Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2008 10:34:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 10:47:25 AM EDT
[#1]
truecrypt
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#2]
TrueCrypt

you can either create an encrypted "vault" which is just a file that needs truecrypt to decrypt it...

OR

you can encrypt the entire thumbdrive/partition which requires truecrypt to mount the drive...

the new TC 6.0 offers full disk encryption...
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
truecrypt

I agree
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 5:04:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I alway recommend TrueCrypt as well.  I use it daily.

However, it should always be pointed out that you must have admin privs on the PC you are using to mount the encrypted volume.  If that isn't an issue for you then TrueCrypt will treat you right.  The developers are really into data security.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looking to see if there is any free encryption software you guys recommend.

If you are on a Mac you can create an encrypted file that can be mounted like a disk with Disk Utility.
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:25:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I played with it for a little while today. Didn't get it to work right. I know it's me.

bama what were you trying to do?

encrypt a whole USB drive or make a virtual encrypted drive (.tc file) on an unencrypted USB drive?
Link Posted: 7/9/2008 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/10/2008 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#9]
if you're using XP, Vista, 2003, or 2008, you can use EFS. It's built-in to Windows. If you're using Vista, you can use bitlocker, which is also built-in.

In any case, BACK UP YOUR KEYS.
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:07:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
if you're using XP, Vista, 2003, or 2008, you can use EFS. It's built-in to Windows. If you're using Vista, you can use bitlocker, which is also built-in.

ok i am looking into using encryption I have vista ultimate.I looked at bit locker and the writeup is for IT .Is this simple enough that the igorant can read through it and manage to get it to work?Is it as good as truecrypt? If i tried to use truecrypt would i have a conflict since bitlocker according to you is already on the machine?Thanks so much
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ok i am looking into using encryption I have vista ultimate.I looked at bit locker and the writeup is for IT .Is this simple enough that the igorant can read through it and manage to get it to work?Is it as good as truecrypt? If i tried to use truecrypt would i have a conflict since bitlocker according to you is already on the machine?Thanks so much

bitlocker is easy to enable. It encrypts your entire hard drive. Your machine needs a TPM module.

Honestly, it's dead simple to use. There's no conflict. Go to computer, properties, search for bitlocker, and it will walk you through it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
truecrypt

+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:11:35 PM EDT
[#14]
What is the OP's goal?  I see EFS and BitLocker mentioned but if the goal is portable encryption of a USB device then these most likely are not the best choices.  If you want to just encrypt files on a machine you are using then these may be an option.  

Most of the time when people ask about thumb drives and encryption it's to accomplish two things:  1) Allow me to use the files on two or more machines that can perform the encryption and decryption and 2) not worry about compromising the data on the delivery device (USB drive) when transported between those machines.  This purpose is better suited for TrueCrypt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top