Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2008 4:19:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:32:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Take a look at the Bomgar appliances.  I think the 100 model (?) is the right fit if you only need 1 or 2 support users.

ETA: Just saw that you had some price concerns about those products.  The Bomgar stuff is going to run around $2000 a license plus yearly update/support fees.

Link Posted: 6/1/2008 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the free version of logmein.com.  Works for surfing arfcom while I am at work.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:17:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I use the free logmein to help my mother in law with stuff in MS. I also use it to access my laptop when I am at work. It seems to work pretty well. I dig the fact that it sets up it's own tunnel so you don't have to configure any port forwarding on the router, makes things easier.
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 6:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Neither, use/enable RDP and use port 3389.  It's free.  

If your company will let you, request access to company VPN to let you in, then RDP.  

Just like having your desktop at work.  It IS your desktop.  :)  
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 8:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
For 90% of our clients, I use my own VPN account on their VPN/Router/Firewall box. Establish a connection and RDP from there. On the other 10% that don't have a VPN solution, half of them we have enabled RDP on their servers and set the firewall to accept incoming connections only from our IP's on that port. The other half of those, we just put them on our logmein account that we have. Currently we have something like 110 servers or workstations on the logmein account.

For personal stuff, I use logmein on my PC's and my familie's PC's to support them.

-d
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:09:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:13:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i thought logme in was a 30 day trial...

The free version for home use doesn't have a trial period. But doesn't have features such as file transfer and others.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 3:30:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:38:52 AM EDT
[#10]
we use Gotomypc at work at the 15 user account connection level, and it works flawlessly, imho.  Easy to set up too.  Not familiar with the other program

eta:  why not use remote desktop?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If your company will let you, request access to company VPN to let you in, then RDP.  

Enable & open RDP over the default port to the internet?  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:28:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Enable & open RDP over the default port to the internet?  

thats what im saying....

the only thing I use rdp for is internal lan stuff.  not so much over the interweb anymore

It's not so bad to do over a custom port with a strong password that you change frequently (like monthly).

A good freeware password utility:  Keepass
Link Posted: 6/5/2008 5:06:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i thought logme in was a 30 day trial...

The free version for home use doesn't have a trial period. But doesn't have features such as file transfer and others.

I need to put the free version on my mom's and in-law's PCs so I don't have to go over there. Of course yesterday mom's connection was down so that wouldn't have helped. Right now I just use VNC and SFTP.

I use RemotelyAnywhere on my machine and it works great. I've had it for more years than I can remember.

ETA: w00t! Installed and remotely controlled.
Link Posted: 6/7/2008 5:56:47 AM EDT
[#15]
If you use PCanywhere or others, you should change the ports you use!  They are well known by hackers and those are open ports they scan for.

It's more of a PITA to set up, but much more secure.
How to change RDP listen port in Windows XP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top