Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 4:48:31 PM EDT
I'm looking for something a little more challenging than Hello, World to get my feet wet in Objective C and Cocoa Touch development.  It's always more fun to write something interesting than just a dummy app.  Any suggestions?  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 4:53:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Think you could write a background clipboard that gives the thing copy and paste?

I keed, I keed.  Here's a free bump from an iphone hater.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You could do copy & paste in an app, but you are limited to one app at a time running so that makes it a little tough.  3G iPhones can run an app and talk at the same time.  2G phones can only do one or the other.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#4]
first present it to the Lord and master .. steve jobs..

no use working  on it,, and then not have it approved..

this isnt a case of.. " if i write it.. it will automatically go in the app store "..   no sir..  its not that way  at all.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:00:45 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hello world.  I remember that.

Does the new Iphone a remote desktop?  Can you tether it?

I know its off topic, but if your writing apps, you must know a lot about the thing

I realized I didn't answer your original question.  There is an iPhone app that give you a remote desktop to your mac.  It's free.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:01:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:04:14 AM EDT
[#7]
something to disable that stupid lightsaber app my brother keeps playing with all the damn time. nothing more annoying then being attacked by an iphone that sounds like a lightsaber.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 8:05:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm looking for something a little more challenging than Hello, World to get my feet wet in Objective C and Cocoa Touch development.  It's always more fun to write something interesting than just a dummy app.  Any suggestions?  

I don't think anyone has cornered the market on dowsing apps for the iPhone, so its ripe for you to claim that territory.

Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:06:37 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
something to disable that stupid lightsaber app my brother keeps playing with all the damn time. nothing more annoying then being attacked by an iphone that sounds like a lightsaber.

Punch your brother.  Take away his light saber.  

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#10]
id really like to be able to sync my existing notes and todo items from apple mail. of course, a lot of other people would to - so maybe there is  an obvious obstacle.

i've also thought some type of shopping/grocery/inverntory manager would be interesting. perhaps that also allows the camera to function as a barcode reader.

although the emphasis seems to be on standalone apps, i personally think there are a lot of opportunities for software that can extend or that work in conjunction with desktop apps.

Link Posted: 8/2/2008 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate the suggestions, even the dousing one. :-)

Apple has you sandboxed in pretty good on this limiting what is possible.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
How about something that will pull a list of your subscribed threads from ARFCOM and include links to that specific thread? With the option of viewing it in the lite version if you still are on the EDGE network and the full version if a 3G or Wifi connection?
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 5:40:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Ballistics tables/calculator would be real nice.
Link Posted: 8/2/2008 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

There are already a couple for the iPhone, but I agree.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 9:53:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That one is web based.  Native would be much better.  My range has squat for service so a completely local app on the iphone would have benefit.  Shouldn't be that hard to do either.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That one is web based.  Native would be much better.  My range has squat for service so a completely local app on the iphone would have benefit.  Shouldn't be that hard to do either.

My range has sketchy coverage also, thats why I suggested it. I would pay for a native app.
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
iPhone ballistics

Thanks for posting the url.

I just went to the url of the app and this is what comes up

Currently our web host is unable to meet the demand of NOBal Comp; we're in the process of sourcing a more capable web host, so please check back in a couple of days... We should be back online by then.

Regards,
WebDiligence.ca

So there is demand or they had a crappy host. Hopefully they do get the app back online so I can play with it. I would prefer a native app though.

Link Posted: 8/6/2008 7:40:14 AM EDT
[#19]
What I'd really like is to be able to use the GPS ability of the iPhone, or enter a street address and pull up my local tax assessor's web site to see info like appraisal, recent sales, plats...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top