3 format on the disc, right?

Correct. The Disks are in mp3 but the Media Audio format is checked on the PC
I was refering to the format selection setting on the PC.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:10:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for trying to hold my hand here guys.
Im fixing to crash for the night.
Ill take them to the tech guy at work in the morning and see what he can do.
Ill let you know what he figures out.
IM sure its something simple that I am just not able to explain well for you guys.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:10:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Sansa too, but it's an older model.  I plug it into the PC and it shows up as a removable drive.  I copy all of the music already in MP3 format to a folder on the  mp3 player  removable drive and the player indexes it when I disconnect so it's all done through Windows Explorer and no other software.  Like I said, mines an older model though from several years ago.

What software are you using to try and sync it up?  And  what model Sansa do you have?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top