Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/5/2007 6:49:44 PM EDT
I'm trying to update my small file/print server on my home network. it's an older machine, and I was thinking about using a Linux OS on it, to make it run a little better/faster/smoother.

Is there any site on how to get Linux & XP to play well together? One that is not written Just for the IT/Linux/Networking geek?

Any suggestions on what distro of Linux? (I was thinking of Ubuntu, or one of it's offshoots.
I'd like it to have a good GUI...as I don't speak Linux..yet.

Thanks!
Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a very easy distro for server use: smeserver.org/

I had a previous version running on a P-133 computer with 128mb of ram, so I think your older computer should run fine.  Installation will be somewhat slow on a computer that slow, and the computer will have to be bootable from CD;  once in operation though, it ran fine.

Getting file and printer serving running on a windows network was very easy from the control panel (remote) interface.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 1:01:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Tall_Shadow, Ubuntu would be a good choice.  If you install Webmin, it will make most admin tasks on your computer fairly simple.  You can configure Samba (for Windows file sharing) through Webmin.

After you get the hang of Linux, you can drop the GUI stuff and it would run even better on an older machine (and require less disk space).
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
here are a few sites i used to setup my ubuntu file server on my windows network

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Tall_Shadow, Ubuntu would be a good choice.  If you install Webmin, it will make most admin tasks on your computer fairly simple.  You can configure Samba (for Windows file sharing) through Webmin.

After you get the hang of Linux, you can drop the GUI stuff and it would run even better on an older machine (and require less disk space).

Is webmin part of Ubuntu, or a seperate program?

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
here are a few sites i used to setup my ubuntu file server on my windows network

I see I have some more reading to do........

Thanks!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I see I have some more reading to do........

Thanks!

Tall Shadow

just a bit, i skipped to most of the things i needed to know when i needed to know them. it only took about an hour to get it all setup, and there has been no maintenance in 6 months. really a rock solid server distro.

would have taken less time to setup but it took me a little while to realize that my server had a bad cd drive
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top