Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2008 12:18:30 PM EDT
At work she has documents she currently has to print, and fax to a bank. Well, the bank will only accept these documents in pdf format from now on. I am waiting on all the details, but some of them are .doc, and there are others.

My question is, is there an application available that will convert other file types to pdf?

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Get a free printer driver that pretends to be a printer to the computer, but it makes PDFs.

There's about a dozen of them for Windows.

I use PDF995. (Free with ad display.)  Use Google to find it.  Just download the software and the driver (separate for some copyright reason) install, and there's a new printer that prints to PDF from ANY program that can print.

They  might not be able to edit the PDF afterwards if they do that, but they probably won't want to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 12:34:02 PM EDT
[#2]
When I had Adobe Acrobat writer, I could use Word to print to a .pdf.  They should be able to spring for that.  The document can then be locked and password protected.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I use CutePDF for this (link). Free and easy.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies, I just sent her the link to this thread, this should help alot.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:11:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I like PrimoPDF (another printer driver PDF generator).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:22:52 AM EDT
[#7]
OpenOffice will save directly to PDF (and also open just about any format out there). All free, open source software.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:23:13 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Get a free printer driver that pretends to be a printer to the computer, but it makes PDFs.

There's about a dozen of them for Windows.

I use PDF995. (Free with ad display.)  Use Google to find it.  Just download the software and the driver (separate for some copyright reason) install, and there's a new printer that prints to PDF from ANY program that can print.

They  might not be able to edit the PDF afterwards if they do that, but they probably won't want to.

Correct me if I am wrong... but isn't that the whole purpose of making a PDF file, to make it uneditable?

Thanks for the info though, I thought that Adobe was the only way.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:43:12 AM EDT
[#9]
I am late to the game but I will add PDFCreator.  Like some of the other apps mentioned here it will add a PDFCreator "printer" that allows you to "print" any document to a pdf file.  I like this one most because it works great and is free and open source.  It is now part of the standard build where I work.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 3:34:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Correct me if I am wrong... but isn't that the whole purpose of making a PDF file, to make it uneditable?

The primary point of [P]ortable [D]ocument [F]ormat is that it is portable to any system.  PC, mac, unix, etc., and the formatting/text/images/everything stays exactly as originally 'printed'.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
..................Correct me if I am wrong... but isn't that the whole purpose of making a PDF file, to make it uneditable?

Thanks for the info though, I thought that Adobe was the only way.

The PDF creator can specify if the doc can be edited or not via password. We get a postal form from a mail house each month and slug in our name/address, etc.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:29:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top