Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2008 3:04:48 PM EDT
Anyone ever run a UPS/Surge to protect their Home Theatre System? Not to run for any significant amount of time, just for evening out twitchy power service. I know if you exceed the wattage of the unit and the power goes the UPS could catch on fire.

I am looking for opinion and guidance here as well as Home Theatre Forum. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I really doubt you will start one on fire, it will more likely just trip the circuit breaker in the thing.  It'll start with the overload light/buzzer on then usually just click off.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:52:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Its a very good idea. I have my home theater on surge only. UPS with power conditioning is a wise investment.

I just ordered this for my pc cuz my current ups is woefully undersized.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16842102070
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 4:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Its a very good idea. I have my home theater on surge only. UPS with power conditioning is a wise investment.

When I took the two hits in 5 mins and then my Denon went to sleep till it reset minutes later I knew I should be doing something more.

Thanks for the pointer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 7:40:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Those are great.  I have 3 of them in my house.
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
yes, because my stereo has a bad habit of not wanting to come out of standby if it loses power
so now it's on a ups so hopefully when the power goes out it won't act up
Link Posted: 10/17/2008 6:35:13 PM EDT
[#6]
The UPS is a good idea.

See, what it does is take AC and convert it to DC in order to charge its batteries.  Then, a new AC source is generated.

If you want even more protection, consider a surge suppressed receptacle ( www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=22335&minisite=10028 ) so that the UPS would stand less chance of being exposed to surge spikes.

Surge suppression isn't something that is necessarily adequately dealt with at one point.  In some cases, I also install surge protection panels at the service entrance ( www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=22336&minisite=10028

You can get as elaborate as you want - it all depends on the money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top