Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2007 5:32:18 AM EDT
im debating on switching from windoz remote desktop software to vnc.   i have the personal version.    i mainly use it on the lan.      

but if it works just as well for 128bit aes with vnc im gonna switch

also, any reason why i should use enterprise edition ?

thanks for any input, or any other suggestions
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I think that would probably be useless.  What kind of LAN are you doing to be using this on, just your home network?

You are at basically no risk.
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#2]
i've used it over a lan for a while.

im wanting to use it over the internet now
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#3]
RDP uses 128-bit RC4 encryption by default.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 12/1/2007 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
RDP uses 128-bit RC4 encryption by default.

-Foxxz

i was waiting for you to respond  

Link Posted: 12/1/2007 1:21:38 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a PDF paper here that looks at the RDP encryption details.  The short answer is it's vulnerable to man-in-the-middle attacks, of the sort you could expect to experience on a wireless LAN or after an ARP poisoning attack.

I use RDP over the Internet all the time, but always through an SSH tunnel or a secure VPN ala Cisco.  Come to think of it, the same guidance applies to VNC as well.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 7:09:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I use RDP over the Internet all the time, but always through an SSH tunnel or a secure VPN ala Cisco.  Come to think of it, the same guidance applies to VNC as well.

That's the key, we use it all the time for spot remote admin tasks, but only through a VPN.
Link Posted: 12/2/2007 11:35:32 AM EDT
[#7]
openvpn.net/

Depending on your needs openvpn is really excellent. Fairly easy to setup if you know networking. Instead of forwarding individual ports it creates a virtual network adapter. I use it for keeping persistent links to remote machines, friends and parents network, and to access my windows networks at home when I'm on the road.

-Foxxz
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top