BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2008 6:15:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/29/2008 6:20:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep.

Most registrars do that.

People search for a domain and then after 3 days they register it under their name.

Happens all the time.

I just type any web address I want into IE and if I get a 404 it's probably free.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/2/2008 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Just do a whois on somerandomshit.com, haharipedyouofftoo.com, dnsthievingarsehole.com, nohairpieforyou.com, justcostyoutwobucks.com, gotthejokeyet.com...

Every time they register that shit they are out something like $2.50.

Hell, write a perl script that usesadictionary.com
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Just do a whois on somerandomshit.com, haharipedyouofftoo.com, dnsthievingarsehole.com, nohairpieforyou.com, justcostyoutwobucks.com, gotthejokeyet.com...

Every time they register that shit they are out something like $2.50.

Hell, write a perl script that usesadictionary.com

Not correct, there is an "add grace period" where the registrar can keep the domain for up to (I think) 5 days without being charged by the registry.

A lot of unscrupulous registrars make use of that to "sample " for domains getting lots of type in traffic then they keep the domain with an advertising page on it.

Edit to add: if he is lucky OP will probably find the domain available again now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top