Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2007 8:39:43 PM EDT
I really like FoxitReader a lot!  Many times better than Adobe, though it's been about 1.5 years since I tried Adobe.

Here's the basic question:  I have Foxit set up as a shortcut, and the only way I can open PDF docs is to first open Foxit, then download the PDF, and the doc opens.

Is that just the way it is?  If not, can one of you explain (in easy to understand terms) how to set this up so when I download a PDF, it defaults to Foxit, opens Foxit and the doc appears?

If you can, I'd be most grateful.

TIA.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Just off the fly here:

right mouse click on a pdf, go 'open with', select 'choose a program', go to the folder where you have Foxit, and select the Foxit program (should end in '.exe'.)

This is assuming your using Windows XP.

I use Foxit too as my 'go to' pdf viewer.  When I need to use Adobe, I do the whole right mouse click thing.

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 8:59:43 AM EDT
[#2]
or just open Foxit, go to 'help' on the toolbar, and select 'set as default pdf reader'.

I just verified it on my Foxit Reader.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 1:21:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions.

Something must be screwed up on my machine.  Foxit is already checked as default reader.

I had no success with the right click method.  It keeps dumping me back to "my downloads" where I keep all my pdf files stored so essentially I'm right back where I started, and was never able to find the foxit.exe folder.

I appreciate your efforts.  I guess I'm not smart enough to pull this off.  It makes my head hurt!  
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:55:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Just off the fly here:

right mouse click on a pdf, go 'open with', select 'choose a program', go to the folder where you have Foxit, and select the Foxit program (should end in '.exe'.)

This is assuming your using Windows XP.

I use Foxit too as my 'go to' pdf viewer.  When I need to use Adobe, I do the whole right mouse click thing.

+1  
I installed and had the same issue.  Make sure "always use the program" is checked off, then you should be good to go.

Adobe Reader used to be good, but then it got WAY too bloated.  Got tired waiting for the app to load, even if the PDF is only a few kb.  

Foxit rocks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top