Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2008 10:10:10 AM EDT
link

Same exact issue only with an Inspiron 1520!!!!!!!  Since it is the same problem I know it is something I am doing wrong.  I formatted the drive since the OS was jacked.  I downloaded all the drivers on a jump drive and installed them from there.  When searching for the drivers I read the card's model # and mac address in order to configure it as desired.  I'm used to XP so I know it is something I am doing wrong....   Anyway, it locates the card and tries to connect ONLY to secure networks.  It will not try to connect to an unsecure network.  I took Cruze5's advice and even tried to remove the card and reinstall it physically.  No luck.  At this point there is no anti-virus protection because it has not been on the net.  So I know there are no firewall issues preventing the connection.  

Any new ideas?  I'm at a loss...
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 12:58:23 PM EDT
[#1]
is this laptop hooked uptothe same router the original system is hooked up too?

do have have a computer thats hardwired to this 2nd router(if its a 2nd router)?  does the internet not work or stop working on it ??  
Link Posted: 4/11/2008 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#2]
click Start

then Control Panel

then Network Connections

Right click your wireless adapter, then click properties

check: use Windows to mange wireless connections is checked

somewhere in there, is a pull down tab that says "only connect to secure access points"

change that to connect to all.

OK

then reboot

(the above procedure is from memory, it may be missing a step in the middle)
Link Posted: 4/20/2008 12:50:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, but neither solution yeilded any results.  I also noticed that Vista is not reading the names of wireless networks correctly.  For example: Joes is read as Joe's.  It adds an ' when it thinks it needs to be there.  Something isn't right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top