Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/14/2008 3:48:05 PM EDT
Question about importing archived .pst file in last post.....
My computer is taking a crap on me.  Of course, it's about 7 years old, and my brother laughed at me when I read the specs on it to him.  Apparently my old 1.15 GHz Athlon and 256 of RAM is not that great anymore.

So my computer is going soooooo slow, and freezing up all the time now.  AND it's hit and miss as to whether or not it's recognizing my DVD burner to even burn a back up disc.  Thank goodness I just recently backed up all my digital photos of the fam before all this started.

Anyhoo, he doesn't know (I guess he doesn't use and isn't familiar with Outlook) how to save all my e-mails  and e-mail addresses, etcthat I have in Outlook befoer we try to shut all of this down.  He did say that he hopes most of it can be saved since he plans on putting it into the new machine as a 'backup' hard drive.... but I don't know if my XP is corrupted, or what is going on making me have all these problems.  (If it IS corrupted somehow, is it going to corrupt the new hard drive as well once I try to move files over?)

Sorry for the ramble..... and you'll have to excuse my bad/incorrect tech lingo.  There's a reason I don't do much with my computer.

Oh, BTW, my only burning software is Sonic(?) "Record Now!" or something like that.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#1]
There is an "auto archive" feature in the tools options of Outlook.   I would suggest that
you set it to archive your emails to a flash drive at the earliest opportunity.  Be sure the
flash drive is big enough.  4 GB flash drives are readily available and I doubt you need
one that big.  

Set the auto archive drive to the flash drive, and the next backup interval to "right now" or
as close to that as you can get it.   Then after it's done,  back up any and all important
documents to the same flash drive if there's room left over,    and then as a precaution
I would then copy the contents of the flash drive to a blank CD-R for an additional, and
more permanent, backup.   Making two copies wouldn't do any harm.

I would advise against putting a drive with problems into the new machine.  You don't
want to take the chance that it's got problems due to an undetected worm or virus that
may corrupt your new machine.

New computers are getting really inexpensive, even the higher models unless you go
for some insane gaming rigs,  so you can get a pretty hot machine for less than your
current one originally cost you.

The two brands I would personally recommend are Gateway (which has the advantage of
using industry standard, NON-proprietary motherboards, so practically any upgrade or
accessory should work) and Dell, which has provided me with several good computers that
are very reliable, with good customer service,  although their motherboards are
customized and somewhat proprietary.  Not every accessory or upgrade is going to work
on a Dell,  but you can trust the upgrades and accessories that Dell has tested and
approved.   E-machines can be considered to be in the same range as Gateways, in
fact it's the same company and nearly the same computer.  Differences are mostly
cosmetic between the two brands.   E-machines are intended to be more "entry level"
for a little less money.   Emachines desktops start at 298 dollars,   Gateway desktops
start at 449 dollars, and Dells start at 269 dollars.   And any of them will stomp your
old machine into the ground.

CJ

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I found this when searching to do the same thing. Hope it helps.

I created a folder on my desktop (email backups), then I opened one of my email folders in Outlook Express and selected a number of those emails.

From there, I simply dragged those selected emails into the folder on my desktop.

Sure enough, they copied right into that folder - attachments and all. (my emails contain a lot of pictures and graphics)

The extension on these copied email files is .eml which is what I expected.

From there, I copied one of the emails that had an attachment and then I went to my other (Windows) email, created a folder and pasted that email into that new folder.

When I double clicked on it, in the new folder, it opened and was complete, with the attachment.

edited to add: Once you copy the emails into the first folder (email backups) you can store them there permanently without copying them to the new email system, if you like.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 4:24:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.

I haven't used the 'archive' feature, so I'll have to fiddle with it.  And I'm sad to say that I don't even HAVE a flash drive.  Costco has them for pretty cheap though, so I'll have to pick some up.  It'll be a pain, since my only USB ports are in the way back of my computer.

I have two computer geek brothers who are happy to build this for me, and I've already ordered nearly everything from Newegg.  How does this list sound to you guys? (I'm just going to copy most of it, since much of it's jibberish to me)

New case (It's PINK.... pretty gaudy, but it was cheap ) with 80mm fan and 120 mm fan and 420 W power supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

ABIT IP35P ATX Intel Motherboard

Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (I'm told that this is the RAM, so I don't know why they don't just call it that... )

XFX GeForce 8800 GT PVT88PYDF4 Video Card

Koutech IO-RCM620 USB 2.0 3.5"/5.25" Card Reader

and then a new Linksys wireless router, and some thermal compound...

Grand total is less than $700 with the rebates.

I don't listen to music on my desktop, and I'm most definitely NOT a gamer, so I have no idea if I need a sound card or not.  I guess that this motherboard (most motherboards now?) already has a sound card type thing built into it.

And I *REFUSE* to learn Vista..... not until I'm forced to, dragged, kicking, screaming, and clawing my way to it.  So he's giving me a new copy of his XP Pro again.

Any feedback on Norton Internet Security 2008?

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If you use Outlook (not outlook express) do a full-disc search for all files ending with "pst" (you'll type *.pst into the search dialog).  You'll likely find "outlook.pst" and "archive.pst".

These are your outlook data files.  Just copy 'em onto CD or wherever.

The default location for pst files is

c:\documents and settings\[your userid]\application data\microsoft\outlook

I keep mine in a different place because I hate M$'s stoopid default directory conventions.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Norton Internet Security is a waste of space.  I run Bitdefender on my machine at home and, with some safe browsing habits, have yet to get a virus.

Bitdefender
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 12:48:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you use Outlook (not outlook express) do a full-disc search for all files ending with "pst" (you'll type *.pst into the search dialog).  You'll likely find "outlook.pst" and "archive.pst".

I keep mine in a different place because I hate M$'s stoopid default directory conventions.

pst are for personal files; she'll also need ost for outlook stores.
Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:19:56 PM EDT
[#7]
why is that geek getting you dual core, they should get you QUAD Core !

Tell them to get you the INTEL Q6600 chip ! that is my suggestion on that one since I am in the process of builing one myself and i have settle on that.  

Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 Wolfdale 2.66GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8200 - Retail
Processors Type: Desktop
Series: Core 2 Duo
FSB: 1333MHz
L2 Cache: 6MB
Manufacturing Tech: 45 nm
64 bit Support: Yes

VS

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model  
Processors Type: Desktop
Series: Core 2 Quad
FSB: 1066MHz
L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB
L2 Cache: 2 x 4MB
Manufacturing Tech: 65 nm
64 bit Support: Yes

Link Posted: 7/15/2008 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

pst are for personal files; she'll also need ost for outlook stores.

As stated.  Look for your .PST and .OST files.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 7:14:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Does anyone know how to get this archive.pst file into my new Outlook?  The new version is Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, but I don't know what the old one was.... it was definitely Outlook and not Express though.

I have the .pst file on my desktop, but none of my programs will seem to open it, and when I dragged it into the new Outlook, it gave me an "Outlook has blocked this file" message.

What a pain in the keester this has all been.

I already have to return the new power supply since it burned up on me in less than 48 hours.
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#10]
open outlook
tools, options, mail setup
data files
add file
select your file
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 11:20:49 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
open outlook
tools, options, mail setup
data files
add file
select your file

Thank you!  

Now I'm going to have to wait for the new power supply now though....  I can't even get it to turn on.

I'll give that a shot in a few days....
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 5:05:04 PM EDT
[#12]
If you are not a gamer, then a separate sound card is not necessary. A decent set of speakers, no more than $30-40 should do just fine with the on-board sound from the motherboard

That computer should last you for a long time!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top