Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2008 7:01:41 PM EDT
So, when you start the computer (my wife's), everything starts up like it's going to work... allowing you to select the user you wish to log on as... then BAM I get the, "Windows Explorer has generated errors and needs to close."  followed closely by "Dr Watson has generated errors and needs to close."  

None of the icons are on the desktop.  The taskbar is there (with the start-menu and clock and all that), but when you put the cursor over the taskbar, it goes to the hour glass.  

I've searched MSN help and tried every safe-mode, DOS and reboot trick I know...

This all happened when my wife downloaded a windows update (don't know which one.)  

The DOS mode works just fine, so, at worst case, I can copy the my documents folder onto a thumb-drive and use the "format C" option, but I'd prefer not to do that.

All help is appreciated.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:15:13 PM EDT
[#1]
google "xp system restore from command prompt " You will need the XP or system restore disk to boot up from I just re read that you can get to a dos prompt.

...Also I have saved a few computers from the blue screen of death by booting up to a command prompt and running "chkdsk /p"

try the chkdsk first, IM me and I'll talk you through it by phone if you like. If the check disk doesn't fix it, the system restore will. ( pick a date when it was working fine and restore to it)

as a last resort, and I mean last resort you could run an emergency repair ...but that leads to other issues.

Here, I googled it for you.

if you can get to "safe mode " command prompt you can try this.

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
support.microsoft.com/kb/304449
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
google "xp system restore from command prompt " You will need the XP or system restore disk to boot up from

...Also I have saved a few computers from the blue screen of death by booting up to a command prompt and running "chkdsk /p"

try the chkdsk first, IM me and I'll talk you through it by phone if you like. If the check disk doesn't fix it, the system restore will. ( pick a date when it was working fine and restore to it)

as a last resort, and I mean last resort you could run an emergency repair ...but that leads to other issues.

Here, I googled it for you.

support.microsoft.com/kb/304449

already tried the chkdsk and the system restore.  I also tried the holding-the-shift-after-logging-on trick to make all the programs that automatically start up not be so automatic... all with no luck

Unfortunately, my wife tells me that her computer didn't come with any system restore disks... seems to be a trend these days...

What is this emergency repair you speak of?
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
emergency repair is done with a restore or XP disk. Sorry.

The only other thing I can suggest is throwing the drive in another machine and running antivirus and disk utilities on it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
emergency repair is done with a restore or XP disk. Sorry.

The only other thing I can suggest is throwing the drive in another machine and running antivirus and disk utilities on it.

they're both laptops, so, that is going to be tricky... thanks for your help, though... I appreciate it.  
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Is there a restore partition on the laptop ? sometimes they ship with a D partition with the OS etc on it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:37:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You didn't make the restore disk when you first got the computer?

Will it boot to the safe mode? system restore in accessories/system tools if it will.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You didn't make the restore disk when you first got the computer?

The me part of we did not make the disk, no... I had no idea that they sold computers without restore disks until about 3 hours ago... mine has disks...

Will it boot to the safe mode? system restore in accessories/system tools if it will.

Safe mode has similar windows explorer problems as normal mode.  The system restore does not unfuck the problem... I've tried multiple dates with no effect.  
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:57:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Did you try logging in then holding the left shift key down so no startup programs start up?
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Did you try logging in then holding the left shift key down so no startup programs start up?

Yes (three times)... no effect.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:05:03 PM EDT
[#10]
virus
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
virus

That's what I'm thinking... Unfortunately, I can't get the damn thing up and running so I can run any of my anti-virus software... anyone know how to slave a laptop hard-drive to another laptop so I can run the software directly from my computer on her harddrive?
Matt
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
virus

This thread sounds like what my Dad just went through.  He tried to download an update for his media player.  After the download, he started seeing "beetles" walking across his screen leaving a blue trail as they walk.  He was prompted for an "update" to the media player after opening an email he had gotten.    That was the problem right there.  VIRUS.  Just wanted to share.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Another thing to try is: boot with a linux distro (puppylinux or slacware) and try to read the HD from that.

I *think* you could see the second partition that way - if there is one, or if what ails your comp hasn't wiped the partition info.

That may enable you to extract data/files/etc before moving on to more drastic measures.

Good Luck!

ETA: Reading comprehension is gooood!

Ok, here's a place to try:
ubcd.sourceforge.net/

That lets you build a boot disk in linux with an antivirus scanner in it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is there a restore partition on the laptop ? sometimes they ship with a D partition with the OS etc on it.

QFT.

When you first start booting it up, watch carefully and see if it offers a "factory reset" option. Some laptops will come with a hidden partition that will restore your C drive to factory standards.

what is the make/model of the lappy?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:41:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

QFT.

When you first start booting it up, watch carefully and see if it offers a "factory reset" option. Some laptops will come with a hidden partition that will restore your C drive to factory standards.

what is the make/model of the lappy?

There's no factory reset option under the F8 screen.  According to my wife, there IS supposed to be a D drive with a partition... I'm looking for it right now.  

It's a Sony VAIO PCG-6G4L... No "D" drive (of E,F,G,H,I,J,K,etc drive either).  I'm going to call Sony for some reload disks... we'll see how that goes... then, my wife is buying a Mac... haha!
Matt
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]
not F8.  It will be an option like F2 or delete.  I"m looking at the model now.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:51:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

does it give another model, like VGNxxxxx?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:52:42 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

There was nothing about it under the F2 menu either.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:54:06 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, just the one I wrote.  I just googled it and it seems the Sony VAIO PCG-6G4L is the VGNS460.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:58:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, just the one I wrote.  I just googled it and it seems the Sony VAIO PCG-6G4L is the VGNS460.
Matt

the sony support site has like twenty models that come up when you input the PCG-6G4L.

Just browsing, I can't tell if they had a recovery partition.  If it's like the Sony I have, it has a recovery partition, but it's only accessible via a pre-installed program that creates recovery discs for you from encrypted ISOs.  I never made the recovery DVDs and was forced to pay Sony like $50 for recovery discs.  Luckily, they came in about five days.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#21]

Have you tried booting into safe mode and then running system restore?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:11:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Matt

the sony support site has like twenty models that come up when you input the PCG-6G4L.

Just browsing, I can't tell if they had a recovery partition.  If it's like the Sony I have, it has a recovery partition, but it's only accessible via a pre-installed program that creates recovery discs for you from encrypted ISOs.  I never made the recovery DVDs and was forced to pay Sony like $50 for recovery discs.  Luckily, they came in about five days.

I found the same thing... I guess we'll be waiting a few days.  Thanks for looking.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Have you tried booting into safe mode and then running system restore?

Yes.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 11:37:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Why not re-install windows into another directory and grab the files you need then wipe the thing?
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 12:12:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Why not re-install windows into another directory and grab the files you need then wipe the thing?

Because I'm too cheap to buy the windows disks.
Matt
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:20:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Pilot error.

Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:32:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Pilot error.

Funny man...
Matt
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:37:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I have something similar to this and I love it.

External enclosure

Put the bad HD in it and plug it into the USB port of the good computer.  Then you can scan, retrieve files etc.

$20.00

RadioShack
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 7:05:46 PM EDT
[#29]
I second the use of a USB bootable linux distro such as Puppy 4.00 to scan the hard drive.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top